The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Thats the more accurate looking corkscrew I've seen, its almost identicle to the real one, apart from the trees and that yellow truck, stupid noob iracing can't even get that right, pffft.
Quote from A.Ulleri :Solstice sucks...

Just curious, if they had the Miata instead of the Solstice, would people complain?
Quote from Intrepid :This track thing to me is a red herring. The real tracks exist in reality. If accuracy is SO important save up and go race on them for real instead of some cheap substitute on your PC

So I guess physics accuracy is a red herring also. Lets all race need for speed and if physics accuracy is SO important save up and go and buy a real race car.

Quote from Intrepid :
Due to the G forces NOT acting upon your body, and inaccurate phsyics (which they will be) finding a good set up with a sim is totally pointless as you won't drive the same leaving the data invalid.

It's merely a vanity thing to have BANG on tracks. Yes it's nice to drive a 'real' track in a game, but it's nothing more than icing. If you paying this fee to pay for laser scanned tracks thats pointless. IMO I would rather not. In fact I find it VASTLY more interesting, and challenging driving newly designed tracks from scratch than apparently 'expensive' laser ones. SIm racing gives you the oppurtunity to challenge yourself in new ways, rather than driving tracks that ALREADY exist.

The real meat and two veg is the driving model, and online racing. iRacing does deliver on merit I am in no doubt (from what I have heard), but so what? NetKar, when working, is supreme, and LFS is just as good.

You dont seem to understand the concept of 'simulation'. The point is to simulate reality as closely as possible which is why accurate tracks create a better simulation experience than fantasy tracks.

Quote :
If people are happy to invest in iRacing so be it, but if your prepared to invest THAT MUCH on sims then surely why not just go the whole hog and do it for real?

Since when is $13 a year considered THAT MUCH? I bet you spend more on lunch every day. Its peanuts and not comparing to thousands and thousands for real racing.
It's $13 a month, which is a hell of a lot less than I spend in a day in food...

Real physics are a hell of a lot more important to me than real tracks - I will never race on RA for real (as i think it's a terrible, terrible track), and so if bump x is a metre out i don't care - if the car will handle oddly then it IS a big deal...
Quote from thisnameistaken :Pfft! The trees aren't even the same.

The first one is. The rest of them probably changed since the scan was done.

To those crying about the pricing, Iracing have so far invested 18 million into the product so the pricing is very neccessary and would be impossible to regain without consistent flow of revenue. Thats the price we have to pay for the next level of simulation. If you dont like it , stick to driving the same old crap forever.
Quote from mikey_G :I'm sure some lfs fanboi's will complain about the trees not being the same

Missing branches = fail!

Credit where credit is due, they did a great job there.
Quote from Monty :To those crying about the pricing, Iracing have so far invested 18 million into the product so the pricing is very neccessary

But is it good value? It's a valid question. Anyone can spend 18 million - give me 18 million and be amazed at how effortlessly I waste most of it - it would be an absolute doddle.

Like I said already I'm going to try it, because I'm curious, but I won't subscribe for a year unless it really is a revolutionary sim. It is expensive.
Quote from thisnameistaken :But is it good value? It's a valid question. Anyone can spend 18 million - give me 18 million and be amazed at how effortlessly I waste most of it - it would be an absolute doddle.

Like I said already I'm going to try it, because I'm curious, but I won't subscribe for a year unless it really is a revolutionary sim. It is expensive.

It depends on what your looking for. If you dont desire the absolute highest quality of simulation, then its a waste of money. If you do then its dirt cheap imo.
Quote from Monty :It depends on what your looking for. If you dont desire the absolute highest quality of simulation, then its a waste of money. If you do then its dirt cheap imo.

But nothing curently suggests that it's teh next-gen of sim racing. Sounds, while sounding great, are just samples, which no matter how good they sound won't give the same feeling as simulated sounds, there's nothing better than the sound of a car strugling on an uphill, while the sample would sound the same on the uphill and on the flat surface... so, nothing next-gen about the sounds...
Graphics are good, while i can't judge the physics by the videos, Legends on the oval looked pretty realistic, while Radical looked too rFactorish to me... I'll check them out for myself though, at the friends house... since there's no demo (great way to atract customers and pay back 18 mil )
Quote from Boris Lozac :But nothing curently suggests that it's teh next-gen of sim racing. Sounds, while sounding great, are just samples, which no matter how good they sound won't give the same feeling as simulated sounds, there's nothing better than the sound of a car strugling on an uphill, while the sample would sound the same on the uphill and on the flat surface... so, nothing next-gen about the sounds...
Graphics are good, while i can't judge the physics by the videos, Legends on the oval looked pretty realistic, while Radical looked too rFactorish to me... I'll check them out for myself though, at the friends house... since there's no demo (great way to atract customers and pay back 18 mil )

Pretty much all the beta tester comments ive seen say it is a next generation driving experience. I think simulated sounds are the biggest waste of time in simulation history. Who the hell would really notice the difference between samples, and the change in tone up a hill, seriously? How many years has it been and LFS sounds still sound embaressing and like C64?
Quote from Monty :It depends on what your looking for. If you dont desire the absolute highest quality of simulation, then its a waste of money. If you do then its dirt cheap imo.

Assuming it is the absolute highest quality of simulation and that they didn't crap 18 million down the bog. You seem pretty convinced it's the former - what are you basing that on?

Quote from Monty :Pretty much all the beta tester comments ive seen say it is a next generation driving experience.

So you haven't tried it yourself. See, I'm waiting to try it myself before I make any bold declarations about its quality.
Quote from Boris Lozac :But nothing curently suggests that it's teh next-gen of sim racing. Sounds, while sounding great, are just samples, which no matter how good they sound won't give the same feeling as simulated sounds, there's nothing better than the sound of a car strugling on an uphill, while the sample would sound the same on the uphill and on the flat surface... so, nothing next-gen about the sounds...

It's possible that you're right, it might sound the same but you're being presumptuous since you don't know how they implemented the samples. Maybe they did them under tons of different loads?

Besides, LFS's sounds don't change "on an uphill", anyway since you're really at WoT most of the time regardless. Uphill WoT = any other time WoT really
Quote from thisnameistaken :Assuming it is the absolute highest quality of simulation and that they didn't crap 18 million down the bog. You seem pretty convinced it's the former - what are you basing that on?

Based on the designer being a genius and producing the absolute cutting edge simulations for the last 20 years. He has never failed to raise the bar with every release so his track record is proven. Hes the only guy I would have trusted to live up to this hype and from what i hear, he has. I havent heard a single person bashing the driving experience. Some dont like the cost or restrictive system and ratings ect but nothing negative about the driving, which must mean its amazing.
Quote from Ahriman4891 :Just curious, if they had the Miata instead of the Solstice, would people complain?

Of course they would. People will always fine something to complain about.
I've heard from some people that the tyres don't feel connected to the road, but regardless I'm waiting until I've tried it for myself before I tell anybody else whether it's a good product or not.

Whereas you're happy to declare it a winner without even trying it, which makes you look a bit of a shill, frankly.
Quote from Monty :Pretty much all the beta tester comments ive seen say it is a next generation driving experience. I think simulated sounds are the biggest waste of time in simulation history. Who the hell would really notice the difference between samples, and the change in tone up a hill, seriously? How many years has it been and LFS sounds still sound embaressing and like C64?

I think you're really selling LFS short here. It's really easy to criticize it since it's something that's been here for a long time, and improvements have been incremental. And quite frankly you're probably just bored of it by now. Step back a bit, and take a broad look at what LFS has accomplished. It's quite a lot.

I notice the sound engine. When I spin out and the engine stalls, the car is in gear and still moving, there's a very noticeable difference in the way the engine sounds when pressing on the throttle, versus off. That's is incredibly cool, and it's this attention to detail that speaks volumes about the quality of the sim. I could just as easily say laser scanning to millimeter precision is of no consequence to the experience when you're stuck inside the cockpit anyway. Of course that's absurd, the devs should pursue all available avenues of "perfection".

LFS doesn't have the sexiness of iRacing, but given their base subscription package, it does offer a whole lot more. LFS physics don't suck. Just remember that, no matter how bored of it you are.

Credit where credit is due.
Quote from A.Ulleri :Of course they would. People will always fine something to complain about.

I have a feeling that many folks think Solstice is "boring" because it's American. However, according to this video, the platform is really not bad--the only complaint Tsuchiya had was overly long gears, which as I understand is fixable as soon as your safety rating is a bit up.
Quote from Mattesa :Son of a b..... they're definitely onto something with this phaser blasting thingy.

"BIG PIC"

Oh yeah a perfect match
Attached images
perfect.jpg
great basing all of his oppinions on others and calling others retards... your not really helping your case here buddy
I like the LFS sound engine in it's current state. I think sampled sounds are better for iRacing though since they're only modeling real cars. For instance, you can definitely tell the Formula Mazda is a rotary - something I think would be pretty difficult to do with the LFS sound engine.
Quote from BBO@BSR :Oh yeah a perfect match

3D?

I'm sure the camera angles aren't the exact same.
Quote :I think simulated sounds are the biggest waste of time in simulation history. Who the hell would really notice the difference between samples, and the change in tone up a hill, seriously?

The devil/god is in the details.

Quote :Oh yeah a perfect match

That's one thing laser scanning should be able to take pretty good care of.. the guesswork involved in modeling something from reality. The result should be pretty much 'right', but it's the resolution you go down to (ie, the money you're able to spend, CPU etc) that will really determine just how right you can be.
Hmm. That screenshot really does look pretty good, although i agree with Jakg on this one. The accuracy of the circuit doesn't really matter very much to me, it's the way the cars feel that is important. You don't want to end up paying $20 a month for a track that is accurate but cars that handle like the majority of rfactors countless mods.

I will definately buy or 'rent' :P the game for a month, try it and make my own opinion of it as you shouldn't let yourself be put of by other's views.
Quote from BBO@BSR :Oh yeah a perfect match

I just had a better look myself. The in-game looks like it's got a higher camera, but if you compare the trackside objects it's actually the real-life shot that has the higher camera. And if you try to match any of the curves from one to the other it just doesn't work at all.

Maybe it's just from a weird angle - hard to tell with those crazy slopes going on - but you're right it doesn't looks very accurate!
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG