The online racing simulator
a Q, will the DEMO users now have time shown on lfsworld, milage, ...?

If i drive on DEMO (s2 user), will my milage be counted?

EDIT: Will the patch be "forced" to all (autodownload?)? Or will this be an option?
I think this is a great addon. I've only one question. Please consider the option of demo-users be able to access an S2-server IF this is running a combo with demo-content. If I understand correctly, it's now only possible if a server is limited to 12 connections but it would be very nice to have them on larger servers. The reason I ask this is because I run a demo-league which is spread over 2 servers. Hopefully this will be considered.
Unifiing the demo/licensed server system is certainly a great addition to the sim, it won't have any effect on licensed servers (that are running licensed combo's) and will hopefully clean up the demo side of things by making wreckers and the like accountable for their actions.

Of course, it's not infalable, but then again, the current (old) system was worse in that respect, so it's a good step forward.

Maybe this will go some way to bridge the demo-licensed user divide we see all too offen.....

I can't see the allowed demo cars on track being raised more than it has already, the demo already gives enough content to "demo" the sim, so unless the server is limited to 12 racers, then demo'er's won't see it.
Quote from mcgas001 :Great patch Scawen. I have a question: Did you have to swap the single player and multiplayer buttons around? I keep going into single player wondering where eveything is.

I might change that back. At one point I needed more space on the multiplayer screen and I like the "Multiplayer" button to like up with the "List of Hosts" button on the next screen, but how it is now the List of Hosts button could be moved back up again.

Quote from nesrulz :Great news for DEMO!

Yes, and very good news for S1 racers - many S2 servers are on S1 content so can be joined by S1 racers.

Quote from ru7 [SLO] :a Q, will the DEMO users now have time shown on lfsworld, milage, ...?

Right now they do. There are some thoughts of not displaying their stats but seeing as they only have 5 PB's (3 demo cars @ 2 demo tracks minus FBM Rallycross) I am still inclined to think they should be able to see these few stats.

Quote from ru7 [SLO] :If i drive on DEMO (s2 user), will my milage be counted?

Yes.

Quote from ru7 [SLO] :EDIT: Will the patch be "forced" to all (autodownload?)? Or will this be an option?

It's an option at first but I guess we will disable old demo online usage at some point. We'll see how much the old demo usage fades away when Patch Z is released.

Quote from Yisc[NL] :I think this is a great addon. I've only one question. Please consider the option of demo-users be able to access an S2-server IF this is running a combo with demo-content. If I understand correctly, it's now only possible if a server is limited to 12 connections but it would be very nice to have them on larger servers. The reason I ask this is because I run a demo-league which is spread over 2 servers. Hopefully this will be considered.

We will not let demo users run on larger servers. They must buy an S1 licence to get more.
That's a really brilliant idea, can't wait for the new patch coming out
tnx for reply, its a good step forward
Brilliant stuff Scawen, why didn't you think of this when I was in demo
This is a great improvement for s1 users!! now ther's more servers that I and others can join. ( didn't know that more s2 than s1 users drives fbm on s1 tracks:P)
Keep going this way... Great job, no comment...!
I absolutely love the demo licence thing. I go on demo alot to have a good race on XFG/BL2 and now this will reduce the amount of wreckers.

EDIT: Sorry if it's already been asked but if I am on a demo server if someone else does /find shaun463 will it say This user is on a demo host: Server name?
Quote from shaun463 :I absolutely love the demo licence thing. I go on demo alot to have a good race on XFG/BL2 and now this will reduce the amount of wreckers.

EDIT: Sorry if it's already been asked but if I am on a demo server if someone else does /find shaun463 will it say This user is on a demo host: Server name?

Demo and S1 / S2 hosts are 100% identical in behaviour other than : 1 track / 3 cars / 15 guests / 12 racers / no layouts.
I like your way of thinking, good idea to help unite demo and S1 to S2 !
Quote from Scawen :Right now they do. There are some thoughts of not displaying their stats but seeing as they only have 5 PB's (3 demo cars @ 2 demo tracks minus FBM Rallycross) I am still inclined to think they should be able to see these few stats.

It sounds like allowing the demo users stats is a good way to discourage the username jumping some people have voiced concerns about. People will be less likely to swap accounts if they have some investment in them.
#89 - xt
When i enter my details to go multiplayer, LFS asks for valid user name.
-
(geeman1) DELETED by Scawen : wrong response to valid post
-
(garph) DELETED by Scawen : wrong response to valid post
-
(Scawen) DELETED by Scawen : wrong response to valid post
-
(Damo74) DELETED by Scawen : wrong response to valid post
Quote from xt :When i enter my details to go multiplayer, LFS asks for valid user name.

Sorry about the previous posts (now deleted) we all misunderstood your post.
I know what the problem is. User names must be three letters long.
You registered very early before the three letter limit was set.

EDIT :

Can you register a new user name?
If you want I can change your old user's email to something else so you can register a new user name with the same email address.
Quote from Yisc[NL] :I think this is a great addon. I've only one question. Please consider the option of demo-users be able to access an S2-server IF this is running a combo with demo-content. If I understand correctly, it's now only possible if a server is limited to 12 connections but it would be very nice to have them on larger servers. The reason I ask this is because I run a demo-league which is spread over 2 servers. Hopefully this will be considered.

I think this is a good idea! Please remove the max. of 12 racers in the demo-content. Make it unlimited. It solves a lot of problems with demo-racers showing up or not showing up, full servers, or a second demo-league with almost no racers because the first server is full.
Quote from mcgas001 :Great patch Scawen. I have a question: Did you have to swap the single player and multiplayer buttons around? I keep going into single player wondering where eveything is.

Great, I wasn't the only one doing that and then thinking "Have I gone insane?!".

Good job Scawen!
Quote from Starbert :I think this is a good idea!

Yea yea, that is a great idea! and maybe in the process allow Demo users to drive FXR and XRR and FOX... FFS it's a demo people..
Quote from Starbert :I think this is a good idea! Please remove the max. of 12 racers in the demo-content. Make it unlimited. It solves a lot of problems with demo-racers showing up or not showing up, full servers, or a second demo-league with almost no racers because the first server is full.

It's a demo though that is meant to demonstrate LFS, using it for organised racing isn't part of it.
Quote from Boris Lozac :Yea yea, that is a great idea! and maybe in the process allow Demo users to drive FXR and XRR and FOX... FFS it's a demo people..

I know you meant that sarcastic but I think we have a valid point. Demo means just 2 tracks and 3 cars. So what's the problem in having them on an S2-server with max. 32 people. I don't want to enable 32 users for a demo-server, but if the admin or team is able to run an S2-server, why not let those people in? The admin or team paid their S2-license and if the server-settings match the demo-criteria let them join and experience the feeling of a bigger grid. This way they learn what it is to race in bigger field and encourage them to buy a license and have that same feeling with other cars and/or tracks. So to be clear, I don't want demo-servers to have an option of 32 drivers. I only want them to join an S2-server, which has the requirements for demo-users.
-
([RF]-art555) DELETED by [RF]-art555
Quote from [RF]-art555 :Isn't that clear?

Yes that's clear but I have the opinion that a good discussion can bring up a new point of view. If it's no after all, so be it, then at least we can say we tried in a normal way.
Quote from Yisc[NL] :I know you meant that sarcastic but I think we have a valid point. Demo means just 2 tracks and 3 cars. So what's the problem in having them on an S2-server with max. 32 people. I don't want to enable 32 users for a demo-server, but if the admin or team is able to run an S2-server, why not let those people in? The admin or team paid their S2-license and if the server-settings match the demo-criteria let them join and experience the feeling of a bigger grid. This way they learn what it is to race in bigger field and encourage them to buy a license and have that same feeling with other cars and/or tracks. So to be clear, I don't want demo-servers to have an option of 32 drivers. I only want them to join an S2-server, which has the requirements for demo-users.

Because, they could run a 32 car "demo" server, by simply opening a S2 server, running BL1/BL2 and FBM/XFG/XRG. It'd be stupid to have that, seeing it'd be easy to get around.
Quote from Yisc[NL] :I know you meant that sarcastic but I think we have a valid point. Demo means just 2 tracks and 3 cars. So what's the problem in having them on an S2-server with max. 32 people. I don't want to enable 32 users for a demo-server, but if the admin or team is able to run an S2-server, why not let those people in? The admin or team paid their S2-license and if the server-settings match the demo-criteria let them join and experience the feeling of a bigger grid. This way they learn what it is to race in bigger field and encourage them to buy a license and have that same feeling with other cars and/or tracks. So to be clear, I don't want demo-servers to have an option of 32 drivers. I only want them to join an S2-server, which has the requirements for demo-users.

I think they get enough as it is, they need and incentive to buy S2 and I don't think giving them more would work.

Besides I paid for my S2 licence and as harsh as it is I don't want a free demo user getting the same benefits as me, i.e. the full S2 server’s usage. Plus most people won’t want demo users in a grid that size, demo users can still wreck without the same consequences as S2 users.

I know allowing something like that would not go down well with most S2 users.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Because, they could run a 32 car "demo" server, by simply opening a S2 server, running BL1/BL2 and FBM/XFG/XRG. It'd be stupid to have that, seeing it'd be easy to get around.

I don't want to spam this thread full with my ideas so last reaction from my side. A demo-user should NOT be able to start a server with more then 12 connections and already isn't able to start an S2-server. The only thing I've asked for is an option (maybe make it a serverside option) to let them JOIN an S2-server if it's running demo-content. Nothing more and nothing less.
They can still start one though and get around it by using the dedicated server. That's why it's entirely a bad idea. Just because they can't start one in game, doesn't mean they couldn't start one in an dedi, and adding licence check to the dedi would be silly, for:
1) the dedi could get hacked to remove the licence check (a la crackers, and people who have removed the cheat protection system to hack.
2) I've paid my 24 quid (x3, because I have 3 licences but...), why do I want features that I've paid for to go to people who haven't paid anything? With 12 cars or whatever, they should be able to get a suitable taste of LFS.
This thread is closed

Test Patch Y18 - Licensed Demo System
(324 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG