The online racing simulator
#1 - senn
You know you're a long time LFS player if u can remember...
I want some of the older/long time players to add to this list but here's some stuff i recall from almost 5/6 years ago

- That LFS only had one track and 3 cars
- You had to earn credits to unlock the XRG and XRT
- The XRT had 6 gears
- You could adjust wheel track in pit

thats all i can remember now, the earliest stuff i have on my old pc is only 0.1c (august 02) but i had 2 computers before that with LFS. It's fun to play the old version and see how far it's come. It's truly amazing

So add to the list, what can YOU *points* remember about LFS of olde?
#2 - aoun
The MRT and SO Classic combination in s1 was very common.
The cars did not get damaged and could reset.

The cars had very dark tinted windows.
#4 - senn
s1 isn't old....well not really :P i mean 0.1 and before i seem to remember there being a .05 and even earlier...tho my memory does sometimes play tricks on me
I remember when everybody ran the xfg at the lowest rideheight and the widest wheelbase. Looked really stupid with the tires sticking out like that but was the way to go if you wanted to be competitive.

found this game when EA shut down the Motorcity Online server in late 2002
#6 - senn
yeah i found it after finding "Racer" (is that even still being worked on anymore?) haven't looked back
I think it's amazing that those old versions even WORK on a modern computer. Even then Scawen's coding skills were evident. And yes, I've been around since some of the very early public stuff. The first public, was that 'k'?
When xfg/blackwood was THE combo . When there was no fuel, no tire heat, no damage.. And then there were some gnarly servers that had fuel consumption programs running ,with pits stalls made of tires lol.

This isnt that old but i thought it was pretty cool from s2 demo http://www.colincobb.com/hotlaps/
This was soo fun , it was the ONLY hotlap chart and everybody who was anybody did it and it was quite and accomplishment to even be on the front page. Lots of good memories
#9 - JJ72
there use to be a huge tree at where the blackwood chicane is.
...pallukka, limiter and admkirk in their gtts' on bl1.
yea the tree lol and there was walls on each side of the curbs. The last corner was quite a bit diff too i remeber a lot of people would drive in the dirt before turn in, at least with the xfg
#12 - JJ72
and there use to be some stupid keyboard steering aid and the forum went beserk on whether we should get rid of it.
and we didnt have our own forums it was at rsc.net
GTi with 4WD and no keyboard support
Names like Cedje Dervo and Apex Racing Team
When the LFS logo was silver :P
Omg just think of the website back then... ohjjj
BH motorsports is supposed to be mentioned aswell
Quote :yeah i found it after finding "Racer" (is that even still being worked on anymore?) haven't looked back

What a coinsidence... I had just ended my Racer fetish when I found LFS. Ofcourse LFS is wholly better in all terms, as Racer is open source for the community to mod, if Im not mistaken.

I remember a Subaru WRX rally version and a track called Alpine Stroll or something similar absolutely shocked me when I tried it... it was bloody awesome for back then!
the highest curb in LFS on the old BW track, which you could use to do a half somersault with your car using a "proper" setup

that people changed the driver in the endurance races as in relay races, you had to hit your teammate's car for a driver change

that the XRT used to have two exhaust pipes, the FXO looked more ricey and had a huge wing
The increase of players in a server from 12 to 16.
The introduction of the MRT5.

Quote from Yiots :What a coinsidence... I had just ended my Racer fetish when I found LFS. Ofcourse LFS is wholly better in all terms, as Racer is open source for the community to mod, if Im not mistaken.

Racer is still being worked on. The source was only public to build it on other platforms, not to mod it, but it has more recently gone closed source.
Quote from atledreier :I think it's amazing that those old versions even WORK on a modern computer. Even then Scawen's coding skills were evident.

Given Scawen originally started working on LFS whilst at Lionhead, I'm not entirely sure if your statement is all that fair

Aaah, website being hosted on a blueyonder pwp, "crappy" silver logo and a whole host of other things Funsies
"predictive steering"!!! made it "easy" for us back-then keyboard drivers. I think that was dumped at about Patch G or H or something, it actually made me lose interest for a while (but then right back into it with the updated tyre physics).

the tree at blackwood chicane

there was no carpark

the different pitlane at blackwood with the little "rest area" after the pit exit
Graphics weren't good
Physics weren't as good
Blackwood straight had some bump, that was cool.
No skid marks (Early 2004?)

A really crappy LiveforSpeed logo

Halos around the brake lights
The amount of racers on demo outnumbered wreckers by 20 to 1
Everybody knew each other
Hoffmans GTI server on Blackwood was the place to be and you had people like Lefty kicking ass lap after lap.

ACR vs BR race at SO Long in the FXO's with real Boot Spoilers

Tag Team Racing where Scawen Joined in and thats where the View to Person button originated from.

Very Very low 1:30's was the time to set in the GTI at Blackwood.

To name a few
"Fordie was still pretty active"
RudiTurbo becoming the first ever person to go green in the 100% hotlaps chart. Was it him? My memory's not what it used to be. :fluffy:

Also swear words in the forum being replaced with this flower: [etals:]

Fordie I forgot about tag team racing (edit: Chaos mentioned it first) Reminds me as well, the massive arguments about bump drafting.

(280 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG