The online racing simulator
im just wondering how do u ppl reckon clutch overheating will work, and what happens when the clutch overheats?
Quote from HRT SHAUN :im just wondering how do u ppl reckon clutch overheating will work, and what happens when the clutch overheats?

Maybe it'll start acting randomly like you would have to press the clutch repeatidly untill it goes to the gear. No clue really, really good question. How does it happen in real life? (Dont have a car :P)
Quote from HRT SHAUN :im just wondering how do u ppl reckon clutch overheating will work, and what happens when the clutch overheats?

When you slip clutch it produces heat and starts to slip. So for example if you shift really quick and be on throttle lot before clutch grips, you will get clutch slippage that heats it up.
Quote from JTbo :When you slip clutch it produces heat and starts to slip. So for example if you shift really quick and be on throttle lot before clutch grips, you will get clutch slippage that heats it up.

And when it gets too hot, it won't grip anymore and will slip when you apply power. Kind of like when the brakes get too hot.

I wonder if Scawen added a gauge or indicator in the tire temp view for the clutch?
Quote from JTbo :When you slip clutch it produces heat and starts to slip. So for example if you shift really quick and be on throttle lot before clutch grips, you will get clutch slippage that heats it up.

thought as much, but then people using auto clutch wouldn't they have a big advantage as they wouldn't have to worry about this?
Quote from HRT SHAUN :thought as much, but then people using auto clutch wouldn't they have a big advantage as they wouldn't have to worry about this?

I think it was mentioned that even with auto clutch you would have to let go of the gas pedal so maybe if you dont do it right itll heat it up and start causing it to slip.

Btw does flat shifting heat up the clutch?
Quote from evilpimp :I think it was mentioned that even with auto clutch you would have to let go of the gas pedal so maybe if you dont do it right itll heat it up and start causing it to slip.

Btw does flat shifting heat up the clutch?

generally in racing when they "flat shift" they will still be using the clutch but it will just be pressing it while the accelerator is still being used, so effectively the clutch is still being slipped
Quote from HRT SHAUN :thought as much, but then people using auto clutch wouldn't they have a big advantage as they wouldn't have to worry about this?

Only if they use throttle cut, too, otherwise they have to lift a little.
Quote from evilpimp :Btw does flat shifting heat up the clutch?

How could it not?
But then if flat shifting is the same as the clutch sliping how is it slowing you down?

And btw Forbin i didnt say that i quoted that.

But if they flat shift they will get it too, at least I hope

I have destroyed clutch of one stupid FWD thing, tried to burn rubber with it as I got really annoyed by boss (company car) and I then managed to get it slip a bit at full rpm, few times more and it was clutch that slipped, well it was not long before it was slipping even when doing quick shifts and after I started to be near office (20km trip) damn thing started to slip even if I pushed throttle (handbrake that I 'forgot' did not caused any of this of course) so it took quite some time to make it into state of not moving but end result was brilliant, it did idle rather fine on 1st gear and did not manage to move no matter what you did to it

Stupid boss, his fault

Anyways after it gets hot it starts to slip more and more indeed and amount of slippage increases faster / longer you abuse.
Quote from HRT SHAUN :generally in racing when they "flat shift" they will still be using the clutch but it will just be pressing it while the accelerator is still being used, so effectively the clutch is still being slipped

However engine control units have program for flat shifting that cuts rpm when shifting so there is not so much slippage as if you would do it in LFS throttle floored.
Quote from Zachary Zoomy :we'll call it the "not as new as the newest car"

Reminds me of my neighbors when I still lived at my parents house. We called him Hoover, as that was his last name. There was Hoover, Hoover's brother, Hoover's other brother, and Hoover's dad. We never called them by their first names. That's all I know them by....

"Who you talking about, Hoover's brother?"

"No, Hoover's other brother..."

cant wait to burn my clutch
Quote from NSX_FReeDoM :cant wait to burn my clutch

LOL thats probably guna be the first thing ill try to do.
Stall the engin and burn my clutch.
Holy crap, 14000 views in one day!
lol, well people are interusted in this patch more then the others apperently. When is it gunna be realeased again? Before or after chrismas?
omg a new car!!!!!!1
Quote from JTbo :Has engine damage been speculated already? Maybe there actually is overheating now with radiator leaks and all? :hyper:

That would be a 1.2 ELEU

Quote from Hallen :BTW, if you are using a system of South Azimuth then 0 ° (360° or 400° for you Gon people) is South, North is 180° (or 200°) and everything is backwards anyway, so my question is valid either way you look at it. (And no, I didn't need to look that up on Wiki)

How does a 'merican know all that ... eh? (just for you Mikey)

Quote from Shotglass :the idea was to easily obtain a maximum value which we could then use to express our excitement about the video in percentage of the eva value

Indeed. In that case this patch so far is a .8 ELEU

Quote from Hallen :
I wonder if Scawen added a gauge or indicator in the tire temp view for the clutch?

I wondered the exact same thing, I hope so. Although the more advanced things get, I'd like to see the server side option to disable the indepth viewing, and dumb it down to whatever's available in real life for endu races and whatnot. But, more cool data to show of LFS is always better under normal circumstances to me.

Quote from JTbo :JTBo's story of clutch burning tantrum

ROFL at that post

Quote from evilpimp :lol, well people are interusted in this patch more then the others apperently. When is it gunna be realeased again? Before or after chrismas?

He said before Christmas, which means it's basically just being tested otherwise he wouldn't say that probably.
So happy a new open wheeled car Cant wait to see it.
Quote from Forbin :Only if they use throttle cut, too, otherwise they have to lift a little.

How could it not?

If throttle cut option is not removed, then it'd be extremely lame. *waiting for keyboarders to react this* You'd think when the gearbox and clutch has been finally worked, it would be done properly at once... so built in throttle cut in the sequential gearbox for race cars that might most likely have it. Then it would be a car feature instead of driving aid.

I was "this close" not even checking general discussion tonight All improvements sounds great but I'm underwhelmed about one thing... no mention about tyres. Just little disappointing if it means looong wait until another incompatible patch (though sounds like the cockpits are coming later, in another incompatioble patch or huh?).

ps. If that "ideal race line" is not some AI debug mode thing... then I wonder why it's added. I thought LFS was supposed get rid of this "arcade stuff" instead of getting more of it.
Quote from deggis :All improvements sounds great but I'm underwhelmed about one thing... no mention about tyres. Just little disappointing if it means looong wait until another incompatible patch

has there ever been a single physics incompatible patch in the entire history of lfs that didnt include at least some minor changes in the tyre model ?
Everybody sing...................

"It's the end of flat shifting as we know it, It's the end of flat shifting as we know, and I feel fine!!!"
Great! Im really, I mean really looking forward to this new patch. Thx devs, Im quite suprised. Thx again!
Soon the nolifing begins and it is a good chance to make crazy online user record. And [SR] Ai only ! server becomes serious. Servers could add option to add AI-s.
Quote from Shotglass :has there ever been a single physics incompatible patch in the entire history of lfs that didnt include at least some minor changes in the tyre model ?

Don't know about S1 era. S2 have had only one physics patch (and this is the second), so then again useless to make assumptions based on release history.. I'd like to be optimistic though. Somehow the video left a feeling that there's something more, that at least some things, might be small or big, were not yet mentioned but you'd think tyres would be a such a major thing that it would be hyped.

Quote from danowat :Everybody sing...................

"It's the end of flat shifting as we know it, It's the end of flat shifting as we know, and I feel fine!!!"

This thread is closed

Soon available : Formula BMW FB02
(1389 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG