The online racing simulator
Where LFS is going?
(241 posts, closed, started )
Quote from 5tag :What I don't understand is their list of priorities in terms of content. Why do Blackwood and South City get multiple updates, even S2 tracks, while Fern Bay still looks the same after 15 years? Fifteen!

Imagine a Demo player (spoiled by the beautiful Blackwood) buying S1 and loading up Fern Bay...

Some consistency is needed IMO. After new graphics and tyre physics are done, Scawen should think about releasing a tool so users can create tracks and car models. And I don't mean mods. Just in terms of content, development should be outsourced to the community (via competitions, sort of like inviting tenders), because as is evident devs have enough to do already. Then Eric can focus on updating older content and act as quality control for the community-made content, while Scawen could develop the game further at its core.

All tracks will get an new update
#27 - 5tag
Quote from RC-Maus :All tracks will get an new update

Eventually, yes. So why not start with the oldest?

Unless you mean the next patch will update all environments.
Quote from 5tag :After new graphics and tyre physics are done, Scawen should think about releasing a tool so users can create tracks and car models.

That's the plan - when LFS is considered done enough to call version 1, Eric's current track modelling doohickey will get a revamp to get it up to release standards and then we all get to play with it Smile
Quote from 5tag :Eventually, yes. So why not start with the oldest?

Unless you mean the next patch will update all environments.

Yep they working hard on new update, new lightning system forces them to update all tracks.
As Scawen has already stated (multiple times): All tracks need to be updated for the next release. That tracks like Blackwood have been updated multiple times in the past couple of years while others have not, has nothing to do with this.

I also think that it is quite obivious that, while you are working on a track to fix some issues, you might want to look at / fix / update some other stuff as well.
#31 - 5tag
Oh, thanks guys! I didn't realise all the track upgrades would be released at the same time. Looks like it's gonna be quite a while until then. :[
Seems like 4 months is minimum at this moment (I would guess it's more like 6 is "minimum", if the update is already in decent shape, like 4m to finish the changes already done on the other tracks (if there was nothing done yet, then is 1 month enough to revamp something like SC and FB? IMHO not, so I hope they are doing these reports sort of from "buffer" and then 2m to package it wholly, test, fix last minor issues, etc). If those tracks will need more time, and there will be reasonable chance to finish tire physics, etc... then including the unforeseen issues in test patch period and Scawen's perfectionism I guess it's more like 12m ahead... so Christmas may be possible, if they will commit to it and keep the change list sort of fixed during that year period (and there will be no more interruption, like that DDoS thing which set this off by 3-4 months I think?).

Disclaimer: these are completely made-up numbers by my own guess, I don't have any extra info, only going by info in forums and my own experience from game dev era...

5tag: to release them per-track would require the LFS.exe to contain both old and new 3D engine at the same time.. probably not worth the fuss (I believe there would be lot of fuss and mess from programming side, also editor tools would have to stay in two-variant for longer which further PITA), especially as LFS players should be now well accustomed to the pace of LFS development and how the patches trickle to them. So it makes lot of sense to rather switch to new 3D engine in one go, even if that takes quite some time.
depends on how far the 5 remaining environments are from Eric’s wishes ☺
Quote from Flotch :depends on how far the 5 remaining environments are from Eric’s wishes ☺

Maybe some allready finished and they suprice us all Omg omg omg
November’s progress report will be epic as the other 3 ; December’s one will certainly be totally mad Big grin
I suspect Scawen to progress well on tire physics discretly : everyone is focused on Eric’s brilliant job and maybe the graphical part is doing exactly what they want it to do currently, leaving Eric able to do everything perfect without Scawen implementing new things Smile
speculations...Ya right
in short, wait and see
Quote from Flotch :November’s progress report will be epic as the other 3 ; December’s one will certainly be totally mad Big grin
I suspect Scawen to progress well on tire physics discretly : everyone is focused on Eric’s brilliant job and maybe the graphical part is doing exactly what they want it to do currently, leaving Eric able to do everything perfect without Scawen implementing new things Smile
speculations...Ya right
in short, wait and see

Petals LFS we can expect devs wanting to have some christmas break, so I personally expect only one more progress report this year. Nevermind, the final result will be impressive Heart
The update should go live within 8 months:
Quote from THE WIZARD DK Sat 22 Sep 2018 :You are saying it takes 8 month til we actually get the graphics update?

Quote from Scawen :I really hope not!

So maybe around February / March. Big grin
Other than Rockingham which I feel has been ready for release for years the only update I have seen is money making.

The latest security update was essential as nobody would buy the game if servers could not run due to DDOS.

I love the game but I feel as if its hit the end.
It is not the end - it is the beginning!
Agree.
I would say S3 is lacking of 2 track environments and 8-10 cars to match previous relases contents. Without the graphical updates, it would have looked quite old compared to current sims ... and do not forget that LFS is also famous for its VR implementation, outdated graphics is not so pleasant when in VR I suppose. I do not think it is reaching the end for the moment : having the new lighting system that seems to smell night racing in the future, or how water on the track will be displayed at Rockingham in the coming patch, this gives the feeling that the best is to come.
Do not forget the damned tire physics update (which shall not embed wet physics ... for the moment) which is probably to come for real around this massive update Smile ! And this is the reason why the team was no more delivering new cars !
Keep faith ! The lights are green and engines warmed !
This is a complete speculation but I really don't think that Eric has forgotten cars. I think he's just not talking about them and as Flotch mentioned he's just waiting for the new tyre physics (knowing that Eric is developing only on the new tyre physics, there's a quote from him). I believe he's actually been developing new ones from time to time but there was no need to talk about them because he doesn't know when exactly they'll be released.

I feel the need to repeat myself that this is purely a speculation Big grin
Not all speculation

Quote from Scawen :Obviously the graphics needs to be done then that would make it releasable, even with the current physics and it's possible this may happen. But I really hope I can sort out the new physics so we can move on.

Since there is graphical update atm it reminded me how hard would be to add like scraping, sparkle, scratches on the car getting dirtier every lap or excessive dirt if you end up in gravel? @Scawen Is it something we could look forward to in the future?
Quote from Tomislav531 :Since there is graphical update atm it reminded me how hard would be to add like scraping, sparkle, scratches on the car getting dirtier every lap or excessive dirt if you end up in gravel? @Scawen Is it something we could look forward to in the future?

If want dirt go play need for speed... This is simulater not a arcade game...
Quote from Jatimc :If want dirt go play need for speed... This is simulater not a arcade game...

But dirt does accumulate on cars, making them less shiny the more they're driven.
I love a good speculation thread.

Early-Mid 2019: graphics update, tyre physics, a couple new cars + one track

April 1st 2019: Demo tracks are changed to Blackwood reverse configurations

Late 2019: car model updates, multi-thread support for 90hz/100hz fix

2020: Dynamic track conditions, weather, lighting

This is all assuming the player base/sales grow after the first update Thumbs up
My prediction

Last year of 2018: Graphicks improvement at aston.

Year 2019: Some speculation of new car update and som graphicks, later that year need to protect master server because of hacking and ddos. so no car this year Smile

july 2019: ddos protect ready, but wait maybe lfs need new forum. So new forum update

autumn 2019: forum is ready. Dev open new thread of updates, this time no cars. Instead they deside to add new multiplayer sistem Nod And just in case better hack support. No cars and no tracks.

last year of 2019. major ddos attack of arab. better make new master server and maybe new sky...
New thread opens with speculation of scriocco, how its not ready and maybe its ready when its ready.

2020 etc
2021 etc
2050 etc
@Jati Surely your retarded and demoralizing posts are not going to help and poor devs eventually reading them when they try to focus on the updates, use your frustration on something else pls if you are a sad boy...
@Jati No one can really protect against good ddos (all we can do is make best out off it)

Further I think u don't find the joy in other games, compared to what lfs offered since 2005 Omg omg omg Na-na

So thats why I think u still sticking arround complaining Taped Shut
Quote from Tomislav531 :Since there is graphical update atm it reminded me how hard would be to add like scraping, sparkle, scratches on the car getting dirtier every lap or excessive dirt if you end up in gravel? @Scawen Is it something we could look forward to in the future?

From memory but I am not sure, Scawen or Victor was talking about changing the skin format and having a kind of reserved bit/byte per pixel to allow a dirt effect to be implemented
This thread is closed

Where LFS is going?
(241 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG