The online racing simulator
Hi Scawen, I unlocked s2 again since I downloaded lfs onto my laptop and now I get a 'no track' error when I try to select s1 or s2 tracks and when I try to connect to s1/s2 servers, also I get this error when I try to select a non demo car:
Attached images
error.png
Quote from eddy678 :Hi Scawen, I unlocked s2 again since I downloaded lfs onto my laptop and now I get a 'no track' error when I try to select s1 or s2 tracks and when I try to connect to s1/s2 servers, also I get this error when I try to select a non demo car:

Thanks, please can you try again and let me know if it works now?

I don't really understand why that happened, but I got the same and now I've re-uploaded the EXE to the master server so it should work again. Only it seemed to be the same file so not really my usual mistake this time... maybe something went wrong the first time I uploaded it.

Sorry about that anyway.
Look at Redmaytals name. The name gets bended from the outside car camera.
http://snag.gy/CAkbR.jpg

But not from the inside or other camera:
http://snag.gy/XzAws.jpg

Another picture where you can check that the nickname gets "twists" from the X axis
http://snag.gy/PIuf2.jpg

And also, from the cockpit camera the nickname gets completely horizontal

K, someone told me this bug is known
https://www.lfs.net/forum/post/1867337#post1867337

Edit: well, actually not.
It should me attached to the X axis like this (danielin name):
http://snag.gy/d19vG.jpg
And Redmaytals nickname isnt
It's not DK3, as no such device is currently in the pipeline.

CV1 prototype would be more accurate.
please do not produce shitload of bugs out of nowhere just because you dont know how to patch or do it wrongly and then mess with scawen's mind when there is actually nothing wrong. its annoying.

btw to have an even better oculus rift experience, we need better cockpits especially for closed wheel cars.
Quote from S.E.T.H :we need better cockpits especially for closed wheel cars.

Why? Everyone cheats using force mode anyway...
Quote from Eclipsed :
Quote from S.E.T.H :we need better cockpits especially for closed wheel cars.

Why? Everyone cheats using force mode anyway...

I hate force mode, and I think that every car should at least have the quality of XR/XF for interiors and XR rims.
Thanks, that one at Aston is already reported and now fixed in my version.
Is it normal that those textures of seats and spectators have aliased edges? They seem to be at Blackwood, Kyoto Ring, Fern Bay and Aston.

Tested with the F9_TEX patch.
Attached images
lfs_00000966.jpg
lfs_00000968.jpg
Quote from Flame CZE :Is it normal that those textures of seats and spectators have aliased edges? They seem to be at Blackwood, Kyoto Ring, Fern Bay and Aston.

Tested with the F9_TEX patch.

Yes, they have not changed since the older versions. We can't simply change them from alpha test to alpha as there are serious sorting problems with seats and people if we do that. I need to write something that gives us control over the drawing order of triangles within an object, then we'll be able to do better grandstands in later releases of tracks.

Quote from THE WIZARD DK :@scawen. i just noticed im still having the ATEST old files in my folder. these are just to be deleted right?

Yes. When you first run LFS, if it can't find the _ALP version of an ALPHA / ATEST / ALP24 texture, it creates a new copy of one of those, named _ALP. This auto-copying allows LFS to continue to use custom textures and doesn't require the already correctly named textures I supplied in the patch. But it doesn't delete the old version of the textures. This is to allow the possibility of rolling back to an old version of LFS.

When you are sure you will not roll back, you can delete any files ending ALPHA.dds / ATEST.dds / ALP24.dds

Thanks for your observations of the textures at Fern Bay. But Eric doesn't want to get involved with Fern Bay now as he is still working on Westhill. He just wants to do a big overhaul of Fern Bay at some time.
I tested F9 for a couple of hours. No issue. Looks much better IMO. It is more natural. The main problem is that the average Joe won't notice the difference! Huge graphical improvement to me.
Quote from Scawen :...
Thanks for your observations of the textures at Fern Bay. But Eric doesn't want to get involved with Fern Bay now as he is still working on Westhill. He just wants to do a big overhaul of Fern Bay at some time.

Seeing the screenshots of the upcoming Westhill versus the current one ... I cannot imagine how awsome Fern Bay could become !!!
Simply using the hires texture pack we can find on the forum is simply lovely result on many ways, but an overhaul update is clearly what need this wonderful track in the future !
Quote from Scawen :I need to write something that gives us control over the drawing order of triangles within an object, then we'll be able to do better grandstands in later releases of tracks.

For static meshes the BSP trees would work like charm, but I'm not sure how you would fit them into the dynamic sort of the other alpha polys... Maybe using for the whole mesh a placeholder polygon in sort would be enough, or having whole map as single BSP tree, and sort the other dynamic alphas inside it by bsp rules (especially if you have groups of polys, so you can use some "middle" position for whole group of alphas.

Anyway, if you didn't do anything with BSP before, and your engine doesn't support them, it may take quite some days to develop this stuff and get familiar with it, but for static geometry visibility these are best. Pity most of the modern engines had to stop using them to allow more dynamic scenes, so instead of O(N) visibility sort we are back to days of radix-sorts and all sort of portal/occlusion magic to make that O(N*logN or worse) moving reasonably well. At least the modern HW is so insanely powerful, so today probably even N*N would do...
Quote from Scawen :Test Patch 0.6F10

Contains a new LFSORDLL.dll which uses the latest Oculus SDK 0.4.2
To use that you must update your Oculus runtime to 0.4.2
https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/86202

For anyone who already downloaded a patch with textures, you don't need the entire TEX version again. You can use the smaller test patch and just download these two updated textures and save them in your data\dds folder:
http://www.lfs.net/file_lfs.php?name=AST_trees_dds.zip

i downloaded only the textures and put in the dds folder, still got that problem with the texture
No, these textures are for some individual trees which had some small lines in the air above them. The very visible tree line issue is fixed by the LFS.exe, not a texture.

I think you misunderstood me. Everyone should upgrade from F9 to F10. It's just that if they already got the TEX one before, they don't need it again, they can just get the NOTEX one and add these two textures.
http://www.lfs.net/file_lfs.php?name=AST_trees_dds.zip
my bad, now is fixed
Small feature request for VR DK2 mode: bring live chat nearer the center of view and slightly enlarge it.

Right now it's either: super small hud to bring it into view while racing, barely readable. Or: I crane my neck to look that far away from the road and crash or veer just to read a text. (juust like real life, i suppose, if you were texting. but I never had issue on a monitor. just glance quick.)
Quote from OmegaX :Small feature request for VR DK2 mode: bring live chat nearer the center of view and slightly enlarge it.

Right now it's either: super small hud to bring it into view while racing, barely readable. Or: I crane my neck to look that far away from the road and crash or veer just to read a text. (juust like real life, i suppose, if you were texting. but I never had issue on a monitor. just glance quick.)

You can at least try making it bigger by changing the Message text size in Display options, that should help a bit
Is the new .DLL using display overdrive for reduced black smearing or any other changes with it? Atleast it seemed a bit better.

The new 3D toggle menu is much more clear now. Though I think the "A Rift has been identified on another device"-line might still be confusing for some people. Perhaps "A Rift has been found on your system" would be even more clearer?

Automatically restarting LFS after switching to the Rift would also be a nice little user friendliness gesture, or offering a checkbox for that in the 3D toggle menu.

Also it would be really nice to have that persistent "Disable GUI" setting for maximum VR immersion. Having to peek through the nose gap on the Rift to find my shift+f keys every time I hop in to LFS is no fun!
Nice update, most of the bugs (if not all, I need to check that in détails) are fixed, nice job Scawen !

I corrected somes mistakes in the french translation on this thread, can you look at all thoses errors and update the language for the next update ?

Thanks !
Quote from Matrixi :Is the new .DLL using display overdrive for reduced black smearing or any other changes with it? Atleast it seemed a bit better.

I have not implemented overdrive, which seems for Direct mode only. You can search for "overdrive" on this page:
https://developer.oculusvr.com/?action=hist&ver=21

Quote from Matrixi :Also it would be really nice to have that persistent "Disable GUI" setting for maximum VR immersion. Having to peek through the nose gap on the Rift to find my shift+f keys every time I hop in to LFS is no fun!

At least you could assign /shift F to a wheel button?

I'm at the point now where I don't want to add more features for version G. I can only fix any serious issues. There is plenty more to be done for the Rift but in a later version. Now the aim is to get a DK2 version online so people don't need to install a test patch. Then I can carry on with some things that are needed for the Westhill update.

Quote from nacim :I corrected somes mistakes in the french translation on this thread, can you look at all thoses errors and update the language for the next update ?

I really don't want to start editing the French translations myself. Apart from the errors you mentioned, there are 24 missing lines in this important language. There are 3 French translators marked as active - Oliv76000, sicotange and Tungsten - maybe you could send them a PM?
Quote from Scawen :
At least you could assign /shift F to a wheel button?

I'm at the point now where I don't want to add more features for version G. I can only fix any serious issues. There is plenty more to be done for the Rift but in a later version. Now the aim is to get a DK2 version online so people don't need to install a test patch. Then I can carry on with some things that are needed for the Westhill update.

I have done that on my simrig/steering wheel as a quick fix, but a toggle in the settings would be a more sophisticated solution for new users. It's also a bit inconvenient when doing testing on my desktop setup with a PS4 gamepad that has all of its few buttons assigned.

It's not a showstopping issue, but something to perhaps implement later on when getting back on the VR support, along with direct mode once the SDK matures for that. I totally understand that getting the official DK2 patch out is a priority at the moment, I'm sure you didn't expect it to take this long to begin with.

I'm surprised to see that overdrive requires direct mode! Minecrift seemed to have overdrive in its settings menu, but it also requires using the Rift as a primary display for the mod to even work, so maybe that explains it.
This thread is closed

TEST PATCH 0.6F12 (Rift DK2)
(832 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG