The online racing simulator
BeamNG - Soft body physics
(298 posts, started )
Well, at least it does tyre/wheel damage very nicely.

I would love a ps3 port, I just never have my gaming PC on me when I'm doing school stuff at my friends apartment on campus. I got a crappy think pad that can't even run chrome without lagging lol
Quote from Blade3562 :I would love a ps3 port, I just never have my gaming PC on me when I'm doing school stuff at my friends apartment on campus. I got a crappy think pad that can't even run chrome without lagging lol

Porting X86 games to PS3 is tricky at best, and I'm not sure how well its ancient computing power can do in this kind of simulation.

Any chance you can get a second hand gaming notebook or something?
Quote from farcar :
You'd be wrong of course, because in the end they're just different games with different priorities. They're all still in development too.

They have expressly stated that they will not leave the polygon wheels, which means the cars in the game will never behave anywhere near realistic. Hence my statement is still true.
It is fun going over rocky terrain though, where the polygon tires are masked by the terrain.
Quote from Blade3562 :I would love a ps3 port, I just never have my gaming PC on me when I'm doing school stuff at my friends apartment on campus. I got a crappy think pad that can't even run chrome without lagging lol

And you think some crappy old hardware from 20 years ago will run such a heavy game like this?
-
(Wenom) DELETED by Wenom
Devs are still arrogant A-holes, no amount of steam is gonna change that. They actually seem to believe their car handling physics is realistic. I tried to tell them on several occations that cars don't have polygonal wheels, but they went on about how their physics engine is physically accurate and blah blah. And when I tried to tell them that while that might be true, real cars still have round wheels and don't bounce around, they gave me a lecture on physics which, while true,were completely irrelevant for the issue, non-round wheels..... So... cool crashing-sim, and I enjoy rock-climbing, but that's pretty much all it's good for.
Quote from Wenom :bump

Got an email which has activation code for Steam so check your mailboxes!

How you get the code?
Quote from atledreier :Devs are still arrogant A-holes, no amount of steam is gonna change that. They actually seem to believe their car handling physics is realistic. I tried to tell them on several occations that cars don't have polygonal wheels, but they went on about how their physics engine is physically accurate and blah blah. And when I tried to tell them that while that might be true, real cars still have round wheels and don't bounce around, they gave me a lecture on physics which, while true,were completely irrelevant for the issue, non-round wheels..... So... cool crashing-sim, and I enjoy rock-climbing, but that's pretty much all it's good for.

Interestingly, Blackwood is being recreated in BeamNG (well, the AC conversion) and apparently with Scavier's blessings. So, I guess we'll have a chance to benchmark the physics.
http://www.beamng.com/threads/ ... -Racetrack-LFS-Conversion

While I don't necessarily disagree with you re the tyre physics, I haven't detected this level of arrogance with the devs. The guy who creates the vehicles (Gabester?) can be outspoken at times, but that's not always a bad thing. The other guys seem pretty friendly and responsive to the community. And don't forget BeamNG is relatively early in it's development...

Overall I'm a big fan of their work.
Quote from farcar :Interestingly, Blackwood is being recreated in BeamNG (well, the AC conversion) and apparently with Scavier's blessings. So, I guess we'll have a chance to benchmark the physics.
http://www.beamng.com/threads/ ... -Racetrack-LFS-Conversion

While I don't necessarily disagree with you re the tyre physics, I haven't detected this level of arrogance with the devs. The guy who creates the vehicles (Gabester?) can be outspoken at times, but that's not always a bad thing. The other guys seem pretty friendly and responsive to the community. And don't forget BeamNG is relatively early in it's development...

Overall I'm a big fan of their work.

Gabester is absolutely arrogant. I've stopped bothering to look at the game partly because of that fact. The guy is just a jerk-off.

The point about the physics is true, too - the cars drive like they have polygonal wheels (among other glaring issues).

One thing that would help bring me back in, aside from fixing the abysmal physics, is a menu for controller setup. Has that been done yet?
Quote from MAGGOT :One thing that would help bring me back in, aside from fixing the abysmal physics, is a menu for controller setup. Has that been done yet?

Not yet, but they have made great steps with the UI. The UI is a little like AC where you can install new UI modules and move them around the screen. I guess an option for the controllers wouldn't be a big step from here.

It's funny actually, because with regular driving I don't really feel that the wheels are polygonal. Sure, I only use the Xbox controller, but it's not that bad. Sometimes the cars tend to wobble around corners for no reason though.
They don't just drive "like" they have polygonal wheels, they DO HAVE polygonal wheels, even the physics mesh is used for calculations. There is no way that can work. It's hidden for the most part when going off road (which feels really good), but for any hard surface it just doesn't even begin to act like a car.
Quote from Bose321 :Not yet, but they have made great steps with the UI. The UI is a little like AC where you can install new UI modules and move them around the screen. I guess an option for the controllers wouldn't be a big step from here.

It's funny actually, because with regular driving I don't really feel that the wheels are polygonal. Sure, I only use the Xbox controller, but it's not that bad. Sometimes the cars tend to wobble around corners for no reason though.

The cars just wobble all over the place and skip around, they are awful.. best thing to do is to just crash into a wall
I've never found the physics to be accurate, not with RoR either, in terms of car handling. It's never going to be an LFS rival.

Sadly they don't really see that, which is partly understandable because when you get that far into a project and pour so much into it you tend to end up only seeing your project!

That said the crash damage simulation (which is really what we're there for) is just as good as RoR, but the graphics have been picked up significantly.

I just think of it as RoR 2.0, which is where it works. Kinda. Because you can't control whole cranes with 100932 different actuators etc.
Yeah, the game is pretty boring compared to RoR. Sure, it has nicer graphics, but there's not much to do. Some of the recent RoR mods are very high quality and are pretty much like cars in BeamNG now.

The big difference is that RoR has everything as in trucks, boats, planes, helicopters, loads to put on truck, and what not. There are uncountable amounts of different things you can do with RoR right now. The whole system of BeamNG just feels wrong. I don't think BeamNG will ever be the true sandbox game that RoR is. Just alone the amount of F-keys that were so simple to use in RoR to move things on trucks for example. BeamNG still doesn't even have a simple truck, let alone a trailer... Oh, and let's not forget the fact that all cars have the same sound.

Typing this actually makes me want to go back to RoR and lift random things with tiny trucks that want to flip over or something...
Quote from Bose321 :Best thing said in this thread.

These are the exact views that myself and many other long-time RoR players hold. BeamNG is just a crash simulator for destructive 12-year-olds at this point, there's nothing to do, no goals. With RoR there's so much content that you can give yourself goals, and if you're brave enough to venture into the broken MP system, great fun can be had with friends whether it be trail riding, rock crawling, hauling heavy loads, or even flying. Even doing completely random things can produce a good time with RoR MP.

And there's so much more on the side of modding. For the last 3 years I've spent slightly more time creating things for RoR than actually playing it, because that's a lot of the fun also, it's even given me a good idea of what I want to do as a career, no other game/sim has done that.

On a side note, the development of BeamNG has been at a snail's pace since the release of the alpha, yes RoR has been virtually left in the balance for development, but we at least have a platform that's workable, and can be improved by the community, whether it be with innovative new content, or a new person interested in the coding side.

The forums are also a topic worth discussing IMO. RoR has its fair-share of "faggots" as we have called them for years now, but the BeamNG forum is like talking to a group of preschoolers. At this rate I think the RoR forum will outlast BeamNG if the situation continues as it is right now.

In the end BeamNG just can't live up to RoR and everything it has to offer, at least not yet.
Maybe it never will, only time will tell.
Nothing, NOTHING crashes quite like the RoR Honda Accord.

I think a lot of those features will end up eventually being implemented in BeamNG, but it's a while away yet.
-
(Wenom) DELETED by Wenom
Quote from atledreier :Devs are still arrogant A-holes, no amount of steam is gonna change that. They actually seem to believe their car handling physics is realistic. I tried to tell them on several occations that cars don't have polygonal wheels, but they went on about how their physics engine is physically accurate and blah blah. And when I tried to tell them that while that might be true, real cars still have round wheels and don't bounce around, they gave me a lecture on physics which, while true,were completely irrelevant for the issue, non-round wheels..... So... cool crashing-sim, and I enjoy rock-climbing, but that's pretty much all it's good for.

Well, a modder managed to put The Stig in a truck.
I'm still having fun...
Attached images
screenshot_00006.png
They now also have something called pressure wheels, but I'm still not sure what that exactly means compared to what they used before...
-
(Wenom) DELETED by Wenom

BeamNG - Soft body physics
(298 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG