The online racing simulator
BeamNG - Soft body physics
(298 posts, started )
You really wouldn't want to turn the 3D off, as it's pretty much the whole point of the Rift and it's the only scenario so far where "3D" has been done right - rather than a useless gimmick like 3D movies.

Having a scene rendered from a different viewpoint for each eye is the only way I can see 3D having any meaningful purpose, and that's how the Rift does it.
My only reason for turning it off would be if it made me feel nauseous, which I wouldn't expect it to, I've never suffered from motion sickness, but I can't really be certain till I've tried it I suppose. That said, for me rift is as much about the v.r perspective and movement as it is the 3d display.

For people who have the dev kit, how does it affect your sense of yaw in a racing sim?
I've seen people talk about turning off the stereoscopic image, but it may be game dependent. It's not completely pointless as you still get immersed in the scene and head tracking will still work. It probably won't help the GPU out though, as it will still need to render the two views.
You can usually adjust the separation distance of the two eyepoints, setting them to zero would essentially turn the 3D effect off.

With regards to power requirements, my 5-year old system already runs 3x1680x1050 ok, I would imagine it'll run the necessary resolutions for the rift.
From what I've heard and read, the nausea actually mostly comes from the lag of turning your head and the delay of the rendered image changing, not the 3D effect in itself.

That's why the devs made this: https://www.oculusvr.com/pre-order/latency-tester/
Quote from Matrixi :From what I've heard and read, the nausea actually mostly comes from the lag of turning your head and the delay of the rendered image changing, not the 3D effect in itself.

That's why the devs made this: https://www.oculusvr.com/pre-order/latency-tester/

Also I've seen people saying that the main problem was moving your body and the camera don't moving. You get so inmersed with the rotation and 3D that your brain gets quite confused when you move on your chair and the game stays on the same position.
Again, the retail version should solve that as it has the full 6DOF.
Just spent the best part of a couple of hours trying to get the Rift to work, only to run across this post, basically saying that rift support has once again been disabled. This is beyond a joke, the only reason why I paid for this Alpha access really and it's completely disabled because of a tiny problem? The game is good but it's already boring after about half an hour.
you do realise that this alpha access is just to show what the engine is capable of, right?

the final game will not be just you driving alone on random mod tracks, it'll have AI, online, and much more
Quote from Specht77 :you do realise that this alpha access is just to show what the engine is capable of, right?

the final game will not be just you driving alone on random mod tracks, it'll have AI, online, and much more

No shit. Actually, the tech demo is to show off the engine, the Alpha is to do bug tests and reports and other things of that nature, not completely disable Rift support because 1 user had a slight problem.
I wonder if he talks like that during sex.
Wow that guy is an annoying ****.
@Cheerio

If you are curious enough, I'm sure would could get in contact with him and arrange what ever it is you enjoy.
Old timer friend from here RockyZ got me on facebook and told me about this game.
Watched the video, tried the demo on my laptop for 5 minutes at like 15fps, and then bought and downloaded the game to my desktop and have played it a few times with an xbox controller.

Minus the huge amount of bugs, it is a lot of fun and worth the money to have some fun out of it, I am very much looking forward to how this game expands.
Quote from XCNuse :I am very much looking forward to how this game expands.

Hopefuly not the same way as LFS does.
At least there's moddability so it'll keep interesting a little longer. Having said that, I still enjoy LFS.... :-)
Quote from Amynue :Hopefuly not the same way as LFS does.

Indie games are doing really good these days for whatever reason, I have a feeling this one will do really good once it hits the right group of people that buy licenses for it.

A current huge success story would be Kerbal Space Program right now; thanks to its modability (it is important in most games) and following interest it's doing fantastic.
I guess they gave up on tyres then.
Does it even have ffb yet? Or are they doing that after the submarines? :-)
Quote from sinbad :I guess they gave up on tyres then.
Does it even have ffb yet? Or are they doing that after the submarines? :-)

this videos have nothing to do with the devs work, those are just community mods, the devs are still (slowly as LFS) working on tyres etc

and yes, it still doesn't have FFB
Quote from sinbad :I guess they gave up on tyres then.

No, there are still tyres. :thumb3d: It's still an evolving soft body physics sandbox too.
Not for everyone clearly...
You'd think that people trying to make a driving game/engine would care about getting something as fundamental as tires at least resembling real life. But they have clearly stated that they are not. That's when I gave up. It is a nice crash-simulator, that's it.
Quote from atledreier :You'd think that people trying to make a driving game/engine would care about getting something as fundamental as tires at least resembling real life. But they have clearly stated that they are not.

You could flip this around and say the same thing about LFS or AC.
"You'd think that people trying to make a racing game would care about getting something as fundamental as damage at least resembling real life."

You'd be wrong of course, because in the end they're just different games with different priorities. They're all still in development too.

I think the tyre model in Beam shows some promise anyway. It needs work for sure, but it's far from completely 'un-resembling' real life. And the game is young.

BeamNG - Soft body physics
(298 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG