The online racing simulator
BeamNG - Soft body physics
(298 posts, started )
Funny, I was reading on their forums yesterday, and they said they were far from good...
Yeah, actually what they said was that theirs was by far the best, but still not good. All the others sims were useless and faked and such, that was the gist of the thread I read...
Don't read too much into it. All sims claim to have the best of everything but we know its just business. I'm sure its more users making crazy claims rather than the developers themselves.
one thing is certain, those octagon tyres are a bad joke, I can't use the cockpit view since it vibrates so much...

it's a fun game to do some stunts, but driving, and rallying with those tyres that don't reacy anything like a real rubber tyre... nah
Rock climbing is great fun, and about the only thing the tires are good for at the moment. I've started a long thread, go have a read, the devs are constantly telling us they don't understand the issue at all while shoing how little they actually know themselves, it's quite funny.
They're ignorant to be honest. I have mostly read some posts from Gabester, but his attitude towards other people tells enough. Thomas (tdev) however is a reasonable person, and I think you should have a word with him if you want to talk seriously about this matter.
I'm not entirely clear on how the tyres work, but I understand that there are x number of flat sections, so the tyre is not round (which would explain the choppiness).

I've posted a couple of times about the odd instability, and about how the actual driving, particularly on roads is not very good or worth bothering with for long, at the moment, even if it's a bit of fun for a while. Usually met with the usual tunnel-vision response from "Defenders Of The Devs" (defenders).

Reading your thread in the Beam forum, atledrier, I'm still not entirely sure how the tyre works. Someone says 12 sided "wheels" act like 24 sided "wheels" because one side is rotated compared to the other. What does that mean? That half the left side is out of line with the right? Do the tyres end up running on the points of the shape rather than the flat face, as they would in real-life?

It all seems irrecoverably messed up and all this talk of wheels being too heavy if they're rounder and so on just seems to suggest that it's impossible to do anything serious with the tyres in this engine.

Still, good crashes and junk.
Quote from sinbad : Someone says 12 sided "wheels" act like 24 sided "wheels" because one side is rotated compared to the other. What does that mean? That half the left side is out of line with the right?

It measn basically, as shown in the attached picture, that the tyre surface is composed of "zig-zagging" triangles as opposed to rectangular ones (which would be composed of two triangles actually...)
Attached images
hubwheels (1).jpg
Quote from ColeusRattus :It measn basically, as shown in the attached picture, that the tyre surface is composed of "zig-zagging" triangles as opposed to rectangular ones (which would be composed of two triangles actually...)

Aha, I wasn't far away then. So is that shape and pattern going to be the same no matter the size of the wheel? i.e would the problem would be much more obvious on a monster truck than it is on a go-kart?
Quote from sinbad :Aha, I wasn't far away then. So is that shape and pattern going to be the same no matter the size of the wheel? i.e would the problem would be much more obvious on a monster truck than it is on a go-kart?

It would be worse on a Go Kart with harder tyres and no suspension.
It would be visually more obvious on a monster truck (as the tyres take up more of the screen) but as Keling says, you'd feel the effects more on the go-kart.
I guess what I mean is, does this matter less as wheel rotation speed increases, or more? At ten mph the truck wheel would be rotating very slowly compared with the kart wheel. The kart wheel also has a much smaller difference, in distance from wheel center, between the centre of a "flat section", and the point where two flat sections meet. But since the whole wheel is scaled down I don't know if that makes any difference, I'm just trying to figure out why it even works at all.
I was just thinking, the title should be changed to something else since they're not using CryEngine anymore but Torque3d I believe.
The wheels actually expand with the tire rubber, I hope they'll address it at some point.
I imagine it's due to there being no (or minimal) internal structure to the tyre - they're just modelled as a springy rubber 'bag' around the wheel. So when the wheel spins, the centrifugal force* makes the tyre expand around the wheel.

* yes, I know it's actually centripetal forces, 'centrifugal force' is perfectly acceptable term to use in a rotating frame of reference.
Quote from PMD9409 :. All sims claim to have the best of everything but we know its just business.

iRacing are the best at this. Capitalist Brainwashing it's called where I'm from.
Oh come on for ****s sake. Can't the ones that enjoying a game enjoy it without having smartasses that tells everything sucks? The ones that plays does it because they want to, not what the devs promis or not on a forum. Lfs is a great example of this.
So please, let me and others enjoy the game because we CHOOSE to.
I relation to drive, there is issues with it that I don't like, such as the wobblyness of the soft-body but I still enjoy smashing shit up, just like anyone.
Allright, but it sounded more like you were trying to take a piss on everyone that enjoyed the game, thats why I whent all-cry-mode ;/
I agree, the driving is at best questionable (resonable off-road tho), but I find the technology extremely interesting, because I think it can help develope better damaging modells for future games, compared to the crap we got in current games these days.
The RoR guys have been doing this for many years, in a FLOSS way. I'm not seeing a large number of devs following them.
The thread turned into a pissing contest, as usual. There is another thread that seems promising, where we back stuff up with real life videos and stuff.

I agree the driving off road is enjoyable and believeable enough to be fun. Driving on a hard surface just expose so many underlying issues that it detracts from the fun.

I am amazed how little the devs seem to understand about tires and their inner workings, though.
They literally said that they didn't undestand where the low speed wobble came from... "uhm, you 12-segment tires, perhaps?"

BeamNG - Soft body physics
(298 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG