The online racing simulator
>which CPU

Intel Core-2 Quad Q6600.

Pretty sure this CPU is also affected by the "AMD" issue (which is in fact caused by a dependency on the SSE 4.1 extension also not present in older intel chips such as the Q6600).

I *was* getting around the "AMD" issue in other software by unplugging the position tracking camera. The update to the 0.4.1 Oculus runtime as fixed the "AMD" issue for me, so position tracking works fine.

>and maybe even do a full re-install of LFS with UAC off.

done. no luck

>EDIT : "FILE LOCKED WITH ONLY READERS" sounds a bit obscure, but have you tried restarting the computer?

only about 30 times

I've also enabled "Advanced mode" on process monitor which seems to give a fair bit more info (attached as a csv). Maybe this will help?
Attached files
lfs_proc_mon_logfile_csv.txt - 6.3 KB - 823 views
Can somebody do a quick test for me please. I tried to add a custom resolution which worked although for some reason I think the 1920x1080 looks sharper. I played around a bit and then all of a sudden something seemed to change when swapping between the resolutions in lfs. It seems the black smear (which I only ever noticed slightly in tuscany demo) has got worse on my dk2. Before, when in a car I could move my head around and I noticed zero black smear, now it's jumping out at me, looking at the right mirror and moving left to right creates a black smear or line or shimmer. Looking down at the black leather seats is horrific. Can someone look at the mirror and move around & see if it does this as I don't remember it doing it at all over the last few days.

It could just be me and for some reason my brain is now noticing it or maybe something has gone wrong with lfs, my dk2 or the sdk. I'm going to try a clean install of the sdk and lfs and see what happens.
new update coming for the rift, might as well just wait for that
The OLED true black smearing always happens, you propably just ignored it at first.

Someone did mention that you can kind of prevent it from happening by messing around with the graphics card drivers and adjusting the Rifts RGB range so the dark pixels will always be slightly illuminated instead of completely switched off.

After the F5 CAC patch I also noticed that text looks sharper at 1920x1080, but I'll still rather take supersampled 2560x1440 to get smoother trees and other alpha layered textures.
Getting somewhere?
Remembered about a tool I've read about elsewhere called "Dependency Walker" (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256872)

Ran that on LFSORDLL.dll and it identified a problem with MSVCR100.dll.
I've run into similar issues on a few other applications / demos but I've installed various versions of the C++ runtime and in some cases this has resolved the issue.

see screenshot:

Anyway, this lead me to this page: http://stackoverflow.com/quest ... win-7-64-bit-dll-problems and installing the Win7 SDK from here http://www.microsoft.com/en-us ... confirmation.aspx?id=8279

One potential difference between my machine and most (all?) of yours is that I'm not an (active) Windows developer so my machine may be missing libraries (or something) that is installed with Visual Studio?

Anyway, I feel I'm getting somewhere, but having the Win7 SDK installed (and rebooting) hasn't made a difference. Also MSVCR100.dll still shows as missing in dependency walker :/

edit: MSVCR100.dll is present in both the System32 and SysWOW64 folders
Quote from adrianstealth :new update coming for the rift, might as well just wait for that

What's that?

Quote from simg :One potential difference between my machine and most (all?) of yours is that I'm not an (active) Windows developer so my machine may be missing libraries (or something) that is installed with Visual Studio?

I don't think most people with the Rift are active developers with Visual Studio installed.

Definitely something a little odd about your computer at the moment. You shouldn't need anything special installed other than the Oculus Runtime.

Anyway, I've made LFS report the Windows error message when LoadLibrary fails, though I guess it probably won't tell us anything useful.
No visual studio or SDKs on my gaming PC. I'd recommend doing a 'sfc /scannow', a full run of windows update and making sure you have up to date versions of directx and .net. Really weird issue...
sorry I was referring to the "G" version (or closer to it)

that you've mentioned , so it was a LFS rift update
Quote from Scawen :
Hi, I think it looks like you are using "Duplicate" or "Clone" mode on your desktop. But that doesn't really work now (it did on DK1 but not DK2 because it has a sideways screen). You need the ordinary extended desktop mode (Windows desktop setting) where you can slide a window across off your desktop and it slides into another part of the desktop that is shown on the Rift. The window that you slide onto the Rift must appear in the normal orientation and paradoxically, this is by setting "portrait" mode for that screen in your Windows settings. THEN you can make LFS work. After selecting 3D mode, LFS will do an auto-exit (after confirming with you first) and then when you start it again, it should take over the Rift device but not appear on the desktop.

I tried that, however I am still having issues. I have tried 5 different demos that have a direct to rift app and they all work, so again all the hardware appears to be fine. The problem comes when putting it in extended mode. And bizarrely, any time I exit a demo and then open it again, it goes into the flickering state and I have to unplug the usb or restart machine to get it working again.

The other problem is, I cant extend the desktop and drag any windows without being in extended mode. When I go into displays, it only shows my monitor screen unless the rift is in extended mode. Then I have the option to select the rift screen however no matter what resolutions, orientation or refresh rate I choose, something is either upside down, only in one eye or flickering like crazy.

Does anyone here know of a tutorial that shows displays being setup? Or could anyone make a quite video and show me how they get it to work? I know it's asking a lot but I really have tried everything at this stage
most demos don't work on my setup

the desk config demo always work 100% -I assume this is working on yours?

I fiddled with different modes etc -then nothing worked so I reverted back to what I thought was the basic settings then suddenly some started to work including LFS (so I've not touched settings since) I'm referring to mainly nvidia control panel -extended monitor - both resolution HD (check rift is 75hz)

in rift config it's in extended mode

the rift software is still a tad sentimental it just takes some fiddling
(then leave it alone once you have working what you want to work)

it was really about 6hrs in the first evening of receiving my rift until got it going like it is now & still not entirely sure what it is I did ?!%#?!
Quote from adrianstealth :most demos don't work on my setup

the desk config demo always work 100% -I assume this is working on yours?

I fiddled with different modes etc -then nothing worked so I reverted back to what I thought was the basic settings then suddenly some started to work including LFS (so I've not touched settings since) I'm referring to mainly nvidia control panel -extended monitor - both resolution HD (check rift is 75hz)

in rift config it's in extended mode

the rift software is still a tad sentimental it just takes some fiddling
(then leave it alone once you have working what you want to work)

it was really about 6hrs in the first evening of receiving my rift until got it going like it is now & still not entirely sure what it is I did ?!%#?!

Well that makes me feel a little bit better

But I still have the extra problem of having to unplug everything after I try a demo. Hopefully that will issue will resolve itself if I get it working in extended mode.

As I said, most demos with a direct to rift exe have worked fine for me, although I experienced judder with tuscany and chilling space that made it a little uncomfortable. Lava Inc worked the best for me I think, although again I felt little nauseous near the end of it and needed to stop. Now I really want to get a cockpit experience up and running as I have been a sim racer for 5 years and I can't bare being so close to trying it without being able to.

Apologies for taking this off topic, but it is somewhat related to LFS as thats what I want to get working the most.
yes some demos I was getting that dreadful shudder

then (& again no idea what solved it) after fiddling everything totally butter smooth

trouble is with pc's there are 1000's of hardware configurations out there
so seems to take a while for problems to be sorted

anyway assuming you have a decent spec PC keep fiddling

p,s I run uncapped and no vsync (check your gpu control panel)
with vysnc things are not butter smooth

turn off AA & multisample (perhaps use low AA & no multisample in LFS once your happy with the way it's running)

maximise your fps at all costs for a lag free 1:1 fluid experience
p.s sorry to mention this again (for the devs)

be good if the next patch could simply allow unlimited fps cap

eg not limited to 100

I use uncapped (it seems to run at 333.3fps) but suspect that 151fps cap might be a good cap for me

-based on cap experiments with Iracing on different monitors in the past
121fps cap for 120hz & 181fps cap for 60hz always worked & felt the very best for me

sorry to sound as though on top of the total fantastic LFS - dk2 support there is a request lol

thanks
Quote from ctuchik :No visual studio or SDKs on my gaming PC. I'd recommend doing a 'sfc /scannow', a full run of windows update and making sure you have up to date versions of directx and .net. Really weird issue...

sfc /scannow didn't find any issues and a full windows update including optional patches hasn't made any difference

dependency walker still reports MSVCR100.DLL as being problematic, but I have reason to believe maybe a limitation of dependency walker not understanding about win32/64 (see https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/393036)

In other news, I managed to get my venerable Logitech FFGP steering wheel out of the loft and working with LFS

Many thanks for the help and suggestions so far. Unless anyone has any other suggestions, I'll wait for the next patch and see if it's improved error reporting reveals anything.
Quote from simg :sfc /scannow didn't find any issues and a full windows update including optional patches hasn't made any difference

dependency walker still reports MSVCR100.DLL as being problematic, but I have reason to believe maybe a limitation of dependency walker not understanding about win32/64 (see https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/393036)

In other news, I managed to get my venerable Logitech FFGP steering wheel out of the loft and working with LFS

Many thanks for the help and suggestions so far. Unless anyone has any other suggestions, I'll wait for the next patch and see if it's improved error reporting reveals anything.

Here is someone having issues with another dll, and someone suggesting a fix:
https://developer.oculusvr.com ... &t=8032&start=100
thanks ctuchik.

The solution suggested in that link is to download the visual c runtime distributable. I've already done that and a few variations on that theme :/

thanks though
Ghosting
Its funny. The implementation of LFS is so good that the ghosting is really clear now when you move from side to side. This isn't the black smearing but looks like everything has a shadow trail it for a second no matter the color of the item.

Anyone else see this?

Is this an issue with the panel itself? I heard something about the panels ghosting for one frame in HW.
can you do a video

(press a camera up to one of the dk2 lenses )
I bought the S2 license but whenever I try to unlock the game I get an "unknown version" error. Is this because of this patch?

Edit: Yup. It's because of this patch. I uninstalled everything and reinstalled the vanilla version and was able to unlock it.

You might wanna fix this eventually.
Quote from adrianstealth :can you do a video

(press a camera up to one of the dk2 lenses )

Just recorded a video but it is hard to see. Will have to wait for it to upload but I can post a picture from the video.
Attached images
photo 1.PNG
photo 2.PNG
photo 3.PNG
Quote from cmorosco :Just recorded a video but it is hard to see. Will have to wait for it to upload but I can post a picture from the video.

Do you have vsync on? Does it run at 75 fps? That's exactly what I saw in a demo when the refresh rate was locked at 60 hz instead of 75.
Quote from cmorosco :Its funny. The implementation of LFS is so good that the ghosting is really clear now when you move from side to side. This isn't the black smearing but looks like everything has a shadow trail it for a second no matter the color of the item.

Anyone else see this?

Is this an issue with the panel itself? I heard something about the panels ghosting for one frame in HW.

Have you checked the low persistence option?

Quote from mrgreen72 :I bought the S2 license but whenever I try to unlock the game I get an "unknown version" error. Is this because of this patch?

Edit: Yup. It's because of this patch. I uninstalled everything and reinstalled the vanilla version and was able to unlock it.

You might wanna fix this eventually.

Thank you. Just answered you on the Rift forum - my mistake on the master server - fixed now.
Quote from cmorosco :Its funny. The implementation of LFS is so good that the ghosting is really clear now when you move from side to side. This isn't the black smearing but looks like everything has a shadow trail it for a second no matter the color of the item.

Anyone else see this?

This is exactly what my dk2 started to do. It was when I was changing resolutions in lfs. All of a sudden it started to ghost & not just true blacks. It didn't do it before & it says I'm at 75fps in lfs & low persistence is on & does make a difference. It's really bad & annoying I can't get it to stop doing it. A shadow trail on everything is the best way to explain it. I have the latest lfs patch. I'm glad I'm not the only one. (What does HW mean?)

Another way to explain it is for example in an lx4. Before, I could stare ahead whilst looking at the dials & move my head from side to side fairly quickly. The dials would stay totally still & grounded to the scene. But now they shadow blur from side to side. Which makes it seem like they are moving & not grounded to the car. The weird thing is when my dk2 started to do it, it was literally like a switch. Perfect one second, then changed res & then boom it was all smeary & ghosty yet moving my head around is still buttery smooth

There is still the possibility my brain just started to notice it all of a sudden but I'm still 80/20 thinking something changed to make it do that smearing. cmorosco, did your dk2 not do this in lfs at any stage? Or was it always like this?
I got the oculus .
After installation gives me error 0.4.1:
service oculus not avallable..............
it happened to someone?
sorry off topic
This thread is closed

TEST PATCH 0.6F12 (Rift DK2)
(832 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG