The online racing simulator
Gran Turismo 6
(415 posts, started )
Congratulations everyone. It looks like tons of fun. Too bad it is not for PS4.
Looks like a waste of money to me.
I did a Honda Civic type R around Willow Springs at night could see bugger all. Had to sit on the lead car until just before the main straight to see where to go. Headlights still need a lot of work.
Reading some reviews, mostly mixed feelings, some obviously got paid to hand out good ratings, but what stands out is this one. He basically tells the truth (it's the same old average, broken, unfinished etc.), but gives it 9/10.
In the end i decided not to go for it.
It is essentially gt5.5. Only real difference is the bigger amount of tracks+rain and night racing for all tracks. Ai is still 100€ the same. I could post some replays just like cooolcol's from gt5 where I drive a car with poorer tires and poorer pp points than the ai and the "fights back".

GT5 will probably lose its online mode soon though so I would not buy gt5 for offline racing. But for purely offline racing I'd not buy any gt game anyways. The offline mode in forza is so many ways superior that is not even a choise which one to get for purely offline racing. Honestly I think it is really tough choise even choosing which one to buy gt5 or gt6. Gt5 is little bit worse and has little bit less content but also costs something like 10€ where gt6 costs 60€. In direct comparison gt6 is of course better but is there enough to pay 50€ more for it?

Maybe a couple of months from now gt6 is a decent purchase when it can be had for 10-20€.
I feel lucky, because what I want to do in GT is what I would love to do in real life: Collect most of my favorite cars (currently have 390 in GT5) and take them for a spin every now and then, just some track day sessions, and compare each other in stock form. That's all I want, I don't care about racing, AI or online, and GT6 does it really well. Will order it for Christmas, meanwhile I can enjoy my last hours of GT5.
Quote from atledreier :Or your brightness settings?

It could have been just related to that particular car but it was like the lights were set too high. They worked the best when the nose dipped under brakes.

$73 AU dollars for the 7,000,000 credits seems very steep. The 1,000,000 credits I got for the 15 anniversary edition won't go far. So there will be a lot more grinding to do which I don't mind, I've done 25% of the game and made 490,000 in credits and so far I have only brought the Fit and the Civic type R with very few mods.
I have used the bonus cars on 3 events. It will be interesting to see if there is the classic race with descent return for winning.
Quote from Hyperactive :It is essentially gt5.5. Only real difference is the bigger amount of tracks+rain and night racing for all tracks. Ai is still 100€ the same. I could post some replays just like cooolcol's from gt5 where I drive a car with poorer tires and poorer pp points than the ai and the "fights back".

GT5 will probably lose its online mode soon though so I would not buy gt5 for offline racing. But for purely offline racing I'd not buy any gt game anyways. The offline mode in forza is so many ways superior that is not even a choise which one to get for purely offline racing. Honestly I think it is really tough choise even choosing which one to buy gt5 or gt6. Gt5 is little bit worse and has little bit less content but also costs something like 10€ where gt6 costs 60€. In direct comparison gt6 is of course better but is there enough to pay 50€ more for it?

Maybe a couple of months from now gt6 is a decent purchase when it can be had for 10-20€.

Physics are much improved and a noticeable improvement in all areas
Quote from Hotdogxx60 :I did a Honda Civic type R around Willow Springs at night could see bugger all. Had to sit on the lead car until just before the main straight to see where to go. Headlights still need a lot of work.

try the low/high beam switch?

I didn't have any issues with GT6 here, whereas in GT5 I did
The race cars are also much brighter
Quote from Chrisuu01 :Enough has been said by using this video.

http://youtu.be/f4w17uKTOQw
My god, this sound is so bad it just baffles me.

While the SLS GT3 is sexy on the inside, it doesn't sound all that special on the outside - I came across this vid
Quite a metallic zing ring sound at full throttle upper revs

http://youtu.be/Ck23f6Gs7Gg?t=55s

I think PD only record exhausts and not much intake sound....
And have the mic too close to the car, so you hear all the air rush and zing
Quote from CoolColJ :try the low/high beam switch?

I didn't have any issues with GT6 here, whereas in GT5 I did
The race cars are also much brighter

I did flick between Hi and Low. Low beam did put a sight glow just in front but the slightest uphill and it went. I am using a hi def projector so I may lose some definition with the blacks as apposed to a TV. The light were much better around the city tracks and Bathurst was ok too. See what you think when you do National B night series.
Quote from Hotdogxx60 :I did flick between Hi and Low. Low beam did put a sight glow just in front but the slightest uphill and it went. I am using a hi def projector so I may lose some definition with the blacks as apposed to a TV. The light were much better around the city tracks and Bathurst was ok too. See what you think when you do National B night series.

Ok, I usually have my EV at +0.3 to 0.4 so that may help
Quote from CoolColJ :While the SLS GT3 is sexy on the inside, it doesn't sound all that special on the outside - I came across this vid

That isn't really the biggest problem in this case. That particular SLS in GT6 has the overtones of a 6-cylinder engine rather than an 8-cylinder engine.

So when it revs out to the top of its range, the pitch is more in line with something like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2kVwpY1Ofs with much more tinniness. It's really obvious that it has a 6-cylinder engine pitch...

For reference here's the GT6 SLS GT3 again... http://youtu.be/f4w17uKTOQw.

Not at all like a V8... It bothers me that they got something as simple as the pitch and overtones wrong because each engine type has such a unique and easily identifiable sound.
Quote from Mustafur :Physics are much improved and a noticeable improvement in all areas

Is it really noticeable difference? Do almost all of the cars have tons of understeer by default, is abs 0 usable and do you still need to put softer compounds on the front to get somewhat neutral handling? Do kerbs upset the car? If it is noticeably better to drive than gt5 I might get it for online racing but the academy demo felt kinda slightly improved but not enough imho. Does the modern skyline for example still drive like a strange diarrhea of underteer with random snap oversteer? Do you need to rotate the car into the turn by coming off the brakes abruptly to get a snap oversteer to not understeer like in the academy demo?
Quote from Scatter :That isn't really the biggest problem in this case. That particular SLS in GT6 has the overtones of a 6-cylinder engine rather than an 8-cylinder engine.

So when it revs out to the top of its range, the pitch is more in line with something like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2kVwpY1Ofs with much more tinniness. It's really obvious that it has a 6-cylinder engine pitch...

For reference here's the GT6 SLS GT3 again... http://youtu.be/f4w17uKTOQw.

Not at all like a V8... It bothers me that they got something as simple as the pitch and overtones wrong because each engine type has such a unique and easily identifiable sound.

They could probably use the sound from the AMG Vision GT - in the game it sounds like an SLS, a typical Merc V8 throaty sound
AMG actually provided the raw sounds for PD, so maybe it's on PD sound team's where the stuff is getting crapped up...

Ill up a vid up later
Quote from Hyperactive :Is it really noticeable difference? Do almost all of the cars have tons of understeer by default, is abs 0 usable and do you still need to put softer compounds on the front to get somewhat neutral handling? Do kerbs upset the car? If it is noticeably better to drive than gt5 I might get it for online racing but the academy demo felt kinda slightly improved but not enough imho. Does the modern skyline for example still drive like a strange diarrhea of underteer with random snap oversteer? Do you need to rotate the car into the turn by coming off the brakes abruptly to get a snap oversteer to not understeer like in the academy demo?

I haven't done mega amounts of testing, or driven many cars yet, but that driving on ice feeling in GT5 when you start to slide/power oversteer is no longer there and to a lesser extent the GTA demo ( which had it a bit)
There is more of a textured grippy slide - especially when you pull the handbrake etc

It feels different from the GTA demo even. Much more inbetween stuff in the transitions etc.
Even FF cars will sometimes tighten into the turn, on powering out of a turn, instead of washing wide - the tail swinging more outwards etc.

Tyre model and suspension has improved a lot - the transmission side of things not so much
The tyre noise provides more feedback as well, not just the same constant screech, there are gradual variations and skipped sounds
Quote from Hyperactive :Is it really noticeable difference? Do almost all of the cars have tons of understeer by default, is abs 0 usable and do you still need to put softer compounds on the front to get somewhat neutral handling? Do kerbs upset the car? If it is noticeably better to drive than gt5 I might get it for online racing but the academy demo felt kinda slightly improved but not enough imho. Does the modern skyline for example still drive like a strange diarrhea of underteer with random snap oversteer? Do you need to rotate the car into the turn by coming off the brakes abruptly to get a snap oversteer to not understeer like in the academy demo?

yes, kerbs upset the car badly especially at bathurst.

Front wheel drive cars also have loads of Oversteer when aggressively steered, that never used to happen.

The suspention model now lets you feel the weight of the car its a pretty big change tbh.
Never been so disappointed with a game in my life. Physics are worse than gt5. Car sounds aren't right in any way shape or form. Drive the ford gt40s shelby daytona or audi quattro and you will want to return the game.

The mk1 gti isn't even a gti in this game. It handles worse than my base model rabbit...

And they kept the ****ing terrible paint chip system...
Quote from Blade3562 : you will want to return the game....

That's exactly what I did. So disappointed. I think I have simply outgrown the GT series. With all the resources and money they have put into this I can't believe this is the result.

Assetto Corsa has certainly shown us what the current generation can provide in terms of a good looking, rewarding driving simulation.
They ipgraded maybe 20 cars and added 25 more that's all I see. The tracks and environment blow forza away but gameplay is so terrible words cannot describe. Especially in arcade.

I am so happy the A110 and 2000gt are premium, but the golf mk1? This car changed the entire market. A mk1 gti does not have body roll. In this game the car wants to flip?!

And my biggest beef. I preordered ti get custom styled cars, but I can't put different wheels on it or different body panels available for the non gt version. What the actual....

I do love Brands Hatch though. Quite possibly my favorite course on the planet.
Quote from Blade3562 :I am so happy the A110 and 2000gt are premium, but the golf mk1? This car changed the entire market. A mk1 gti does not have body roll. In this game the car wants to flip?!

Kaz cares only about his Skyline collection...
Quote from CoolColJ :While the SLS GT3 is sexy on the inside, it doesn't sound all that special on the outside - I came across this vid

I do not care in the slightest. The video clearly shows us what it should sound like.

It does not even come close to that in Gt6, so PD failed end of story.

Gran Turismo 6
(415 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG