The online racing simulator
Tristan is right imo. It's a brand name so no other rules apply. Like if you knew a family whose surname was Lotus, you wouldn't say "The Lotii are coming to dinner".

The "teasing" post is interesting. It's funny what people will complain about. I think the trickle of information has been just right, and it will also be fascinating to see just how far they go with the marketing when release comes around. Risky to spend a lot there but surely they can't simply depend on steam and sim racing communities either.
Quote from sinbad :The "teasing" post is interesting. It's funny what people will complain about. I think the trickle of information has been just right, and it will also be fascinating to see just how far they go with the marketing when release comes around. Risky to spend a lot there but surely they can't simply depend on steam and sim racing communities either.

If there was no information coming out, people would be whining (look at these forums) so the AC devs give a relatively steady stream of updates and... people are whining.

No pleasing anyone, is there? I don't envy them, that's for sure.

I, for one, am bloody excited for this one. I'm fine with the way they're handling their public stuff, and I know it'll be released when they deem it appropriate.

As for the marketing; they've stated that they're still a relatively unknown title. That's been my concern the whole time; nKPRO was pretty good, but the community was always tiny (and that's not just because of the netcode). For AC to really be a success, they need more sales. I want this title to get big so that it can grow into a good, solid, popular base for mods.
Just by being on Steam should provide plenty of sales, as long as they can get people to be actually aware of the title.

So far, they've been doing a good job on that part atleast, even if PCARS is winning in awareness due to their unlimited eye candy screenshots.
The iRent version looks like it's missing the sausage kerbs near the pit straight complex.
... If they're different, why is there even that video? If it's supposed to "compare" silverstone, shouldn't it be the same version?!
Some changes were made between iSpending's laser scan and AC's, including sausages kerbs, Tarmac run offs and gravel traps. Tracks change over time...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF3nXzKxTsM finally an onboard

It looks like that ferrari has way too much grip in the corners.. or is it just me? I don't know how the car handles in real life, but that seemed a little off..
WTF if I watch the video and you don't tell me what game is, my guess would be NFS Shift or some shit like that
This is why I don't like animated drivers - the gearshift animation STARTS when he pulls the paddle, and takes a lot longer than the actual gear change. In the beta I'm sure the driver put his hand on the gear lever near the redline to prempt the shift. Doesn't seem to now.

Also, the animation completes, even when he shifts three or four gears in quick succession, rather than the animation staying on the lever.

Hence it looks very very silly.

If it wasn't for that, it might look better. The car does seem to move around a bit, and is catchable, but impossible to judge from a video.
Quote from tristancliffe :This is why I don't like animated drivers - the gearshift animation STARTS when he pulls the paddle, and takes a lot longer than the actual gear change. In the beta I'm sure the driver put his hand on the gear lever near the redline to prempt the shift. Doesn't seem to now.

I agree it's a stupid thing that I would turn off immediately if I can. I don't mind seeing arms and hands, but if you can't make it learn when you change gear and how many times, just leave them on the wheel. This sort of rubbish out of sync animation is just for console game intros and trailers with fancy camera angles and editing to match the rubbish music and has no place in a serious simulation imo.

The video isn't a great advert for AC really, physics don't exactly leap out as impressive either.
The shifting animation delay has already been discussed on the AC forum, it's impossible to sync the shifting and the animation itself. That's why they put the hand on the shifter just before the shifting point. No idea why they got rid of it.
Quote from tristancliffe :This is why I don't like animated drivers - the gearshift animation STARTS when he pulls the paddle, and takes a lot longer than the actual gear change. In the beta I'm sure the driver put his hand on the gear lever near the redline to prempt the shift. Doesn't seem to now.

Also, the animation completes, even when he shifts three or four gears in quick succession, rather than the animation staying on the lever.

Hence it looks very very silly.

If it wasn't for that, it might look better. The car does seem to move around a bit, and is catchable, but impossible to judge from a video.

I think it looks bizarre [physics-wise] because of the delayed cockpit animation.

Lol at people reading too much into it. You can't tell how the physics FEEL from WATCHING. Also the driver in this video is CLEARLY using some form of driver aid and also seems to be using a gamepad or such. Silly people judging physics from a video. Kind of disappointing that people would do that, when they've driven the TP and KNOW the potential of this sim.
So, what you're saying is that they're definitely lying in the video description where it's stated that
Quote :Driving assists: disabled
Game device: Fanatec ClubSport Wheel

The potential is as much a matter of opinion as the appearance of the physics in the video are, which aren't impressive. I'm not saying the final product will be this or that or anything, but it's not impressive, and judging what a video looks like doesn't strike me as silly, in fact denying what a video looks like would be a bit silly, no matter what you "know".

Whatever the physics are like and whatever the reasons for the way it looks here, I question the release of this video more than any other tidbit or teaser simply because it doesn't look that good.
It's very hard to judge physics from videos like that. Main problems for me at least are camera effects such as g-force simulation, hand animations and such.

I have found that only way to judge physics somewhat properly is from videos whit a skilled driver using a proper wheel (at least a G25 type of product) and that the recording shows the actual hand work on the wheel.

If that isn't available at least the incar view should have a 100% static camera. G-force effects tend to filter out all the little movements the car does and so the handling dynamics don't really show at all.
Ok that does look horrid, whatever the reason is..
Quote from NotAnIllusion :So, what you're saying is that they're definitely lying in the video description where it's stated that

Well use your eyes, for whatever reason you can clearly see the cockpit input barely matches the visual output... Only thing it says to me is driving aid.

There's no way they can go from such a promising TP to that. The way it's driving, rotating on the spot, the seemingly random grip accumulation, everything about that says driving aid to me.
That's not driving aids, that's leaning more toward odd behavior.

I'll wait until I actually drive it before stating anything though. No need to make assumptions so early.
To me it looks like gamepad + all driving aids.
At least we all agree something is weird there and hopefully this is not truly indicative of what is to come. Makes me wish I could play a new demo before I pre-order though. They need some good videos to make up for this one.
Just terrible cockpit camera movement and derpy shift animation as far as I can see.
Lol those shift animations are really slow
Quote from Matrixi :Just terrible cockpit camera movement and derpy shift animation as far as I can see.

That's definitely adding to the perception of something "seeming wrong".

Kunos Simulazioni - Assetto Corsa
(8871 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG