The online racing simulator
How exactly do you tell physics from such a video... Nothing seems to be wrong, but do GT videos from track side look wrong (as long as cars don't fly)?

Use your eyes. Simple as that. Look how it turns. Does the car turns into corners and moves at them by sliding all entirely, like in semi-sims or arcade games? You can see how realisticly the car turns and moves at the corner. We already know that McLaren is based on 4wd so you can even predict such a grip from such a car. And don't worry, I've tried all built versions of tech preview, and actually from the very first moment physics felt right and with every new built everything went better and better.

Edit: oh yeah, Roland already posted this video. Sorry for spam, in this case. My bad. I should be more cautious
Quote :McLaren MP4-12C GT3

Quote :We already know that McLaren is based on 4wd...

Quote :Does the car turns into corners and moves at them by sliding all entirely, like in semi-sims or arcade games?

But as long as a car in a semi-sim is configured to be very understeery, it won't be much different watching from track side cam.

I'm not saying I find the physics not good or anything, and I believe Kunos will deliver a great sim physics-wise just like they did last time. I just feel confused when people say they can tell the physics of a hard-core sim is "great" by only looking at a track side cam replay.

And also I don't think that video gives a real graphics and sound feeling as it's recorded with a handheld camera.
Was doing some serious thinking while drinking coffee.. can you see this beeing the proper replacement for LFS, and i mean that LFS experience, in it's prime time, with leagues, skinning, setup sharing and all those good vibes.. I'm not there for a very long time and i'm guessing most of the old members aren't as into it as say, 2006, 2007..
I know it depends on the netcode and how they'll do the whole online thing, but can you see yourself commiting to another sim as you did to LFS?
Why must it always be this or that Sim? I don't think you need to "commit" to any single one, just play what you like who cares which combination of Sims you prefer.

I doubt Assetto will be very feature complete when it comes out anyway, there is stuff we got in LFS that is missing in other Sims and we miss stuff in LFS that other Sims got since Day 1. Thats just the way it is, you will never find the perfect one that can do it all. To answer your question, no I don't think I will remove LFS from my hard disk any time soon, it just does too many things right to get rid of it, even with all it's shortcomings.
Quote from troy :Why must it always be this or that Sim? I don't think you need to "commit" to any single one, just play what you like who cares which combination of Sims you prefer.

I doubt Assetto will be very feature complete when it comes out anyway, there is stuff we got in LFS that is missing in other Sims and we miss stuff in LFS that other Sims got since Day 1. Thats just the way it is, you will never find the perfect one that can do it all. To answer your question, no I don't think I will remove LFS from my hard disk any time soon, it just does too many things right to get rid of it, even with all it's shortcomings.

Good point.
Quote from troy :Why must it always be this or that Sim? I don't think you need to "commit" to any single one, just play what you like who cares which combination of Sims you prefer.

I'm like that, couldn't play two of them on a serious level at the same time i don't think..
Like to choose something that is the best option in that genre, and stick to it..

But i've meant more like can you see yourself playing it like you did LFS in it's best of days.. or is that past us old timers..
So it's not running on a high-end rig you mean?

I hope AC won't run as poorly as LFS does. But I doubt that it will, since it's not coded with 20 year old technologies.
Quote from lol_men :Guys, not sure if You have noticed but its running on GTX 560, Intel quad core CPU, 4GB ram with medium graphic settings (thats what YT discription says)
I dont even want to thing what are requirements to run smoothly with full grid

Well it's a modern game with modern graphics, you can't expect 100 FPS on a 3DFX Voodoo 2 with a full grid like on LFS.

Aren't those specs pretty low end anyhow?
i know its not high end PC but i hope i will not have to go SLI to admire every single detail on max settings in smooth 55fps
What would be wrong with that? If it looked really good (like pCARS for example) on high, it would be okay. But if it looks 99% the same as on the video it would be a waste. I would be glad to run it a 60FPS on medium like on the video, looks pretty enough.
Quote from Boris Lozac :Was doing some serious thinking while drinking coffee.. can you see this beeing the proper replacement for LFS, and i mean that LFS experience, in it's prime time, with leagues, skinning, setup sharing and all those good vibes.. I'm not there for a very long time and i'm guessing most of the old members aren't as into it as say, 2006, 2007..
I know it depends on the netcode and how they'll do the whole online thing, but can you see yourself commiting to another sim as you did to LFS?

LFS was a novelty for me, like "Wow, this is possible and it's bloody good!", or perhaps a bit like when you pass your driving test and you jump at any excuse to drive any car at any time.

That feeling has gone, so I can't see myself pumping hours in to it or any racing sim regularly again, but I'm still enthusiastic enough to want to enjoy them from time to time. You're right about the netcode but then I played nKpro for hours and hours and almost never online, and AC might be like that times a hundred, so even just as a single player game it will offer a lot, for me at least.

About system requirements, I wouldn't be concerned if the steering lag had not existed, but if it's going to be near-vital to maintain 60fps+ at all times, it could be a problem. Those dust and smoke effects are pretty brutal on the fps in the tech-preview. I can imagine an incident at t1, where your 100fps is suddenly 45fps and your steering doesn't work properly, which would suck.

I hope they have seriously rethought that, controls should never lag until the game is at such low FPS that it's unplayable anyway, not 30fps.
anyway - i've been playing LFS for 6 years so any graphics/performance will do just give me proper physics and nice accurate damage which is not only eye candy effect and affects aerodynamic aswell as mechanical grip, engine/gearbox and so on
Quote from sinbad :LFS was a novelty for me, like "Wow, this is possible and it's bloody good!", or perhaps a bit like when you pass your driving test and you jump at any excuse to drive any car at any time.

That feeling has gone, so I can't see myself pumping hours in to it or any racing sim regularly again, but I'm still enthusiastic enough to want to enjoy them from time to time. You're right about the netcode but then I played nKpro for hours and hours and almost never online, and AC might be like that times a hundred, so even just as a single player game it will offer a lot, for me at least..

Yeah that's pretty much exactly how i feel.. I sure hope so i will have the will and time for some serious online races though, that's were these 'games' shine the most..
That McLaren is looking insanely grippy? Hitting kurbs hard and not even a hint of sidestepping or anything. Just railroading around the track....
I agree, that car looked extremely stable! But then again I have no knowlege of this car or how it behaves with different setups / driving styles.
It's like the people complaining how understeery the Lotus in the TP is... Meahwhile it's quite understeery IRL as well... First check how the real car behaves, then make an opinion.
Quote from The Very End :I agree, that car looked extremely stable

Well, that is to be expected from such a modern and defined sportscar, no?

Those teaser are sweet, but hardly something to get too excited about. Graphics look good, but not amazing; more like todays standard. The sound is in question too. Film GT5 off of a screen in a room with a lot of echo and it sounds greatly volumetric, or full.

What I'd like to see is an improved soundstage, with the effects of air density and direction, as well asechos of the other cars somewhere on the track. Icashing does it, but still sounds synthetic and "clear"

Having said that, definitely gonna preorder that shit xD
I don't know many sim racers that are not looking forward to AC, me included. Hope it lives up our hopes.

AC will have to do until S3 comes on pre-order I suppose.

Kunos Simulazioni - Assetto Corsa
(8871 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG