The online racing simulator
Quote from Omar1 :Think of the lag though, even with a decent computer!

who cares, after the 1st hard corner, there will be less cars !!!
Quote from PMD9409 :

Edit: Honestly I wish that more consistent patches would come out moreso than working so much on physics. The underlying issue is there of course, but with the amount of time it has taken, it seems to be more important to keep some other things moving instead of losing focus on it with headaches from tire physics.

Everybody wants that, i believe. Current physics arent bad.
Small patches from time to time (and not from year to year) and new content of course...

Anyway, lets see what Scawen will give us this week

Quote :who cares, after the 1st hard corner, there will be less cars !!!

Sad but true

Public use isn't really my concern sadly, so I don't feel that's an issue.

There's something called multiplayer speedup (and /maxcars=x to keep public grids at 32) for a reason.
Quote from boothy :There's something called multiplayer speedup (and /maxcars=x to keep public grids at 32) for a reason.

/carsmax=5 :max number of cars in a race
A new patch, you say?

You're better off in another game, if you're waiting for that.
Quote from NovaK :A new patch, you say?

So you people finally got tired of using these shitty mods to drift with and whatnot?

xD best troll so far xD

hahahaha
I don't expect the friday (or next friday, or before christmas) patch to contain much content, but hack prevention and multiplayer optimization. Nothing fancy at all.

btw that gif is great
Quote from Bose321 :So you people finally got tired of using these shitty mods to drift with and whatnot?

You got no clue do you?

As far as I know the only thing NovaK is involved in inside LFS is cruising. And cruising has put a ban on mods since day 2.
Quote from rockclan :As far as I know the only thing NovaK is involved in inside LFS is cruising. And cruising has put a ban on mods since day 2.

That explains the drifting link and team in his signature and the fact that I know him from LFS Drift I believe and seen him drift several times.
Quote from Bose321 :So you people finally got tired of using these shitty mods to drift with and whatnot?

I can only speak for myself, and i only drift stock lfs. Also i don't see how your input can be any relative to LFS development.

People create modifications on their behalf to make LFS better in their view. If they intend to share that, i think it's good that they support and contribute to the community. I don't know what your refering to when you say shitty mods, but there are a bounch of improvements that's been created, some parts you are probably already using, and some that doesn't always please the developers.

Quote from rockclan :You got no clue do you?
As far as I know the only thing NovaK is involved in inside LFS is cruising. And cruising has put a ban on mods since day 2.

I gave up crusing over a year ago, and has since then been a full time drifter.
Just in case anyone hasn't followed the hacker thread yet. This is as close as a progress report as you're going to see.

Quote from Scawen :So tomorrow I will just work through every packet's response code and every function called by those bits of code, in the hope of finding one that does not have its bounds checked, so a hacker can cause LFS to overwrite the wrong bit of memory.

It's boring and tedious work, the kind that makes my eyes go funny and my head spin. That's why it would be great if the hackers could lend a hand, and save me some pointless hours. Obviously it's only my fault that there is a bug, so I am the one to blame. It's great that the hackers found the bug. It would be even better if they could tell us too.

hahah would you listen to this guy.. we don't use mods
even the this forum of "ANY" information on development is dead, LFS is so DEAD! and Scawen says, that hackers makes his life tough, so instead of developing the game and release "anything - tracks, cars, better physics, anything new" he once in a while is fixing the weak spots where hackers is having fun ...
this game need more developers for sure, because we can wait 5 more years and still nothing will be released ...
Quote from Scorpio :even the this forum of "ANY" information on development is dead, LFS is so DEAD! and Scawen says, that hackers makes his life tough, so instead of developing the game and release "anything - tracks, cars, better physics, anything new" he once in a while is fixing the weak spots where hackers is having fun ...
this game need more developers for sure, because we can wait more 5 years and still nothing will be released ...

Too bad Scawen won't read this
It would be cool if someone made a thread to study how people of this community stands to LFS today. Where the people sign up and provide necessary information in a Poll. And can be presented in a diagram/dialog, where you will be able to see (for an example): how many that still trust and belive in LFS, or has thought about of moving to another racing game equivalent to LFS (released or not), or have stopped entirely with LFS due to lacking of updates and promises that just has been putted on hold..

With this the developers can easily see statistics of how the community stands. And hopefully something good will come out from it. It is optional of what questions or information you wish to add into this, i just brought up an example.
it aint a matter on who thinks what or who trust or doesnt trust,it wont help him fix the problems hes having with tyre physics,#
it may make him work harder on them but then how do you know he already isnt working hard on them and just keeps running into one problem then another when that part of the physics is fixed which then brings its own set of problems

i know i cannot understand where most of you are coming from because i know some of you have been with lfs for a long time but then you have had more than your moneys worth and anything else is a bonus
Quote from NovaK :It would be cool if someone made a thread to study how people of this community stands to LFS today. Where the people sign up and provide necessary information in a Poll. And can be presented in a diagram/dialog, where you will be able to see (for an example): how many that still trust and belive in LFS, or has thought about of moving to another racing game equivalent to LFS (released or not), or have stopped entirely with LFS due to lacking of updates and promises that just has been putted on hold..

With this the developers can easily see statistics of how the community stands. And hopefully something good will come out from it. It is optional of what questions or information you wish to add into this, i just brought up an example.

How would you make that to be reliable, though? By definition, people that come on this forum will be more inclined to stick to LFS because we know that they at least have the will to seek information about LFS' development. Some people will never have been and never will be on the forums, their opinion would not be counted in a forum thread. Also, some people have been on the forums previously, but will not come back, causing their opinion to be left out as well (though I guess that you could look at forum users with a certain number of posts who haven't logged in for a long time). If you made a forum poll, I think it would show a positive opinion about LFS' development, possibly even in an overwhelming manner, which might not reflect the player pool as a whole.
This is my first posts on this forum, and I bought my license a week ago, and my opinion is simple, I have friends who love live for speed but not the comprao simply due to lack of any update or something new, and I bet if the creators lancacem something new all those people who are Standing behind the purchase of license would think again and buy without any doubt, but as we all know there is no noticais by this progress and the game will lose more and more players, All we miss the time they left the impression that updates , Please give Your opinion guys
No surprise really to see nothing has really changed, other than seeing more optimistic and loyal users of a few years ago, now seriously questioning LFS and it's future. Reading through a handful of threads, it's soooo frustrating to see Scawen respond within a few weeks of a hack with a significant netcode update, yet we can't get one single content update in 4+ years, let alone a tiny progress report. We see more dev interaction with nuisance hackers than the community as a whole.

Not much more can be said on the content front, that hasn't already, without provoking the wrath of Eric (been there).

It really is hard to comprehend the logic being applied. They're cutting off the nose to spite the face.

As a follower from the very early RSC day, it's been interesting to follow this indy development experiment. The dev's philosophy, motivations and engagement were refreshing and attracted many follows, but it's clear over the long term it hasn't been the success many hoped for. For whatever reasons (for lack of interest/motivation/time/money or technical difficulties) it would seem serious LFS development has been abandoned and now it's in a maintenance cycle.

Nothing it seems will divert this certain course. Not even years of community pleas and declining interest (and probably license revenue).

The devs clearly missed the boat. The once active and thriving racing community have left for greener pastures and LFS is unfortunately remembered for it's failure to evolve, rather than it's (earlier/promised) successes.
Quote from Macfox :No surprise really to see nothing has really changed, other than seeing more optimistic and loyal users of a few years ago, now seriously questioning LFS and it's future. Reading through a handful of threads, it's soooo frustrating to see Scawen respond within a few weeks of a hack with a significant netcode update, yet we can't get one single content update in 4+ years, let alone a tiny progress report. We see more dev interaction with nuisance hackers than the community as a whole.

Not much more can be said on the content front, that hasn't already, without provoking the wrath of Eric (been there).

It really is hard to comprehend the logic being applied. They're cutting off the nose to spite the face.

As a follower from the very early RSC day, it's been interesting to follow this indy development experiment. The dev's philosophy, motivations and engagement were refreshing and attracted many follows, but it's clear over the long term it hasn't been the success many hoped for. For whatever reasons (for lack of interest/motivation/time/money or technical difficulties) it would seem serious LFS development has been abandoned and now it's in a maintenance cycle.

Nothing it seems will divert this certain course. Not even years of community pleas and declining interest (and probably license revenue).

The devs clearly missed the boat. The once active and thriving racing community have left for greener pastures and LFS is unfortunately remembered for it's failure to evolve, rather than it's (earlier/promised) successes.

exactly, it was revealed that since 2008 the VW in 2012 we are now close to 2013, and nothing fantastic news, this community needs something new and interesting for grown up, so that more people know of this project, but I really do not know why they buy the license if I see that so fast will not be news and mostly interesting stuff, really liked that the developers saw the reviews on current users do something new, which really goes a new track and new cars you need developers see that news and bring community news brings money and motivation
@Macfox - I think that much of what you said is fair enough. Except for this bit:

Quote :it would seem serious LFS development has been abandoned and now it's in a maintenance cycle.

By saying this, you're asserting that Scawen is blatantly lying to us by saying that he is still developing the game, when really, he's really just maintaining it (presumably to squeeze out a few more license sales).

While it may be reasonable to view LFS as a failed project after such a long time without updates (though I don't necessarily hold this opinion), I totally disagree that Scawen is a sinister and deceitful character.

Updates will come, but god knows when...

[Merged] Discussion regarding LFS development
(1577 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG