The online racing simulator
Quote from scoobyrbac :It's been almost a year since I've been on the forums and there has been no game updates? Pathetic.

You missed patch 0.6B then.
"For those who were wondering, yes, this is our full time job, LFS sales make enough money to keep us going while we work on the improvements. From a "pure capitalist" point of view there are certainly ways to make money more quickly, but our aim is a little different - to make the best simulator we can in a sustainable way, and we're doing that the only way we know how - to study, experiment and implement, however long it takes. " SCAWEN if we need to wait we wait thats all
It's great news, and very interesting to learn that all 3 devs are still working on LFS as their full time job.

However this fact makes it more perplexing that relatively minor graphical improvements (like higher res interiors) haven't been released after all this time. There must be a reason for this.
Perhaps there are bigger changes being worked on, like a complete overhaul of the graphics engine, that will be released along with the new interiors?
Quote from Flame CZE :You missed patch 0.6B then.

Which is why I said almost a year.

Those updates could have been done in a months time. What's been done the rest of the time? What happened to Rockingham and the Scirocco? That car is going to be a thing of the past by time its released for us to use.
The Rockingham and VWS have been done (afaik) for quite some time. You could drive the FOX at Rockingham at track-side Rockingham, UK, since September 2009.

The reason for the delay in releasing both, as those you actually do read Scawen's posts already know, is, I quote,
Quote :Remember it was the Scirocco that showed up the issues in the tyre physics (there were already known tyre physics issues but we couldn't get the Scirocco to drive as safely as a real one does while restricting ourselves to a realistic setup). So, releasing the Scirocco has been out of the question until the tyre physics system is quite close to reality.

Releasing Rockingham has also been out of the question. We want to release a real track when the behaviour of the cars is right (not perfect, just close enough so the bumps feel right and the lap times are just like real ones).

The downside is that for a while they've been expecting that the tyre would be "finished", so that they could release S3. Eric is supposedly working on more S3 content, as opposed to S1/S2 content updates. No one really knows how long it would take Scawen to re-do the tyre physics.

Hopefully that time would be mere months rather than years. And by the sound of thing, the devs are working full time on LFS. So we might be able to expect far more S3 content than announced so far...

If the devs do read these posts, please consider what was suggested here.
Scawen's last post rekindled that little flame inside me thatade me buy LFS so many years ago.

I genuinely think that Scawen's work will pay off in the very long run and that we may be on the verge of receiving a truly stunning simulator.
Quote from Rappa Z :I genuinely think that Scawen's work will pay off in the very long run and that we may be on the verge of receiving a truly stunning simulator.

I share these thoughts.

Just wish that the devs would share their ideas and experiences a bit more - Eric in particular - so that we could go along for the ride with them, so to speak.

They shouldn't worry about the small minority of vocal haters venting their spleens. This is the internet, after all. Most of the community understand this, and factor it.

First I thought this project was dead or something, but I'm happy to read this. I don't mind waiting. We will be playing this for years. If they release too soon we might stop playing it. So they make the right choice.
Quote from Spacid :...If they release too soon we might stop playing it.

Would you care to explain this theory in detail please
#236 - col
Quote from Hoshimodo :Would you care to explain this theory in detail please

I think he means, if the devs cave in to community pressure and release if before it's ready, it won't be as good and won't have the same lasting appeal.
So he thinks they should ignore all the whiners and haters and take however long it takes to get it right. Then it will be so good that we'll still be here 10 years after that waiting for the next update.

I agree with him.
I allways wonder what may cause a 3 year delay. But when I think of my studies at the university (I have finished my studies successfully 1999), I have to state, that the question might even be, what may cause a 6 years delay:

Well, besides those reasons, that have a human name (Susi, Ulrike, Maya, and many more) there have also been some journeys to Afrika (5) and a little change in the plan what acctually should be studied (economics-publicistic-philosophy-art) I finally ended up with art with a main spotlight on philosophy in terms of subjects.

IF LFS would have existed then, I would for shure still study...

What was delaying the Scirocco for You Scawen?

Dandy
Quote from Dandy Dust :I allways wonder what may cause a 3 year delay.
What was delaying the Scirocco for You Scawen?

Well you should've knew the reason from 2009 August 21st, when the new tyre physics were announced.

Quote from lfs.net Aug 21st 2009 20:30 :Many community members have been wondering what happened to the release of the new VW Scirocco and why there was no news about it.
Here are the reasons why :

While we were working on the Scirocco in December, we found that we could not make the LFS model handle as well as the real car. One of the reasons for this was that the LFS tyres had too much grip and this was causing the inside wheels to lose too much load while cornering. But simply reducing the grip would not have been a good approach... the result would have been just the same old LFS but at lower speeds.

Quote from Scawen :For those who were wondering, yes, this is our full time job

MouHAHAHahaha

really…
What Gives Devs?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... FtBd0&feature=related

Oct, 2011. That is LFS on Rockingham they are playing AT the real Rockingham track.

So the Rockingham track is good enough to be used for simulators at the real track, but the license holders like us who helped fund and make this possible still can't have the track?

Shady business.
It's been "ready" since 2009.
We should have this track already. Once the physics is released all the WR's will be reset anyway, why can't we have it now to practice on until the new physics is completed???
Strategically they made the worst move ever with the rockingham @ rockingham. WE are the people who pay for playing, we are the people who would give the kind of feedback where the devs want and what the devs want, but now all we got is some screenshots and some random people driving at the new track for a couple of minutes, while we just drool. It just makes me want to think that the devs just dont know what there doing marketing wise. treating your customers like s**t, posting the same update report from '09. if there wouldve been any other updates to LFS, why not release them without the new physics? This makes me feel nothing else hase been done... BUT WHO KNOWS It just doesnt make sense to me, oh and the Scirocco? Seems like nobody even cares about it anymore because its been so long.. Im starting to hope that they give up on the project and just sell it to a team of people who just keep the physics and change everything else and actually give us updates on whats going on.
Quote from Danas :Strategically they made the worst move ever with the rockingham @ rockingham. WE are the people who pay for playing, we are the people who would give the kind of feedback where the devs want and what the devs want, but know all we got is some screenshots and some random people driving at the new track for a couple of minutes, while we just drool. It just makes me want to think that the devs just dont know what there doing marketing wise. treating your customers like s**t, posting the same update report from '09. if there wouldve been any other updates to LFS, why not release them without the new physics? This makes me feel nothing else hase been done... BUT WHO KNOWS It just doesnt make sense to me. Im starting to hope that they give up on the project and just sell it to a team of people who just keep the physics and change everything else and actually give us updates on whats going on.

very much this
Quote from Danas :*snip

the devs just dont know what there doing marketing wise. treating your customers like s**t..

i agree with this quote 100%.. I dont think they want to waste their time releasing updates when there isnt much activity anymore. I dont think they get that if they do release one, many more will return.

They dont even take the time to mix it up and muddle in with the people that are dedicated and keep their sim going, even though its outdated. They post progress reports, ban people from forums and lock threads.

If you sum everything up, its an abomination.. but hey, LFS is still a great sim because of the freedom we are given.
Quote from Danas :Strategically they made the worst move ever with the rockingham @ rockingham. WE are the people who pay for playing, we are the people who would give the kind of feedback where the devs want and what the devs want, but know all we got is some screenshots and some random people driving at the new track for a couple of minutes, while we just drool. It just makes me want to think that the devs just dont know what there doing marketing wise. treating your customers like s**t, posting the same update report from '09. if there wouldve been any other updates to LFS, why not release them without the new physics? This makes me feel nothing else hase been done... BUT WHO KNOWS It just doesnt make sense to me, oh and the Scirocco? Seems like nobody even cares about it anymore because its been so long.. Im starting to hope that they give up on the project and just sell it to a team of people who just keep the physics and change everything else and actually give us updates on whats going on.

agreed! Marketing wise they seem to hide under a big rock...
I think what most people want are some news every 2 weeks or so...and some pictures now and again...(I hope the devs read this.)
-
(Danas) DELETED by Danas
Quote from xtraction :i agree with this quote 100%.. I dont think they want to waste their time releasing updates when there isnt much activity anymore. I dont think they get that if they do release one, many more will return.

They dont even take the time to mix it up and muddle in with the people that are dedicated and keep their sim going, even though its outdated. They post progress reports, ban people from forums and lock threads.

If you sum everything up, its an abomination.. but hey, LFS is still a great sim because of the freedom we are given.

110% Agree with you.
-
(PioneerLv) DELETED by PioneerLv

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG