The online racing simulator
In an ideal world...
*WARNING* This post is pure speculation and contains very little if any valid information. Do not take anything I say as fact. *WARNING*

So I was thinking about professional racing simulators the other day and I had this thought.

At one point (a long time ago) the devs told us that they had made LFS a full time job. Back then simple maths said that license sales were enough to survive off of, but the devs weren't sitting on gold toilets. Even the most optimistic estimates were a modest living.

Nowadays, with the LFS community having slowed down a lot, I find it hard to imagine that there are enough licenses being sold to keep 3 devs working solely on LFS. This means that the devs have either returned to the real world, making LFS a side project again, or have found another source of income using LFS. I imagine that the situation varies for each of the three devs, but they have more or less followed one of these paths.

Now I speculate more to formulate my point. Remember, this is pure speculation.

While we have been told that top tier motor sport teams can build multi-million dollar simulators from the ground up, I imagine that teams in lower level series (and maybe even some of the budget restrained top tier teams) can not afford this. Instead, these teams have to find a cheap source of a relatively good driving simulator. It doesn't even have to be that excellent, as sim/real racers know that even with the best simulators you never get to learn the nitty-gritty of the track/car. I specifically remember David Coulthard saying that he could learn more about a track through two laps on his moped than with 50 laps in the simulator or something like that. And that was on one of those top tier simulators.

That said, what do the devs have? A pretty cheap racing simulator that does a relatively good job of representing real life. That's exactly what a lot of racing teams need!

I'm sue you see where I'm going with this, but I want to push you a little bit more because chances are I'm not going to respond to anyone refuting my claims. Remember though, it's all speculation.

So Scawen's been very busy with tyre physics for three years? I'm sure he's working very hard on it but I imagine he's working on other stuff too. Either he's gotten a real job or.... he's been contacted by race teams who want relatively cheap simulators!

Yes, it's a stretch, but I think it works to a certain extent. Scawen has a decent simulator that he'll dish out for a fair amount (a decent amount to him and savings over a custom sim for the teams). Yes they could just buy S2 licenses and practice, but then they would only have fake cars and tracks. In my imagination Scawen provides the teams with tech support to get their cars in the game (they give him info on cars and tracks they need and he puts them into their own very special version of LFS for their simulator) and maybe even tweaks the physics a bit so that they work especially well with the cars in the sim.

So why haven't we heard about this? Once again, I speculate, and believe that teams don't want to give up their secret. Here's a chance to save a bit of money, train your drivers a bit more and work on some very basic setup mechanics. Not a very big advantage, but nonetheless an advantage. We all know just how close racing can get! We also don't hear about it on the devs end because, besides (probably) being contractually obligated to keep silent, they may have imported real cars and tracks that aren't licensed for commercial use.

The devs have hid stuff from us before, so is it hard to imagine that they haven't been doing a lot of behind the scenes work for other people?

Take it all in. I'd love to hear some replies, but I'm not sure I'll reply back. Especially if this turns into a retarded flame war over a post that was essentially about nothing. No need to be confrontational, would just like a simple discussion.
I think the same way rappa z..
I don't understand such a policy. Better Scawen sold the old physics of march 2005(limited version) new simulator to those of its refining. It's still a small income to support LFS.
#205 - col
Quote from Kristi :Well, all of you guys are so bored of LFS. I just see what we lost with CTRA drawing out from the game. It gave everyday racing a new meaning Missing it a lot still. Imo, it would get a lot of people back to LFS. Too bad some of these newcomers will never know how good it was.

Agreed. CTRA was fantastic, it took the game to a new level. LFS needs something similar again. It's not likely to happen though, LFS is so niché that I doubt anyone could make enough money from a CTRA style venture to make it worthwhile long term. Too much time and effort to do it for free - particularly with all the whiners and moaners that there are in LFS.
Of the Vw whould be here as a Xmas present you cant use it, is restricted to S1 and S2 users. unless of course you ........

-
(hyntty) DELETED by hyntty : I don't want to be in this stupid thread
me too i don't care about physics, LFS is best simulator even without it

edit: seems Flame got a lot job around here on Christmas eve
Quote from Girodb :Nooo!

I buy lfs S2 after the realase of VWS :weeping:

So you want to buy S2 just for the VWS? Buy S1 then
Quote from Girodb :No bad :lol: , but the vws, intégrated to lfs in 2020?

Noone knows but it's most likely to be added after the release of the new tyre physics.
after halo occurs most likely
if u guys wanna scirrocco go and find some old installation where it is... :I
Quote from teppo.jr :if u guys wanna scirrocco go and find some hack or old installation where it is... :I

hack?
Quote from teppo.jr :wops öööööööö... deleted the h-word XD

its ok for h-word, but I still don't get "old installation where it is"
Scirocco already been released?
Quote from DANIEL-CRO :its ok for h-word, but I still don't get "old installation where it is"
Scirocco already been released?

In Z34, demo version, or was it Z24 or Z26?
Quote from rockclan :In Z34, demo version, or was it Z24 or Z26?

Z34 was released this year, so probably some older
link please i searched trought all test patches, unable to find it
Calm down, the VW Scirocco was not released in any of the test patches.
Quote from Flame CZE :Calm down, the VW Scirocco was not released in any of the test patches.

It was you were mistaken it was a test patch Z24 i think!!!
Quote from DANIEL-CRO :...

google lfs scirocco and you should find somewhere the old patch where it was... i dont know witch it was called
I only ask you to improve artificial intelligence. I like to play off line and is a very bad experience for me.
Quote from kamikace :I only ask you to improve artificial intelligence. I like to play off line and is a very bad experience for me.

its harder than it seems... so go and drive online... i know many of demo users are jerk's but you get better racing there
From what I remember what Scawen said, the improvements to AI drivers have been already made, but only for the new tyre physics.
Quote from Flame CZE :From what I remember what Scawen said, the improvements to AI drivers have been already made, but only for the new tyre physics.

made em faster... etiquette still bad ... if i remember right
It's been almost a year since I've been on the forums and there has been no game updates? Pathetic.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG