The online racing simulator
-
((The Stig)) DELETED by (The Stig)
IT'S GETTING CLOSER
16,17,18 March 2012
Petrov replaces Trulli at Caterham for 2012

Caterham have announced that Vitaly Petrov will race for the team in 2012, replacing Jarno Trulli with immediate effect. Petrov attended a seat fitting at their UK factory in Hingham on Friday morning and will make his debut in the CT01 at next week’s second pre-season test at Barcelona’s Circuit de Catalunya, alongside new team mate Heikki Kovalainen.

“This is a very exciting day for me,” said the Russian. “I would like to thank Tony (Fernandes), Kamarudin Meranun and SM Nasarudin for giving me the chance to join a team that made its F1 debut at the same time as me, and has grown from one of the new teams to a serious force for future honours. The passion and spirit that Tony and the whole team have to keep moving forwards is infectious, and I am honoured to be able to join them and play my part in helping the team mount a serious challenge to the teams ahead in 2012 and for many seasons to come.

“I have been training hard all winter and am ready to get back into the cockpit and go to work. From what I have seen already, our new car is another good step forward from 2011 and now I cannot wait to see how it feels when we get to Barcelona. I would also like to take this chance to thank all my fans and partners for their support and their patience.”

Petrov began his Formula One race career with Renault in 2010 and finished 10th in the 2011 championship, after securing a podium finish in Australia. He was runner-up in the 2009 GP2 Series after spells in GP2 Asia, F3000, Formula Master and the Le Mans Series.

“We are all delighted to welcome Vitaly into our team and are very excited about the role he will play in helping us take the next steps forward in 2012 and for many years to come,” said team principal Tony Fernandes. “When we first met it was immediately clear that Vitaly understands and shares our vision for how we want our team to grow. As the first Russian to race in F1 he carries the hopes of a huge nation with ease and his talents, experience with one of our current competitors and insights on and off track will play a huge role in our development as we fight to join the established teams ahead.”

Petrov’s new role means that Trulli will leave for pastures new after two years with the team and Fernandes paid tribute to the departing 37 year-old, saying: “I want to take this opportunity to thank Jarno for the absolutely pivotal role he played in the formation and progression of our team since he joined us in December 2009. Jarno knew that when he joined us it would be a very different environment to where he had been before, and when we gave him the package he wanted he absolutely shone.

“With that in mind it was not an easy decision to bring Vitaly in to replace Jarno, but it was one we made to ensure that we give fresh impetus across the whole team and with a realistic eye on the global economic market. Jarno has an incredible natural talent behind the wheel, and his winning record and longevity in the sport will bear testament to that talent in the Formula One annals forever, but now it is time to open a new chapter in our team’s story, and Vitaly is the right person to help us do that.

“We have reached agreement with Jarno to bring an end to our partnership with him, but he will always be part of our family. Now we want to integrate Vitaly as quickly as possible into the team, and we will do everything we can to welcome him in, give him a car he can use to showcase his skills, and keep up the rate of development that has seen us go from an empty factory with just four employees to a fully established Formula One team in just over two years.”

Trulli, who drove for the team at last week’s Jerez test, was equally philosophical. “I want to take this chance to thank Tony, Kamarudin, SM Nasarudin, Riad (Asmat), Mike (Gascoyne) and everyone in the team for the two seasons we had together,” he said. “From zero we built up and established a solid F1 team. I'm really proud to have been part of it. I understand the decision the team has made and I want to wish to the whole team the very best of luck for the season ahead.”

The Italian began his Formula One career in 1997 with Minardi and over the next 15 years held tenures at Prost, Jordan, Renault, Toyota and Lotus, which was rebranded as Caterham for 2012. Trulli famously won the 2004 Monaco Grand Prix for Renault, but also amassed 10 podium finishes and 246.5 world championship points.
Did you write that yourself George?
For those who want to look a bit deeper into area's around F1, this is a fantastic source that I have been reading from recently.
Quote from boothy :Did you write that yourself George?

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2012/2/13023.html

---
Replacing Trulli sounds like a good move. I'd have taken Sutil, one of the str guys or barrichelo but petrov is not bad either. Better than the likes of chandhoks and karthikeyan. Definitely beats unmotivated trulli. Plus with Petrov we now have a good yardstick for Kovalainen. If petrov can match Kovalainen then we know Heikki is only as good as petrov. Which is not much... If Heikki beats more experienced petrov then we can start making awkward comparisons to one polish driver

Still makes me absolutely baffled why gatorham even signed Trulli last year when so many good drivers were looking for rides. It's not that trulli was going anywhere.
I needed a second look to determine whether maybe the aspect ratio was wrong...
Quote from ATHome :Well you're going to be in for a suprise. Every F1 cars nearly sounds the same.

True, but on our F1 tv broadcasts we hear very little of the real sound or the impact it has. While in that video you really hear only the sound and the wind.
Quote from Hyperactive :If Heikki beats more experienced petrov then we can start making awkward comparisons to one polish driver

How on Earth is Petrov more experienced than Heikki? Heikki started racing in F1 in 2007, with 2 years of testing experience before that. Petrov started in 2010.

We already have a pretty good measure of Heikki anyway. He got trashed by Hamilton at McLaren, but he proved himself by beating Fisichella in his debut season. We know that Fisichella was a stronger driver than Sato (2002) and Massa (2004), but that he was soundly beaten by Alonso (2005-2006). We also know that the then-inexperienced Massa eventually developed into a driver who was able to chase Schumacher more closely than Fisichella was able to chase Alonso in 2006. I'd hazard a semi-educated guess that Heikki is similar to Barrichello, Webber, or Heidfeld at their respective peaks: so probably 4-star driver in a scale of 5.

If that analysis is reasonably accurate, then Petrov could establish himself as a probable star if he can consistently beat Heikki. If he can't manage to do that, then he'll forever be relegated to journeyman status.
Quote from samjh :How on Earth is Petrov more experienced than Heikki? Heikki started racing in F1 in 2007, with 2 years of testing experience before that. Petrov started in 2010.

I have to admit I have no idea why I wrote that

As for Heikki I don't (want to) think it is that simple. Heikki himself has said that after the mclaren years he has changed a lot about how he does things in F1. With trulli it is hard to say whether trulli just lost it in 2011 or Heikki improved his game because in 2010 was a lot closer. Petrov should give us a better yardstick and at least show if Heikki has indeed improved or not.

---
New merc: http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/201 ... fficially-revealed-spain/
A little unfair to say Heikki was trashed by Hamilton. He was on the end of some fairly punitive tactical decisions, if memory serves.
Quote from Storm_Cloud :A little unfair to say Heikki was trashed by Hamilton. He was on the end of some fairly punitive tactical decisions, if memory serves.

No, he got left for dead in 2009.
-
(Storm_Cloud) DELETED by Storm_Cloud
Quote :His run coincided with Hamilton's, with the pair at one point the only two on track and separated by less than a second – Vettel eventually working his way past after spending several laps tucked up behind the MP4-27.

Source: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97631

Nothing can be said entirely from these tests, but by the looks of it we have Red Bull and McLaren being ready, Ferrari still a tiny bit behind and a very close midfield with a strong Force India (boy, where is Minardi in that one gone to?! ) Mercedes GP and Lotus. Personally I hope Shumacher gets some wins one more time and I really want Force India to get podium places too, I admire how they worked themselves up and keep doing properly (without the heavy recruiting like Ferrari, the mastertalent in Red Bull, ...).
Sauber might be strong too. Still too early to say.
Quote from GianniC :Force India (boy, where is Minardi in that one gone to?!

What? Force India = Jordan. Toro Rosso = Minardi
Quote from IsaacPrice :What? Force India = Jordan. Toro Rosso = Minardi

I was about to say that.

Oh, and just to add: Red Bull = Jaguar = Ford = Stewart

EDIT:

Yesterday's timing results:
Pos Driver Team Time Laps
1. Hulkenberg Force India 1m22.608s 112
2. Perez Sauber 1m22.648s +0.040 85
3. Vettel Red Bull 1m22.891s +0.283 104
4. Alonso Ferrari 1m23.180s +0.572 87
5. Ricciardo Toro Rosso 1m23.639s +1.031 48
6. Hamilton McLaren 1m23.806s +1.198 121
7. Rosberg Mercedes 1m24.555s +1.947 82
8. Bottas Williams 1m25.738s +3.130 117
9. Petrov Caterham 1m26.605s +3.997 69
10. Pic Marussia 1m27.343s +4.735 108

Hulkenberg and Perez set their times on super softs. Vettel was on softs, and I think Alonso and Hamilton were as well.
Quote from samjh :I was about to say that.

Oh, and just to add: Red Bull = Jaguar = Ford = Stewart

Mercedes = Honda = BAR = Tyrrell
And of course, Lotus = (the great) RENAULT = Benetton = Toleman.
Ferrari = Ferrari = Ferrari = Ferrari

Mclaren = Ferrari

/runs
Nice summary, maybe not as good as last year but I liked it. I like how they manage to pick perfect music year

Formula One Season 2012
(1268 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG