The online racing simulator
Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
Right, fellow car people, if you were in my situation, what would you do?

I have 2 cars at the moment, my sensible E46 diesel, and my mk1 lowered and diff welded mx5.

The mot and tax have nearly run out on the maz, and space is not an issue, i have 3 options.

Sell the MX-5.

Keep it but leave it un taxed and MOT'ed and keep it purely as a skidder, it already has the right sort of diff, plus i have norfolk arena less than an hour away and santa pod is barely 2 hours, 2 good drifting venues fairly local.

Im really not sure what to do, i know its probably sounds weird, but imagining or seeing anyone else behind the wheel of the '5 fills me with dread, coz it really is my pride and joy, the E46 makes sense, more seats and better MPG, but i still love the mental mazda, i really dont know what to do.
get rid of both and buy an M3,for example mine
Quote from e2mustang :get rid of both and buy an M3,for example mine

or do as most do and buy a 316/318 shell and dump the biggest lump in possible...

think about maintenance/repair bills later :letrollface:
Quote from BigPeBe :I guess the reason why we have different opinions about the Audi is just a matter of what kind of performance we might want from a car called sleeper. I happen to know that many stock Audis have a, might I say, decent performance, so just under 8 seconds from 0 to 100 (or 62) isn't sleeper in my mind. I guess it's a little on the sleeperish side tho, it has a performance what would be really enjoyable for a daily driver.

I guess I might have even thought different some time ago but after owning and driving a much faster car (a sleeper type of car actually) it has changed my expectations for performance.

Indeed the term Sleeper is respective to the individual. If you're expecting it then it's sleeperism didn't work on you.
Dan.

Imo, if you can't bare selling it then I would SORN it and spend the next few months upto summer giving the car some love.

Change the diff for something more road friendly. Tart up any paint or bodywork issues. Give the interior an overhaul and fit some nice upgrades like a stereo/carbon fibre trim. Destroy them horrible 5 spokes and get some OEM MX-5 wheels. Give it a damn good service.

When thats all done, you will end up with a lovely MX-5 to cruise round in on lovely summer weekends. Don't use it as a drifter!!
Quote from pb32000 :~£1K/year

Edit: for reference the S2000 would be ~£1800/year.

Me neither, but driving one converted me

That's not too bad, but it all depends on where you live I guess. If I lived in Cornwall my car insurance would be way cheaper than it is now..
Quote from theirishnoob :or do as most do and buy a 316/318 shell and dump the biggest lump in possible...

think about maintenance/repair bills later :letrollface:

its easyer and less costly to buy at least a 325 i and put an m3 engine.
Quote from e2mustang :its easyer and less costly to buy at least a 325 i and put an m3 engine.

Try not to pay attention to him. He likes to think he knows a lot about cars and what not, but he really doesn't. It's a scary thought to think that since moving, I now live on the same soil as him. O_O

He's kinda like a big zit on your back. As painful as it may be to put up with, you just have to grin and bare it. Eventually it goes away.
Or just buy an M3? They aren't that expensive in the UK these days and don't give the hassle of the whole swap..
Yeah they are cheap indeed,but the fun of it making it yourself + at the end is priceless
Quote from Scrabby :Or just buy an M3? They aren't that expensive in the UK these days and don't give the hassle of the whole swap..

Depends what you want from it. You can buy a rough one for £2k or so, but then you have the potential of big bills if something goes wrong, plus they could also be high mileage. I do agree though. If you want an M3, just buy one. There are many more cosmetical/mechanical differences between a M3 and a 316i than the engine!

I payed £7250 for my Evo 2 convertible. For that kind of money, you are at the upper scales of the market. Sure enough, mine was a minter. Estroril blue, 65000 miles with full BMW service history. Never let me down during the 2 years and 8000 miles or so I had it, and the only fault was a missing air duct on the front bumper. Also had to have minor paintwork done thanks to my (now ex...) girlfriend reversing it into another car. All it requested was fuel, and regular servicing.

Loved that car. Will quite happily get another, although only a manual. The SMG models are crap.
NATHALIE IS GONE?

True, the M3 is uncomparable to any other E36 series.. imo.
I payed my crashed M3 touring 2350£

Engine alone here costs 3000€ so i was off good
Yes, she (I assume you mean Natalie? ) is gone. She said that she wanted to move to Ireland with me, but changed her mind at the last second. It was a shame as we were together a long time, but I was more annoyed at the fact that all her stuff was already in Ireland, so I had to spend the first couple of weeks finding her stuff and sending it back...Damn women!

Yeah I remember when you bought that M3. It was a bargain!
Washed the lady a bit. Cant wait to put the summer tires back on
Attached images
IMG_0254.JPG
Style 45 rims are on, not a major upgrade as they are only an inch bigger, but i reckon it looks SO much better on 16's.

Car needs moar low, and needs some wide (9j or more) 17 or 18" BBS lm's
In my opinion the car is low enough for everyday driving.
If you drive offroad then yes
Haha Was before it got lowered and i hated that height!

At least my jetta has proper low
Quote from G!NhO :Car needs moar low, and needs some wide (9j or more) 17 or 18" BBS lm's

I want MV1's, but they arent cheap, and nor are the tyres, ideally want to get the coilovers when i get paid, then after that it has to be the m tech 2 front bumper.
Quote from G!NhO :Car needs moar low, and needs some wide (9j or more) 17 or 18" BBS lm's

completely agree, should look something like this, though it's wrong angle to see the lowness:

took her out in the wet today...on/off ramps are a blast
This thread is closed

Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG