The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Quote from BlueFlame :What HAVE they done in the past? A few rFactor mods?

Same team that did Shift 2 IIRC, and many of the same guys involved in Race, GTR, GTL. Many of them came from Blimey! Games, which itself came from Simbin.
Quote from MAGGOT :Same team that did Shift 2 IIRC, and many of the same guys involved in Race, GTR, GTL. Many of them came from Blimey! Games, which itself came from Simbin.

Didn't they do a really poor mod for rfactor though?
Quote from BlueFlame :Didn't they do a really poor mod for rfactor though?

I wasn't much a fan of the mod itself, but it was the most popular mod for rF for a while I believe. Of course, I wasn't much a fan of rF in general anyways.
Simbin started out with GT Racing 2002 for F1 2002 btw
Quote from BlueFlame :Didn't they do a really poor mod for rfactor though?

"let's ignore their later, better work; what's more important is that one time they made a bad thing"
Quote from ChiliFan :"let's ignore their later, better work; what's more important is that one time they made a bad thing"

Well a fitting analogy would be.

"They couldn't colour inside the lines in a kids colouring book, but now they will attempt to re-create Van Gogh sunflowers"

It's the same reason I won't buy Forza 4, it's the same reason why I subbed to iRacing (because GPL was/is so ****ing good).

If you just go around giving people benefit of the doubt that things can only get better, you'll be out of pocket. The only thing you can do is judge things (and people for that matter) on the things they've previously done regarding your own personal encounter experiences.
Quote from BlueFlame :
If you just go around giving people benefit of the doubt that things can only get better, you'll be out of pocket.

Which is why I didn't renew my iRacing subscription.
Quote from Gills4life :Which is why I didn't renew my iRacing subscription.

Each to their own, but the logic is fool proof for personal happiness.
Quote from BlueFlame :Each to their own, but the logic is fool proof for personal happiness.

But your logic seems to be not to waste money on people/companies who have failed in the past. iRacing has had many failings but you've still thrown your money at them based on the fact that GPL was great for it's time.

It's the same reason I invested in C.A.R.S, because despite them maybe failing in the past, what they have to offer now is impressive and has a lot of potential. I want to see how it develops and enjoy the progress!
Quote from Gills4life :But your logic seems to be not to waste money on people/companies who have failed in the past. iRacing has had many failings but you've still thrown your money at them based on the fact that GPL was great for it's time.

GPL is still great even now.

iRacing haven't failed ME personally. The theory is not, don't waste money on people who have failed, it's don't waste money on people who have failed YOU. If you judge everything on other peoples opinions you won't find solace, you have to go your own way.

It's like BT or Steam, thousands of people have serious problems with them but MILLIONS don't. You just have to try it out for yourself, after all, the most convincing proof of anything is your own.
Quote from BlueFlame :iRacing haven't failed ME personally.

CARS hasn't either, unless you have tried it (going by your own logic).

BTW, you should start saying iRacing hasn't failed me yet. Yet being the keyword.
Quote from PMD9409 :CARS hasn't either, unless you have tried it (going by your own logic).

BTW, you should start saying iRacing hasn't failed me yet. Yet being the keyword.

Something can only fail if it had an objective in the first place, if a person never sets something an objective, it can never fail them.
Objective: Rip your wallet
Failed?: No
Quote from cargame.nl :Objective: Rip your wallet
Failed?: No

Only if I set that objective. You can't set an objective for someone else.
Their objective was to become the best racing simulation on the market. In 4 years of rewriting code they didn't even bother to update their physics model to atleast include a brush model for the tires. Instead they kept a spreadsheet style model that seemed worse than NR2003 to release their sim with. And after now 7 years of development, they don't have something as essential as a transmission model.

People are actually fine with calling iRacing a "game", and sometimes just call it "entertainment software". That's the mentality of people you will be racing against in a so-called sim, so just be prepared and don't set your goals high at all.

And don't be stupid and open your wallet too soon.
I know two people who have tried iracing and quit because there are just too many 13 year old kids who act their age when racing.

Have you guys seen that video of the wdc driver using the lag switch?
Quote from PMD9409 :Their objective was to become the best racing simulation on the market. In 4 years of rewriting code they didn't even bother to update their physics model to atleast include a brush model for the tires. Instead they kept a spreadsheet style model that seemed worse than NR2003 to release their sim with. And after now 7 years of development, they don't have something as essential as a transmission model.

People are actually fine with calling iRacing a "game", and sometimes just call it "entertainment software". That's the mentality of people you will be racing against in a so-called sim, so just be prepared and don't set your goals high at all.

And don't be stupid and open your wallet too soon.

There's many parallels with this and other software..

I've had only fun on iracing, close, clean racing but people on LFS forget, most of the people on LFS race in leagues on LFS, most of the people on iRacing only join public sessions expecting everyone to be clean.

Things are what they are, can't expect anything else.
lol i don't see that as cheating though as he didn't gain anything. Plus he did everyone behind him a favour.

Anyway with the November build coming up, could someone post up whats supposed to be included. Have they finished driver swaps? Any cool new features? How many features have they promised & NOT delivered?
I think he would have lost several positions if he had crashed into the spinning car.
Quote from anttt69 :lol i don't see that as cheating though as he didn't gain anything. Plus he did everyone behind him a favour.

It's touch and go really, he didn't do it with other people in mind, only himself. You'd argue he was SUPPOSED to crash into them, but you'd also argue it wasn't his fault.
Quote from iRacing :Week 13 is here. With 2011 Season 3 in the rear view mirrors and the fierce competition of Season 4 just over the horizon, call the coming seven days and 168 hours of sim racing the fun before the storm.

“Officially” speaking, we have the Week 13 Street Stock Challenge and the Week 13 Legends Road Series, along with the iRacing.com Gymkhana Challenge. The Week 13 Street Stock Challenge runs a Thompson, South Boston, Lanier, Oxford Plans and Charlotte Motor Speedway (both the quarter mile Legends oval and the 1.5 mile speedway) while the Legends Road Series visits Lime Rock, Summit Point and Okayama International Circuit. In contrast, the Gymkhana Challenge features just one track – the infield road course at Iowa Speedway – but three different cars in the Pontiac Solstice, Mazda MX-5 Cup and Spec Racer Ford.

The Street Stock Challenge and Legends Road Series are official series, so Safety Ratings and iRatings apply and competitors have a final chance to increase their license ratings before the official license promotions for Season 4 are finalized at week’s end. Likewise, rookies who have yet to complete the category-specific minimum participation requirements for graduation to a D license (two official races or four time trials in each category) have one last chance to do so in Week 13.

The Gymkhana Challenge, on the other hand, is not wheel-to-wheel competition so the only thing at risk at is your safety rating . . . and pride! But the winner in each class takes home a championship and 50 iRacing credits.

“Unofficially” speaking, we are once again serving-up the Carburetor Cup and Formula Fun, two fixed setup series that give everyone a chance to sample iRacing’s fastest cars – the Impala Class A (at Talladega Superspeedway) and the Williams-Toyota FW31 (at the full Okayama International Circuit).

Impala Class A and Williams-Toyota FW31 not your cups of tea? No worries, there’s plenty more on tap. How about the Week 13 Sprint Car Series at Thompson, New Hampshire, Lainer, Richmond, USA International and South Boston? Or the Week 13 Silverado Series at Charlotte, Iowa and ‘Dega?

Like turning left and right while racing 59 other sim racers? Then the Week 13 Production Enduro is for you, with 60 car fields of MX-5 Cup, Pontiac Solstice and SpecRacer Fords going at it for 15 laps at Spa-Francorchamps. Like the same kind of action but with a little more “grunt?” Sign-up for the Week 13 Prototype and GT Series at Suzuka, where we’ll have 60 car fields of HPD ARX01s on Tuesday and Wednesday, Ford GTs on Thursday and Friday and Corvette C6.Rs on Saturday and Sunday. While those races are all 15 lappers, the series’ grand finale features all three cars running in 90 minute races every three hours beginning at 01:00 GMT on Sunday.

Did we miss anything? You bet we did. We’re also running the 24 Hours of Fun featuring the Star Mazda at our sensational new road circuit, Oulton Park, as soon as the Season 4 build is released.

Official or unofficial; oval or road, racing or gymkhana, open wheel, sports or stock car, there’s something for every iRacer the fun before the storm known as Week 13.

Road Leg ends = win
Quote from BlueFlame :It's touch and go really, he didn't do it with other people in mind, only himself. You'd argue he was SUPPOSED to crash into them, but you'd also argue it wasn't his fault.

Touch and go my arse. It's using a tool that is not available in game to gain an advantage over other users. This is called cheating.

Agreed it wasn't his fault but why should he get away with it when someone without a lag switch wouldn't? Should lag switches be allowed now but only to be used when it isn't your fault?

Edit: All of the above is on the assumption that he was using a lag switch and that it wasn't just a coincidental lag. As improbable as that is (prehaps his computer is in the starship Heart of Gold).

Edit 2: Anyone got any road legends sets?
Quote from menantoll :Touch and go my arse. It's using a tool that is not available in game to gain an advantage over other users. This is called cheating.

Agreed it wasn't his fault but why should he get away with it when someone without a lag switch wouldn't? Should lag switches be allowed now but only to be used when it isn't your fault?

Edit: All of the above is on the assumption that he was using a lag switch and that it wasn't just a coincidental lag. As improbable as that is (prehaps his computer is in the starship Heart of Gold).

Edit 2: Anyone got any road legends sets?

I'm not defending him, I'm just saying it's less of a cheat than speed hack or something.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG