The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13669 posts, closed, started )
well the 24hr fun thing was still one or 2 hour gaps and only for 24 hours at the weekend? Something like that. And like you say they ditched that too.

That is nearly as good as the offer Chuck got us last year if you make the assumption that you are going to spend money on content at some point anyway (which I did). But like you, I'm going to pass on that one. Easy to say when I still have time left on my subs though. Like an alcoholic, it's easy to say you're going to give up when the beer runs out. When the beer actually runs out though it becomes a lot harder.
I used Chucks deal and it was amazing value compared to anything iracing have offered, but I will not be renewing... I think it was $48 for a year, but tbh, I have used it less than NKPro, which cost £13, which I have only had for a few weeks... And I don't have to pay for content..

I really cannot justify paying a penny more on iracing in it's current state than I have already paid, which was way to much. I would rather set up something with nkpro for the lfs community whilst waiting for the LFS updates than waste more money on iracing.

This is my opinion on the current sim racing situation for me (purely my opinion)

LFS (£24)=struggling on it's knees tbh, we could really do with those physics updates before 2012... Until then, we will play it, but without the enthusiasm it needs for us to be competitive..

NKPro(£13)=with the new updates, the physics seem pretty awesome, plus the fact that you can run any track (almost) makes this a serious option for us, and I would suggest any LFS team looking for something different. Whether we (SR) are able to manage a small league is still open to debate, but it is something that we will consider. The netcode is improved so I hear, but until we run it on a proper server I can't comment..

iRacing(£100's+)=Really hard to run a team using this as our main sim. There is no api to enable us to effectively monitor what is going on, and the fact it costs so much means for a team of our size, with differing financial situations with our members, it means we can only support a handful of racers. Also, with the release of iracing 2.0, I personally have lost faith in iracing altogether.

^^ I would like to qualify this above statement.

iRacing=IMHO, iracing physics are wrong. It only takes a few minutes looking at the comments from all the iracers saying how bad the OTM (original tyre model) was, to realise that they all agree. If you asked this question before the NTM (new tyre model) came along, they would say iracing physics were the best EVER... Now they are saying that the ntm is wrong also, but in a whole new way. I only know how it feels, and to me it feels wrong. Also, iracing costs a freaking fortune...

Live for Speed=LFS feels right. Not perfect in any way, but right. It really needs updating, which we are all waiting for. I can only hope Scawen does a better job than Dave K. Personally I think he will, as LFS seemed to me to have a better model from the beginning, whereas iracing's model was wrong from the start...

NKPRO=Only just started with this, but it feels right. It feels to me like a more advanced LFS, physics wise. It is pretty close to what I would imagine Scawen's tyre model will feel like. Some of the cars feel a bit shit, but some are awesome. It pisses all over iracing IMHO with some of the cars. The fact that it has unlimited tracks (track editor, plus loads of tracks already made by the community) is a massive bonus. The huge downside for NKPro is lack of online racing, plus it really feels like a beta game, with some really bad UI. I am not convinced yet that the sim is developed enough atm to support a community the way lfs does.

rfactor=not for me, like everyone waiting to see what rfactor2 offers.
Seriously... Pointing out that iR has put oval first in the past, and pretty much completely ignores the lotus, gets you called a whiner by a guy with over 6000 posts in 18 months and he hasn't raced in over 3 months.

Keyboard warrior.
A fully paid up member of the iRacing defence league.

I've posted my idea for pick up racing, well fun races every half hour, in the suggestions forum. I'm just waiting for the defence league to tell me how wrong I am now.
Quote from menantoll :A fully paid up member of the iRacing defence league.

I've posted my idea for pick up racing, well fun races every half hour, in the suggestions forum. I'm just waiting for the defence league to tell me how wrong I am now.

....That forum is crazy. I signed up for the 3 months for 12 dollars deal to see what iracing was all about. iRacing is the simracing version of WoW. hahaha.
What do you mean? WoW is actually a pretty decent game with a lot of features. iRacing has lots of potential that isn't being realized and is too half baked for me to justify paying any more into it for now.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :What do you mean? WoW is actually a pretty decent game with a lot of features. iRacing has lots of potential that isn't being realized and is too half baked for me to justify paying any more into it for now.

Don't be too nice.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :What do you mean? WoW is actually a pretty decent game with a lot of features. iRacing has lots of potential that isn't being realized and is too half baked for me to justify paying any more into it for now.

WoW is a great game! To some it's like a religious cult, just like iracing seems to be a cult with some members.

I was positive I wasn't going to continue with iracing but this latest 75 dollar deal has me thinking. iracing hasn't impressed me but I'm thinking of renewing. I think I'm an idiot.
I did the 75 deal a few years now it's a good deal if you plan on using it, which I don't anymore. Too many empty promises (or allusions) - seems to be the modus operandi of the genre so far.

Phil I don't know what you mean by that (for a change)

Ironically WoW actually IS a great game though as you say. Some people take it pretty damn serious though which I guess is your point.
Sifting through the forums including this one I get the impression that iracing has put out alot of empty promisses. I was a little surprised myself at some features that have been in sims since gtr2 are not even in iracing. I can't find people of my own skill level to race against either which is a little frustrating. There are the fast guys who are a second or two faster than me and there are guys who are two or three seconds slower than me all in the same race. I'm usually the last guy on the lead lap in the SM races...lol. I think I have a week to make up my mind I guess.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Phil I don't know what you mean by that (for a change)

I just don't like WoW, not even the thought of it. Of course I've never played it, and never intend to. Never had the stomach to. However the WoW and iRacing comparison I like, mainly because I'm disliking iRacing so much right now I can put it in the same category as WoW (plus the pay to play).
Quote :This video is unlisted.

Quote :Adding comments has been disabled for this video.

that's not much fun now is it
Quote from boothy :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvO86WL-9uk&hd=1

Stop paying, stop playing.
Either that or form a protest group, get about four people who race in the same split to qual near the front then when an official race goes green block the track making it impossible to race. You inform the pack b4 race start of what you are doing & why.

You can spam the voice chat or audio chat with your message.
Basically kick up a shit storm. Rinse & repeat until iR threaten to terminate your membership. You have rights, you paid for that sh!t.
Quote from boothy :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvO86WL-9uk&hd=1

But boothy, thats because our sets are wrong. :rolleyes:

That's why the fixed series, they give us a set that gets destroyed by them too. Did they not test the sets? It's a fixed series afterall...

Quote from anttt69 :Stop paying, stop playing.

I was with you here.
Quote :
Either that or form a protest group, get about four people who race in the same split to qual near the front then when an official race goes green block the track making it impossible to race. You inform the pack b4 race start of what you are doing & why.

You can spam the voice chat or audio chat with your message.
Basically kick up a shit storm. Rinse & repeat until iR threaten to terminate your membership. You have rights, you paid for that sh!t.

But then I lost you here.

Sadly I renewed for a year way back on one of the 75% deals in the early summer or spring. My sub runs out next May or June. I won't be paying for anything, but still sucks I gotta sit around at it. Feels like a wasted $75 to spend, but that was their plan all along.
Quote from menantoll :A fully paid up member of the iRacing defence league.

I posted in that thread as well.
Just make all Open Practise sessions to be multiple short races! That way you can join mid session or jump out when you have had enough, hmm that would just be like LFS then and lets face it there is probably no better format for pick up racing
Quote from jasonmatthews :
This is my opinion on the current sim racing situation for me (purely my opinion)

Iracing never attracted me, I doubt it ever will be.
Rfactor neither, maybe with Rfactor2
NKPRO, didn't test it out lately but the UI really sucked when I tried it last year.
LFS until 2012, I agree.

If there is no news anymore when we enter 2012 then the focus here switches to NKPRO far more seriously. It's no coincidence that I choose a neutral name at the time .
Quote from cargame.nl :
NKPRO, didn't test it out lately but the UI really sucked when I tried it last year.

Yeah, because that's the deal breaker when it comes to choosing a sim...
Quote from cargame.nl :Iracing never attracted me, I doubt it ever will be.
Rfactor neither, maybe with Rfactor2
LFS until 2012, I agree.

If there is no news anymore when we enter 2012 then the focus here switches to NKPRO far more seriously. It's no coincidence that I choose a neutral name at the time .

Netkar is amazing. Biggest head scratcher for me about netkar is why there aren't more drivers.
Quote from Jshort :Netkar is amazing. Biggest head scratcher for me about netkar is why there aren't more drivers.

This.
We should create a movement!
Well I'm often looking for a decent server. The problem probably is there being thousands of people who open up the server list and just close it in disappointment rather than everyone joining up
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13669 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG