The online racing simulator
Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :What genius at Ford thought making the quadrant (or ratchet if you'd prefer) out of plastic was a good idea?

Quote from morpha :[accountant]

It saddens me that you're correct. But all it does is ruins the companies reputation when guys with white collars can interfere with the build quality.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :It saddens me that you're correct. But all it does is ruins the companies reputation when guys with white collars can interfere with the build quality.

surely that one piece of broken car would fall into the acceptable failure rate. was it broke when you bought it? how much use did you get out of it? although i agree with you, cars are not built as strong as they used to be. but unfortunately, this is the world we live in. cars are no longer a luxury. i'd even go as far as saying they'd be closer to white goods. simply because they have shorter life expectancies than lets say a mk1 ford Mexico or even a mk1 sierra.
you'd be better off getting stronger replacements fabricated with stronger materials.
Quote from dadge :surely that one piece of broken car would fall into the acceptable failure rate. was it broke when you bought it? how much use did you get out of it? although i agree with you, cars are not built as strong as they used to be. but unfortunately, this is the world we live in. cars are no longer a luxury. i'd even go as far as saying they'd be closer to white goods. simply because they have shorter life expectancies than lets say a mk1 ford Mexico or even a mk1 sierra.
you'd be better off getting stronger replacements fabricated with stronger materials.

It isn't just once piece though, since hitting about 99k bits have started breaking on a regular basis. Which I accepted as bits will wear out, but the bit of plastic above could easily of been made out of metal. If I had a Mk5 there is an aftermarket version which is metal for 20 notes, buying the plastic version from Ford is 13 notes. Plus thanks to how the pedal box is designed it is a massive pain in the arse to replace.

They are white goods now. Most cars will get sold after about 40k on the clock. Which is a nothing figure. A well maintained (serviced when required) modern engine can hit 200k+ without breaking a sweat. But the rest of the vehicle will never live that long. Fords are prolific for it. Would it really hurt to stick a couple of grand on the price tag and use good materials?

Oh wait, yes it would. Where is the profit margin in making a car that'll see you from cradle to grave?
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :It isn't just once piece though, since hitting about 99k bits have started breaking on a regular basis. Which I accepted as bits will wear out, but the bit of plastic above could easily of been made out of metal. If I had a Mk5 there is an aftermarket version which is metal for 20 notes, buying the plastic version from Ford is 13 notes. Plus thanks to how the pedal box is designed it is a massive pain in the arse to replace.

They are white goods now. Most cars will get sold after about 40k on the clock. Which is a nothing figure. A well maintained (serviced when required) modern engine can hit 200k+ without breaking a sweat. But the rest of the vehicle will never live that long. Fords are prolific for it. Would it really hurt to stick a couple of grand on the price tag and use good materials?

Oh wait, yes it would. Where is the profit margin in making a car that'll see you from cradle to grave?

Fix Often Repair Daily i think Ford stands for lol. but yeah, apparently people want cheap cars more than they do reliable.
that's why i suggested you get a replacement fabricated with stronger materials. that way, it would break less and save you more in the long run.
Unfortunately....

The old days - car holds together forever, but motor falls apart.

Today - motor runs forever, but the cars fall apart.
Quote from mrodgers :Unfortunately....

I guess u mean the other way round?...
Quote from Takumi_lfs :I guess u mean the other way round?...

No, a modern car will die of rust before the engine starts to get leggy. In days of old due to less accurate build quality the motor will blow before the rest of the car is beyond economical repair.
old car + new engine = the last car you will ever buy.
photoshopped teaser

but it will be this low!
(or super close)

The super-reliable Diahatsu was making a slightly unnerving chugging sound in neutral when I started it tonight. I am worried that I might only get another couple of years of trouble-free motoring out of it.
Quote from XCNuse :photoshopped teaser

but it will be this low!
(or super close)

It still looks stock, guess they are really high stock, looks alot better when lowered tho, and not a impractical result either.
once wheels get on there it will look not stock haha; I know I hate it too, those wheels have GOT to go!!!

um yeah no that is actually super close to what it will look like, maybe a touch lower in the front, but, that photoshop is easily within a quarter inch of where I want it to be (which is easily achievable)

the front is a tiny high.. which I may have to keep it that way just because it's a daily drive, but from that photoshop, maximum drop would be another inch lower, which is insane. (tucking half the tire wall on both ends, front / rear)

But we will see. Happy belated Chinese New Years.. Hope the BC racing factory is having a wonderful time off; come Monday my coilovers will begin being built!
Quote from mrodgers :Unfortunately....

This of course is case sensitive, but I think mostly it isn't like this. Even old engines run much longer than modern ones. All these "green" regulations that keep tightening force manufacturers to make ridiculously sensitive engines with really tight tolerances and to use more different sensors to measure different things, modern engines tend to be much more sensitive for any kind of wear.

Even if you go thru some kind of a car mechanic education they will most likely tell you that modern engines start loosing power much more early and will stop working more easily too and the reason is that regulations keep tightening and tightening.

The most durable engines maybe were made somewhere around 80's or before middle 90's.

But on some level I agree, when you go way back, like 50's or 60's engine failures were very common for many reasons and car manufacturers often even offered engine changes as a part of their mileage / Km based service program. Most materials especially seals weren't as good and one thing what makes a big difference I think is that oils weren't anything as good as they are now or even were on 80's.
just got those BMW oem style5 by BBS, for summer
now only I need to polish dishes and get some 205/40 or 195/40

Style 5's.... lovely!!

I sold my e34 535i Manual a few months back and regret it! But here is my new baby...

1997 BMW 328 Sport
MontrealBlue
Mtech kit
Clear lenses
18" MV2 Alloys - with 5th alloy
Half leather sport interior
LSD
7 button OBC
Non-Air con
Sunroof
Footwell lights
Usual shizzle, I'll update it with a proper spec list soon, but thats pretty much it...

Anyway, pictures...

Just messing, glad you finally have a car. It better have been worth not seeing Danny and myself for. !!!
LMAO. I'd rather be a cock than a chav

Also, the local boys in blue saw it fit to issue me with 3 points an a £60 fine Saturday nigt...
am i the only person to see the episode of TG that said BMWs are no longer cock cars? i'm sure it had switched to Audi...
Quote from The General Lee :LMAO. I'd rather be a cock than a chav

Also, the local boys in blue saw it fit to issue me with 3 points an a £60 fine Saturday nigt...

LOL and you call me a chav.

Ps I am not a chav, what about my car is chavvy?!??!???
wtf is chav?!
Quote from e2mustang :wtf is chav?!

Just a british shit to be honest...

E: And only Chavs seem to use that word only...
so a brittish faggot is a chav. gotcha
Quote from e2mustang :so a brittish faggot is a chav. gotcha

no, you haven't. sexuality has eff all to do with it. you can get gay chavs, lad chavs and girl chavs. a chav is a chav.
This thread is closed

Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG