The online racing simulator
Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
Quote from e2mustang :if your car is an 03 production than u can buy a kit from bmw for aux that connects into the oe cd player

Nah, it's a '00. No MODE button on the radio, so plug'n'play cables won't work. I'll just pay a few beers for my electrician mate and he'll surely sort it out.
Can't you get a radio from a '03 model?
Quote from Dennis93 :if you have a phone with Digital Output, like iPhone, that's even better quality that AUX.

false i believe, especially if there is a charging feature going on also.

if it is charging, then there are 2 currents running on the cable instead of 1; if not charging just digital, im not sure.

also im not positive about that, but thats my local audio shop's words.
Quote from logitekg25 :false i believe, especially if there is a charging feature going on also.

if it is charging, then there are 2 currents running on the cable instead of 1; if not charging just digital, im not sure.

also im not positive about that, but thats my local audio shop's words.

iPod can do analogue out (using it's internal DAC) or digital out (use your own DAC) charging or not.

The connectors Apple use are quite clever.

EDIT - For proof, Kenwood units like mine using the analogue out + charging, Alpine X100 / X305's do digital out (using their fancy Burr Brown DAC's) + charging.

You can't do "fast" charging (more than 500ma) when using it though (to charge more than 500ma, you need to ground the data pins - which means no data obviously!)
Quote from Dennis93 :I wouldn't have a $10k stereo without knowing what's better than AUX....

That argument is very valid. I always make valid arguments so I know when I see one.
Quote from Dennis93 :I wouldn't have a $10k stereo without knowing what's better than AUX....

money =/= brains
Quote from Bose321 :That argument is very valid. I always make valid arguments so I know when I see one.

Quote from logitekg25 :money =/= brains

Exactly, that's why I choose Digital out.
Aux is crappy quality, I bet you're the kind of person thinking that youtube quality is the best as well....
no yt videos are waaaaaay too compressed to rip audio from...im not saying im a know it all, im just saying what the person who does this for a living told me.
boring
Quote from logitekg25 :no yt videos are waaaaaay too compressed to rip audio from...im not saying im a know it all, im just saying what the person who does this for a living told me.

He told you AUX is better than Digital? Maybe you should question his knowledge a bit.

trying to get a video on YT of my OLD build. before we made the 394ltr box.
sorry for the messiness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... _UNk&feature=youtu.be

There you go
brazilians..
HUEHEUHEUEHUEHEUEHUE.

The rattle in the start was the rear window wiper, got rid of that, and the 4 12'' subs to care of the boot.....
Quote from Töki (HUN) :but I want to keep the original Business CD radio.

Thats why you need aux adapter, hide USB anywhere you want, including aux wire.
Im pretty sure a business cd radio form an 03 is plug n play. I did my boss's car this way but it was an E39. He also wanted the aux in for his ipod and i did nothing but get a later version radio and hook up the kit from BMW.

Edit: the antenna hook up might be different,but there is a kit for that also. but anyway who da F listens to radio these days?
Quote from Töki (HUN) :..I don't want to replace the original radio because any other radios would **** up the interior. Do not want..

Not sure I agree there.. most of the time it still seems possible to find a tasteful aftermarket solution, at least for cars that aren't tooo new. It's like car companies realized people were replacing their headunits & specifically started designing dash's so nothing but factory could possibly fit/look nice, heh. That said, many newer systems have much better sound quality & features. Sadly, cars tend to be pretty crappy now otherwise, haha.
Quote from Dennis93 :He told you AUX is better than Digital? Maybe you should question his knowledge a bit.

trying to get a video on YT of my OLD build. before we made the 394ltr box.
sorry for the messiness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... _UNk&feature=youtu.be

There you go

Wow, shelling out 10k for a stereo in a car, which probably is about the worst place in regard to interference, really isn't that smart... Now, that monstrosity just takes the cake... And you question his sanity... :doh:
Oh gosh, I hadn't watched the vid.. KILLITWITH:bananadea!!!
Quote from Tinytacohead :Not sure I agree there.. most of the time it still seems possible to find a tasteful aftermarket solution, at least for cars that aren't tooo new. It's like car companies realized people were replacing their headunits & specifically started designing dash's so nothing but factory could possibly fit/look nice, heh. That said, many newer systems have much better sound quality & features. Sadly, cars tend to be pretty crappy now otherwise, haha.

I'm too picky, in my opinion aftermarket ones ruin the middle of the dash, they just don't fit right. :P meh meh meh meh And I like the look of the original one.

If the >03 radios are really plug'n'play then I guess I'll go for it, thanks for the info, e2. BTW, any upcoming updates on your 36?

E: Passed MOT today, I'll get the plates on monday, sort all the papers and the baby is ready to roll. \/
lmao.. well yea, when you take the worst possible dash's & then basically just cut a hole in them, the results tend to be pretty tacky.
Quote from bbman :Wow, shelling out 10k for a stereo in a car, which probably is about the worst place in regard to interference, really isn't that smart... Now, that monstrosity just takes the cake... And you question his sanity... :doh:

Bare in mind, atleast 2-3K was used on Dynamat and different vibration absorbers.

As i said, this was an early build, very messy indeed, question my sanity then, sure.

But if you have to travel 6 hours every 2 weeks by car, you need something to keep you awake, it's also great for having tunnel parties and stuff..

But this was just to do a quick installation whilst the box was getting built.

The case, Before i removed it, was very very 'descrete' compared to this, amplifiers hidden behind the seats, aaaand just about 142db on Digital out, on 50Hz. AUX started messing about at 132db and wouldn't play without the stupid minor 'crakling' and static noises on lower volume.

It would obviously reach 144~db with Bass Race SPL CD's.

But my stereo is out now, and doing a turbo convertion, so pics to follow when done.
So that stereo was in the AE86? Wtf is wrong with you?
so you ruined what is supposed to be a light and nimble car so everyone around you can get pissed off by listening to your boot rattle.

awesome.
Quote from Klutch :so you ruined what is supposed to be a light and nimble car..

What is it? (and ruining cars is obviously the main goal behind most of the minds pushing this thread )
Quote from Scrabby :So that stereo was in the AE86? Wtf is wrong with you?

Wait what? He has a newer Corolla (AE93). Or... I missed something.
This thread is closed

Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG