The online racing simulator
Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
Quote from dadge :my parents didn't have spikes but the rug trick worked lots of times for them. i guess they were lucky those dozen times or so...

I see people attempt it countless times and fail, it must be in the rug....
Quote from logitekg25 :that truck in-particular gets like 20 mpg if i drive it average, and like 17 if i get on it.

thats not great, but its what il expect from a truck. i said im fine with not-so-great mpg cause most of my money will go to it anyways

20mpg is piss poor though, especially when you're driving a truck, so you're not even going to get any enjoyment from your low mileage. If it was a mid-'90s Beemer and you were going to take every corner with the back end out then I suppose you would at least feel like you were getting value out of your fuel.

Do you need a truck for your job or... I'm struggling to understand why you'd put up with such an expensive daily driver. Especially when there are Japanese pickup trucks commonly available in the USA that get much better mileage.
logi u know predicted gas price for next year is over 5 $ ? which is still half the price compared to hungary. u pay almost 9 $..
so il get another job..but a truck is good for carrying anything i need, light work, friends (cab room kinda, but chillin in the back is far more common then you would think), and have the power to have fun, and help others (if a heavier duty truck diddnt already try to help)
Well reading your description of why you want it makes me want to say "you are wasting your money".

Unless you already have a job where you will be hauling stuff and actually using the truck for what it is built for, just buy a car that will get you from point A to B.

Saying "well if fuel is costing me too much I'll just get another job" is IMO one of the most ignorant things you could say.
yeaa thats pretty true, and i guess your right..i dont need a truck at all.

for some reason i fell in love with this.

in fact, i get my permit in 6 months, so in maybe 7 or 8 months, i will most likely start a thread with recomendations for a first car/truck.

i mentioned it here for any major pro's & con's with this truck anyone had experiences with.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :1837.80 CDN for a 2001 Jetta 1.8L Turbo. That's also my first car so I only start out with 5% discount.

$900/year full coverage, 03 VW Jetta 1.8turbo and 06 Mazda Tribute S 4WD V6

Some day you'll be of age

It actually is cheaper to fully cover my turbocharged Jetta than it was to have liability only on my Civic.
Quote from logitekg25 :yeaa thats pretty true, and i guess your right..i dont need a truck at all.

for some reason i fell in love with this.

I'm sure we've all spent stupid money on stuff for that exact same reason, which is why people are trying to make you think more about it.

It will be a pig to drive too, you know it will. If you are as enthusiastic as you say about cars you will probably hate it.

If you want to buy some sort of party wagon I suppose you should look at SUVs. I used to have a 4Runner with a pop-top roof over the bed and rear seats which made it part truck, part awesome beach / tailgate party car. Still dull as bollocks to drive though, no guts.
not so much a "party wagon" but yeah something among those lines.

but i plan on (dont flame, me and everyone around me love music) putting sub's and speakers in it to get amazing sound outta it. i talked to a guy who does car audio and he said an suv would take so much money to get good sound out of it. something with a smaller cab (like a civic he used as an example, or cobalt) would be relatively cheap to get good sound.

so obviously the truck's cab is smaller then the suv, and would be far cheaper.
I don't understand the purpose of putting so much money into a sound system; unless you live in it.. seriously; just upgraded head unit and some better pushers and you're set.

you don't have to let everyone at your intersection know you have horrible taste in music; but no one seems to understand that...
ever been in a car with a truely sweet sound system?

i have a friend with 2 subwoofers and a few nice speakers crammed in a chevy s10, the bass so deep it massages you, and everything so crisp you enjoy it much much more.

not sure what it is, but even in my headphones i cant get enough bass. i love it, deep, warming bass

bass is amazing with music. i like rap and metal, so its not like il be cruising down the street with my R@9 muzik playin. il enhance all the music i listen to. so it isnt for the image it comes with, its actually for enjoyment.
:double facepalm:
Quote from logitekg25 :but i plan on (dont flame, me and everyone around me love music) putting sub's and speakers in it to get amazing sound outta it. i talked to a guy who does car audio and he said an suv would take so much money to get good sound out of it.

That guy is full of shit though isn't he? Cars are pretty bad listening environments anyway, having a small cockpit would make no difference, you've still got massive reflective surfaces everywhere (glass) and rattly knobs, switches, levers, hinges, latches etc. all over the place.

I'm a musician, actually a bass player, so I've spent most of my life dealing with frequencies 500hz and below, the lowest fundamental from my instruments is 40hz. And I deal with studio environments pretty much every day. Even in the most live of live rooms you would never have surfaces as reflective as the inside of a car - particularly a truck cab. It is just a horrible environment for sound. Especially for bass frequencies where you'll get huge issues with standing waves and phase cancellation. This is why all car stereos sound terrible - especially those full of "subwoofers". A sub to me is either a speaker with a 15" or 18" diameter and huge excursion, or a smaller speaker in a ****ing massive cabinet designed by a genius with very clever bracing and porting - you won't get that in any in-car audio setup.

Wow check my rant power!
Rant? I read that as an informative post.

If you are basing a vehicle on what it "can" sound like on the inside, you are buying a pair of headphones, not a car.
ya that was just informative

idk what i heard in my friends truck then, sounded really nice.

and not just the sound but the bigger the space more power needed..flame all you want, thats what im doing. not going overboard, but want good sound.
Funnily enough the guy I bought my last double bass from (fantastic jazz musician) was in my house tonight having a meeting about some artsy stuff with my girlfriend and some other people, and when they were winding down he (naturally!) wanted to check out the new set of strings I'd put on my upright.

I was upstairs auditioning some drum takes while he played my bass in the dining room and at first I thought it was a car outside with a heavy bass output - I've never heard my bass played in another room before and ****ing hell it was deep!

But yeah, it makes the point that the double bass is ****ing massive because it needs to be ****ing massive. Try playing an acoustic bass guitar in accompaniment to an acoustic guitarist - he will flatten you with volume and you will produce no bottom end at all. Take on the same guitarist with a double bass and decent pizzicato technique and you will be heard, use a bow instead and you will probably drown him out. Bass powah!
Quote from logitekg25 :ya that was just informative

idk what i heard in my friends truck then, sounded really nice.

I imagine you're listening from a position of ignorance though. Every over-developed car stereo I've ever heard made a complete mess of the bass, it was woolly and boomy and horrible - no definition at all.

Quote from logitekg25 :and not just the sound but the bigger the space more power needed..flame all you want, thats what im doing. not going overboard, but want good sound.

When the difference in size of your listening environment is a few feet or less, it is negligible. At sea level, the wavelength of a bass frequency at 40hz is close to 30ft. Your music (if it's hip hop with prominent sub frequencies) will feature lower frequencies than that - it's mixed for club systems, not your car.

As you can see, with a 30ft waveform inside a cockpit that is no more than 4 or 5 five feet in its longest dimension, you're going to get a lot of cross-reflection. I would urge you to look up standing waves and phase cancellation - they are fact and they happen even in well-designed recording studios, they will certain cause all sorts of mayhem in your car, regardless of what your car is, if you insist on producing unnecessary amplitude of bass frequencies.

Anyway, your argument was power: It's true that you need more power for bass frequencies (When playing bass guitar I typically use an amp with 10x the power output of the guitarist, because I need to) but really, the size of an SUV interior compared to a truck cab is negligible in terms of power requirements. And Class D amps are so small and cheap now it won't matter anyway - your big issue is going to be reproduction. Speakers. None of the speakers you can put in your car will make it sound good.
that was all like reading another language

EDIT: but the post quoting me i understood most of. and is there any way to have mobile good sounding audio in the ears of a professional? as long as it sounds good to me, it should suffice, correct?
Quote from logitekg25 :and is there any way to have mobile good sounding audio in the ears of a professional?

The first thing a professional would do is treat the room - or in your case, car. The least extreme thing you could do is improve the fixing of the door panels to doors, fill the voids inbetween with foam, provide acoustically-beneficial cushioning for any rattly moving parts and so on. Then if you manage to dampen all the lousiest parts of your car that aren't required for actually driving it, you could think about speakers. But a sound engineer would want to cover most of the windows too, if not all, which would make it difficult to drive.

Quote from logitekg25 :as long as it sounds good to me, it should suffice, correct?

I do a lot of live gigs and I put up with a lot of shitty venues and shitty sound men. Trust me, if you care about music then you will tire of lousy reproduction very quickly. Bad sound (humpy frequency responses, phasing issues, probably obvious mid scoops due to you having expensive gear and not knowing what to do with it) are the sort of things you're going to get, and they are tiring on the ear.

And you can add compression to all of that. Sadly, inhuman amounts of compression are commonly added in mastering studios these days, but if you put out inhuman sound pressure levels from your car stereo your own personal ears are going to be compressing the sound too. The first five minutes of your music might sound awesome to your untrained ears but it will get steadily worse, it will sound distorted, to the point where all you can hear is a rushing sound where the bass ought to be and a tonne of hissy treble content.

That's your ears telling you that you shouldn't expose them to those sorts of levels, and it can lead to permanent damage.

It's worth telling you this stuff because you're young and you apparently love music. Look after your ears, most people don't appreciate how delicate they are.
Look after me, I'm delicate as well.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Look after me, I'm delicate as well.

I know that. You don't get a hug because I am busy arguing with you elsewhere, but I am trying to be gentle with you.
I don't want this love to feel like a battlefield.
This thread is closed

Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG