The online racing simulator
Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
Fully comp is usually cheaper because you can pay a large voluntary excess. Mine is around £500, which basically takes that off the insurance price... unless you hit someone.
Quote from pb32000 :Fully comp is usually cheaper because you can pay a large voluntary excess. Mine is around £500, which basically takes that off the insurance price... unless you hit someone.

Excess (voluntary being £500 and compuslery being £200) was the same for FC and TPFT when I got quotes. FC still came out cheaper. I think it is because insurance brokers realised that a lot of yoofs will choose TPFT without even looking at FC because "I can't afford that" so they ramped up the prices just to squeeze on the younger driver even more.
first off, this truck is NOT a big truck by any means!

its comparable to the chevy s10. not a real truck by any means, just a lightweight chassis with a bed cabable enough to get you through most of what you need, with a light payload.

being lightweight in nature, and designed partially to be sporty, sure the corners i will fail, and the straights i still might not do as great as i want, but trackdays are meant for fun...am i wrong? il take what i have, and if thats what i have, then thats what i will get.

insurance (for the company i called) said that the insurance is mainly decided through the crash test ratings. they said mainly $$ owed = trucks<suv's<sedans<coupes<roadsters (i feel like i missed a type of bodystyle :schwitz

and me owning a 'huge' truck instead of a sedan will do what?

why cant a truck run forever? you expect me to beat the living hell outta my engine? im going to maintain the engine exactly how it will need to be, and if something breaks, i will fix it. why wouldnt this thing last as long as i need it?

cheap to fill up? i plan to save almost every penny i make just to buy this truck, and continue to save every penny (i never spend any money anyways) just cause i love driving, and understand it takes money. so gas prices dont really matter to me, as long as i get more then like..12 mpg average, which i know that truck can easily do.

as for easy to drive, the hardest thing about driving a truck like this is the transmission which is a manual, and this isnt a problem.
ever try backing up a truck? its the easiest thing possible, for backing up's standards.
driving forward is easy enough too, as long as i know what the little line in the middle of the road means. what else could i ask for for easy to drive?
its not like its a dualie?
Insurance brokers will like trucks more than anything else because they are so simple and cheap to build as they are just a ladder chassis with a cab and box bolted on.

That means trucks have no crumple zones. You'd die in a crash (or at least break a lot of bones), but your truck would only cost a couple of grand to fix. To insurance companies this is a good thing.
You got in a crash in a 3-Series, chances are you'll walk away with a few cuts and bruises, but a car that'll cost a kings ransom to fix. To insurance companies this is a bad thing.

Now I don't know about you, but I know what I'd rather be in. There is a common misconception that big means better/safer. Which is why big vehicle owners (namely those in trucks) drive like cocks and glue massive bullbars/winch bumpers to their trucks and rise them so high the bumper is the perfect hight to go through someones windscreen.

Then when driving through a red light and T-Boning someone shouts "HOLYSHIT I TOTALLY OWNED THAT CAR I JUST HIT AND ONLY SCRATCHED MY BUMPER! AWESOME!" Which helps perpetuate the myth that bigger is better, because some kid in a Civic got T-Boned by a cock in a truck with a winch bumper on (even though the most off roading it does is the car park at Wal-Mart), the bumper went through the side of the Civic and caved in the kids face.

And before long some zealot comes by and says "a'yup, that's what happens when you buy foreign, always by domestic, we make the safest vehicles, them there japs or euros make shit ya hear."

So then trucks get bigger and bigger, so the winch bumpers get bigger and bigger which leads to more and more pricks jumping red lights and T-Boning kids in Civics.
why would i raise and put a winch on a truck with almost no true gvw, and its close to the height of a car.

you assume im going to drive like a cock, but why would i do that?
Can we have some more deep southern American accent please?
i REALLY hate that accent...and that isnt the part of america to have a jacked up truck with a useless winch
they are more into having the biggest piece of junk they can find and gloating that they can make it run forever, with duct tape and wd-40

around me might be the right place to find the jacked up truck with the winch, but havent seen any that are quite as bad as mentioned

my driveway=icy in winter, 2wd wont get it out the day after a snow storm...other then a winch (cause it would be pointless) what can i do to get it consistantly out? do i just need to wait it out til im plowed, or are there any tricks. like i could carry a tow strap, and attach to trees and pull myself up with the help with someone tightening tension, and someone driving
His point is valid though, many Americans think that their own domestic brand cars are faster, nicer, and better in every way. But they're not, their engines are nowhere near as efficient, I mean most 3 to 4 litre American vehicless barely produce 175bhp, and that's a modern car, giving about 20mpg, where as we can get the same power from a 1.4 which does 45mpg under the same situation. Don't mention large capacity V8's, I was watching Wheeler Dealers on Discovery Turbo earlier this evening, and there was a Corvette C4 (okay, a little bit old, but hey). Its 5.7L V8 engine made....205bhp. Who at General Motors thought that was acceptable? 15 years ago, we could that amount of power from a Naturally Aspirated 4 pot. Even today most of their 5 litre V8's make around 60bhp a litre which is shocking.

Additionally, their safety ratings are not as comprehensive as here, most American cars crumple to the point of folding themselves in half, there is comparitively very little concern for passenger safety. Then there's the cheap plastic interiors, they do genuinly feel like the inside of a bumper box of biscuits. I would rather drive to work in a wheelie-bin.

And now that and now you mention the winch, why do all American pickups (well, almost) have those stupid winches? Is it to appear more attractive to your sister?
most dont have winches, thats definately true around me..

and i was raised american, with a dad who works for an american car dealership, with a clear bias to american..i saw passed the american barrier and i dont prefer one country over another, i could drive a toyota, nissan, fiat,, ect..but my brother made me fall in love with this truck, and i came here searching for anything i overlooked before i start saving up and get my mind truely set on it.
Quote from logitekg25 :why would i raise and put a winch on a truck with almost no true gvw, and its close to the height of a car.

you assume im going to drive like a cock, but why would i do that?

Because the guys I came across in the states who drove trucks all drove like cocks. I won't say you only get cock headed drivers in the states, just they were louder and more obvious over there as my rental was a Toyota Camry I some how didn't deserve to be on the road.

Quote from logitekg25 :i REALLY hate that accent...and that isnt the part of america to have a jacked up truck with a useless winch
they are more into having the biggest piece of junk they can find and gloating that they can make it run forever, with duct tape and wd-40

around me might be the right place to find the jacked up truck with the winch, but havent seen any that are quite as bad as mentioned

my driveway=icy in winter, 2wd wont get it out the day after a snow storm...other then a winch (cause it would be pointless) what can i do to get it consistantly out? do i just need to wait it out til im plowed, or are there any tricks. like i could carry a tow strap, and attach to trees and pull myself up with the help with someone tightening tension, and someone driving

Get good snow tyres, get a snow shovel and if you really need four wheel drive get a Mitsubishi Galant. Much more fun than a truck on the road or at the track. Plus more practical.
snow tires might not help completely, but maybe il just look up the rug trick, and keep some sand with me
Quote from S14 DRIFT :His point is valid though, many Americans think that their own domestic brand cars are faster, nicer, and better in every way.

And now that and now you mention the winch, why do all American pickups (well, almost) have those stupid winches? Is it to appear more attractive to your sister?

I want you to move here for a month, and then re-post what you just said.

1. No, they don't. Most people here want a Toyota/Honda/Nissan because they believe they are more efficient. The people who get Ford/Chevy/Dodge are people that are older and/or have had those brands all their lives. For example logi's dad use to work for Dodge, so he wants a Dodge Dakota for a vehicle.

2. I'd like to do a test to see how many winches I actually see on a pickup here. I mean, it has to be less than 1 out of every 100 for sure. Most of the time when I see them it is on work trucks and actually come into use.
i can only think of 1 time i saw a vehicle with a winch on the road, it was a jeep and was VERY muddy

and someone understands why i want a dodge? :hyper:
Quote from logitekg25 :i can only think of 1 time i saw a vehicle with a winch on the road, it was a jeep and was VERY muddy

I have alot of construction going on around me currently, so I see trucks with winches quite a bit. But at least they are being put to use!
Quote from logitekg25 :snow tires might not help completely, but maybe il just look up the rug trick, and keep some sand with me

seriously? you must have either never driven a car or have a drive thats basically vertical
trust me for to do yourself and your countrymen a favour... just shush your gob all youre doing is reinforcing the (correct) stereotype that americans dont know anything about driving or cars
it was this very thread that someone said putting a rug under the tires gets grip, and sand can help immensely with ice
Quote from logitekg25 :it was this very thread that someone said putting a rug under the tires gets grip, and sand can help immensely with ice

Unless you got spikes on the underside of your rug, it ain't gonna work.
Is there actually any good snow tires available in the US? Because I find it weird that many Americans seem to think that you need 4wd during winter. I drive old RWD car with open diff and even the old stud tires are maybe just mediocre but I never have any problems. I remember one time this winter I got stuck but that was just my own stupidness backing in to high snow bank what I couldn't see...
Quote from BlueFlame :Unless you got spikes on the underside of your rug, it ain't gonna work.

my parents didn't have spikes but the rug trick worked lots of times for them. i guess they were lucky those dozen times or so...
Quote from logitekg25 :it was this very thread that someone said putting a rug under the tires gets grip, and sand can help immensely with ice

yes that can help in extreme situations
but ther idea that you need 4wd and sand to get out of a friggin driveway with a little snow on it is just preposterous
Quote from BigPeBe :Is there actually any good snow tires available in the US? Because I find it weird that many Americans seem to think that you need 4wd during winter. I drive old RWD car with open diff and even the old stud tires are maybe just mediocre but I never have any problems. I remember one time this winter I got stuck but that was just my own stupidness backing in to high snow bank what I couldn't see...

its not the tire problem,its the american mind.here maybe the ones on the smarter side get 4 season tires. some1 who actually knows what a car is get snow tires. i got bridgestone blizzak lm25 with lsd diff,i dont have any problem,i got stock 1 time when i was coming home from work,but the snow was up to half of the door.
my driveway is almost a quarter mile long, uphill the whole way, and you cant plow to the ground cause its all gravel. so after a snow storm its snowy, then it just turns to ice.

unless i get studs, pretty sure i need 4x4 for the first day or 2 after a storm, either that or a better way to pull myself up.

but what do i know. I CANT DRIVE YET, SO OF COURSE IM INEXPERIENCED!
Quote from logitekg25 :gas prices dont really matter to me, as long as i get more then like..12 mpg average, which i know that truck can easily do.

12mpg is ****ing heinous man. Don't you think as we're running out of fossil fuels it's a bit ignorant - especially for a young guy like yourself - to say that 12mpg is acceptable mileage?

Surely if you want a truck there are trucks that run cheaper than that? I know the type of truck you mean and yeah they've got a unique look about them and I understand the appeal but jesus, what a ****ing guzzler.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :Because the guys I came across in the states who drove trucks all drove like cocks. I won't say you only get cock headed drivers in the states, just they were louder and more obvious over there as my rental was a Toyota Camry I some how didn't deserve to be on the road.

My experience was a bit different. Most of the guys who drove trucks were tradesmen - roofers, builders, chippies, etc. I only came across a couple of people who really had no reason to own a pickup. They weren't as bad on the road as Brit white van drivers because most of them were driving their own trucks, not trucks that belonged to the company they worked for.

The worst drivers were state troopers and - as in every other country - taxi drivers.

My main complaint from driving in the USA* is that most drivers don't seem to know what they're doing, or they just don't take driving very seriously, and consequently it seems pretty unsafe to drive over there. Nobody's wearing a seat belt, everybody on the interstates is driving nose-to-tail at rush hour, they're just ****ing nuts over there.

Maybe it's the popularity of christianity - they actually want to die.

* I'm sure this doesn't reflect your average American LFS racer - you're enthusiasts so I would imagine you drive to a higher standard than most of your countrymen/women.
i think you mis-understood.

as long as it gets better then something hideous like that, then il be fine with it.

that truck in-particular gets like 20 mpg if i drive it average, and like 17 if i get on it.

thats not great, but its what il expect from a truck. i said im fine with not-so-great mpg cause most of my money will go to it anyways
This thread is closed

Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG