The online racing simulator
Just came here to say thanks for the much needed progress report!
I wish they were more frequent but Im not really in the position to complain nor criticize.

Keep up the good work and Merry Christmas!
Quote from tolas :Thanks for letting us know that LFS is still alive. I'll wait patiently for S3.

Well, these are my thoughts on Scawen's post. In no particular order:

Glad - to finally hear something from the dev team.
Reassured - that they still see a 'long term future' for LFS.
Appreciative - of Scawens technical document about tyres.
Disappointed - that there is still no specific news about new content. I can understand that it's hard to be specific with 'news' when experimenting with tyre physics, but it shuld be possible (and desirable) to show off progress on upcoming content and graphical updates.

Merry Christmas to all - really looking forward to the new LFS!
Quote from farcar :Well, these are my thoughts on Scawen's post. In no particular order:

Glad - to finally hear something from the dev team.
Reassured - that they still see a 'long term future' for LFS.
Appreciative - of Scawens technical document about tyres.
Disappointed - that there is still no specific news about new content. I can understand that it's hard to be specific with 'news' when experimenting with tyre physics, but it shuld be possible (and desirable) to show off progress on upcoming content and graphical updates.

Merry Christmas to all - really looking forward to the new LFS!

Well said, +1.

And I'll crawl back under my rock until the patch is there (with a short break for H2H).
Quote from mihu86 :I think the most important things LFS needs now are tracks....

Quote from Amynue :
Report clearly says that Eric is working on more S3 content so what's your point?

I am pretty sure that "Eric is working on more S3 content" its not really the best answer because its only Eric
He is not releasing stuff very often, only 6 tracks till now (Without the test area) So he might work on the new content but it doesnt mean LFS will swarm with new tracks or cars, in fact this probably means we will get one new track with scirocco and two tracks later (Since S1/2 have 3 tracks each i think this would be the case in S3 also)

So the only way you can get more content is either trough modding or hiring more devs, and neither of them look like a possible occurrence by now.
Yes there will be more content but one new car/track every two years doesnt really look like all that much content.

Edit: Unless modding will be allowed in S3 as Scaven mentioned once (Which is actually make sense because why S1 or S2 users would buy S3 when they can just mod S1 to beat S3 in therms of content.

On the side note I wonder how much this tyre physics change car behaviour I mean its only a tyre and LFS was pretty realistic already so I wouldnt expect anything radical here.
Quote from Chupacabras84 :I am pretty sure that "Eric is working on more S3 content" its not really the best answer because its only Eric
He is not releasing stuff very often, only 6 tracks till now (Without the test area) So he might work on the new content but it doesnt mean LFS will swarm with new tracks or cars, in fact this probably means we will get one new track with scirocco and two tracks later (Since S1/2 have 3 tracks each i think this would be the case in S3 also)

So the only way you can get more content is either trough modding or hiring more devs, and neither of them look like a possible occurrence by now.
Yes there will be more content but one new car/track every two years doesnt really look like all that much content.

Edit: Unless modding will be allowed in S3 as Scaven mentioned once (Which is actually make sense because why S1 or S2 users would buy S3 when they can just mod S1 to beat S3 in therms of content.

On the side note I wonder how much this tyre physics change car behaviour I mean its only a tyre and LFS was pretty realistic already so I wouldnt expect anything radical here.

while your point of only 6 tracks is valid, those layouts are really awesome! Tell me who wouldnt want to race a real car around as7, fe2 or ky3r for instance. So me personally, im more than happy with having less tracks but them being absolutely awesome than having alot of shit tracks.

That being said, good luck on your future work guys, I enjoy LFS almost every day, so the tyre patch isnt so important to me, but its a goal for you guys, and goals are always good to have (and finish i might say). Have a nice and relaxing holidays!
Quote from NumberTwo :while your point of only 6 tracks is valid, those layouts are really awesome!

Well they are not bad but I would like more elevation changes during turns, more bumpy road etc also a lot of corners are very simple i would like to see more long corners tightens in the end etc. (You know make it harder to drive)
Anyway they were pretty fun to drive for the first hundred times
Quote from NumberTwo :
So me personally, im more than happy with having less tracks but them being absolutely awesome than having alot of shit tracks.

No one is gonna force you to download and play a shitty track but to me a new track is a new layout and new challenge, while playing rfactor and GTL i tried a lot of tracks and i have to say that the weakest point of any track was rarely layout.
Usually it was bad textures, not enough models around the track which makes whole thing look deserted etc.

So in short words its hard to screw a layout (You need real talent do that)
And if its a visual side then most of the mods will still beat LFS hands down because as for now tracks in LFS (Except south city and fern bay) are deserted, empty and generally boring visually. in b4 I dont have time to admire surroundings while driving

You might want to look for a work of Virtua-Lm modding group (They are making mods for rFactor and GTL ) to see how a well done mod looks like.
I mean yes there will be bad mods so what, you dont have to play them and you still get tons of top quality stuff.
You cant really say its not worth it.
Im happy with what Scawen gave us...

Now i will go hide under the rock in my cave again...
Yes, i live in a cave and im retarded, dont diss :<
Quote from Kristi :Same questions pop out of my head, and yet we are the trolls here. How about fanboyism ? That's not better either.

This is LFS forum, ment for LFS fanboys, right?

If you go to hunting forum and whine that all the guns should be illegal and shooting animals is wrong, you are trolling.
If you go to 'anti-hunters' forum saying that hunting and guns are okay, you are trolling.
If you go to religious forum saying that god does not exist, you are trolling.
If you go to drug users forum saying drugs are bad and all the users are losers, you are trolling.
If you go to LFS forum whining that LFS is dead, you are trolling.

See the pattern here? You don't like LFS anymore and are not interested to wait, then stop playing and stop writing into LFS forum.

I haven't played LFS for over a year, probably biggest reason is it's quite hard to find good races anymore. So really i can't see myself as a fanboy. I play another stuff, and if the new shiny tyre physics are someday released, and they are as good as i expect (need to be the best, better than iRacing), i'll most definitely start to play LFS again, IF there are good races.

So i prefer waiting few more years and get the new standard for sim racing tyre physics, than get something i can already get from another sims right now. More cars, more tracks, okay physics and stuff like that. It already exists, in another games, no need to duplicate. I rather get something new.

Makes me think you guys are the fanboys here, disappointed fanboys who can't get over it.
Thx Devs!

i Love the way it goes. Qualtiy is better as quantity.
Quantity is enough in RF2, GT5 and other stuf.
Quote from mdmx :
I haven't played LFS for over a year, probably biggest reason is it's quite hard to find good races anymore.

Jeah.. This could be fixed by adding of popular Racetracks to LFS to get the interest of the simRACERS (and not drifters/cruisers and similar racingkillers :P). I guess a Strategy for cultivating a Racing spirit over the content would be a solution. For example: I like the XRT very much but unfortunatly it makes LFS popular as a good Drift-Game. So more GTR cars would be a solution.
>Implying a good driver wouldn't drift a GTR car
Also the fact you can drift in LFS speaks in favour of LFS very much (Those who tried to drift in rFactor know what I am talking about)
Nice to see that. But I hope it wont take so much as s2 is getting death. Only like 5 racing servers are really active. I want to ask if you are working some more on aerodynamics and crash model? In my opinion the lfs way of laggs and crash model is the worst part of lfs racing.
Im a laggy racer and had many problems of wheel by wheel racing or car behind a car where 1 racer fly away and the 2 havent even touched him.
This'll be the last year I'll be waiting for the 2008 patch.
Else, I'll probably be moving on.

I also dislike the way we're informed.
Go to lfs.net ->
There is a post from 24 december 2010
Next post is from 17th february 2010
You just can't do that..
Thanks Scawen for this report, now we all know that you are hard working on. I understand you like a perfeccionist, you want to do better and better, and I like this philosofy, also I admire your patient, because like a perfeccionist, I had left the project bored lot time ago...

I respect and admire you, and I like the way of LFS project.

But like a old user I have more things to say. So after some years racing LFS every day, I was bored to race in the same tracks, the tire model is needed but, also is needed more tracks, and I'm not talking abuot Rockingham. I do some tracks for rFactor with Bob's Track Builder, and with no experience I see that it is not too much hard to do a nice track.

What I demand you is more entertainment for us, and the easy and better way is adding tracks, also if you can't time to do tracks, why no to add a tool to add tracks from 3D Studio?

Drifters, Racers, Drivers.... all will appreciate new layouts

Also, on the topic of tire model. I race with a kart and I feel every day different feelings, and this changes are producing in 80% by the track surface. I read that you have thoroughly studied the tire, but you have thoroughly estudied the track surface?

Greetings and Happy Holydays
Quote from Napalm Candy :Also, on the topic of tire model. I race with a kart and I feel every day different feelings, and this changes are producing in 80% by the track surface. I read that you have thoroughly studied the tire, but you have thoroughly estudied the track surface?

Thanks for writing that - It seems to have slipped my mind to mention it. LFS surfaces are smooth as glass, it's an aspect that is seriously lacking.
I'm gonna break my nice post count of 666 and say this:

I believe that releasing the S3, although satisfying for many, will cause trouble in the long run. The reason for that is the further division of LFS community into more parts.
Now you have Demo, S1 (a minority) and the S2. Putting S3 into the equation will make the S2 look like S1.
I suggest to open the content a little more to other members. Let the Demo players race on S2 servers among the S2 cars, but do not allow them to drive them. Only their demo cars. It will show them what's going on in S2 and might encourage them to buy a "grown-up" license (Scawen, are you listening?).
On the other hand, this might cause a big surge of crashers and idiots to the otherwise "clean" S-servers. But it's only an assumption. Who knows how the reality would look like, but I'd like to give it a try.
...and if the demoers will cause chaos among the S-community, let this work only for S-licensed racers who value their account more.
breadfan: it doesn't seem good to me to allow demo racers to race on all licensed tracks available.
Yeah I think thats not good if the game would go to many parts like S3 or S4... Maybe S2 and S1 are enough and just everyone except demo would pay something to download a new patch?
Quote from Flame CZE :breadfan: it doesn't seem good to me to allow demo racers to race on all licensed tracks available.

I never said anything about tracks but I get your point. Well then this could be allowed only for Blackwood.
Quote from breadfan :I never said anything about tracks but I get your point. Well then this could be allowed only for Blackwood.

+1. I'd like to see that too.

Same should be applied for S1 users too, tho (only S1 tracks, obviously).

And later on, for S2 (only S2 tracks).

etc...?
Quote from JPeace :Or you could play Runescape... :elefant:

Dont play it anymore... Long time since last...
wna play it with me?
Quote from breadfan :I believe that releasing the S3, although satisfying for many, will cause trouble in the long run. The reason for that is the further division of LFS community into more parts.

I don't really see this as a big problem, tbh. Manly because the stage separation is only content-related and the original content for S3 will probably be "only" 1 new car and 1 new track.

S2-licensed users will still be able to drive on more than 90% of possible combos.
This thread is closed

Progress Report December 2010
(1653 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG