The online racing simulator
@Scawen
This is a disappointing and the wrong strategy (in my opinion). There is always something more to find out. A simulation will never perfect. I understand, that the physics seem not work in certain situations. But after a "promise" 2 years ago to release new content, it should have been your priority to release new content.

It seems to me, that you are chasing a carrot. You always have new ideas for new features and then figure out, that it takes more time to analyze and implement these things, until they are "perfect".

The 24th was the last date for me, for a new patch or a definitive release date. I will neither buy an S2 license nor play LFS anymore. I bought an S2 license for a friend of mine early in 2009 for his birthday, in hope for the Scirocco and new content. I also planned to buy a license for myself, as soon as the new content would have been released...

Bye
LFS_Adam (alias GT_320)
Good to hear from you, devs! I'm happy to read about the progress but somewhat sad at the sime time, it's a pity we have to keep on waiting, but oh well, the premise seems good enough to wait for it.

After reading through the progress report I'd like to ask this - now that you can simulate how tyres react to even small changes in their structure, will the different tyre brands have different characteristics in game? For example a set of R2 tyres from manufacturer A would last longer than from manufacturer B, but at a cost of somewhat less grip, or different feel to it, etc.
yay a sign of life

did i get the right impression from the report that thus far were at the point where the non real time model is producing sensible results but theres no new real time model yet?
-
(rockclan) DELETED by rockclan
#29 - rceX
Thank you so much
Quote :
After reading through the progress report I'd like to ask this - now that you can simulate how tyres react to even small changes in their structure, will the different tyre brands have different characteristics in game? For example a set of R2 tyres from manufacturer A would last longer than from manufacturer B, but at a cost of somewhat less grip, or different feel to it, etc.

We might have to wait til 2020 for that. :P
This is more than many people hoped to get for their LFS Christmas, not too shabby at all.

Condensing all the calculations of a realistic tyre model into a realtime model is of course really hard, but what I don't get is why it takes such a long time. To me it seems that once you have a pretty good approximation of this model, you're not gonna get much further without increasing the requirements of the computers. For a long time I think the answer for the updated physics is to not support the very slow computers that you insist on. :twocents:
So? any news then?

RF2 TIME!
I think that thanks to his testing tyre he can code the new tyre model into LFS quickly, once he's done. I believe his test program must be similar in code to LFS, so he don't get too much extra work, would be interesting to hear more about that.
I hope it will have multicore support too, but i'm not very optimistic about it. Well, let's wait some more and see.
It's also strange how it is taking so long for S3 content, seeing as Rockingham was announced over a year ago. Surely S3 (Rockingham) doesn't have to wait for new tyre physics? I mean, the new tyre physics may make it a better track to drive, but that's the case for every other track in the game. Eric doesn't seem to have done anything for quite some time.
Quote from rockclan :Let the door hit you on your way out, bye. :monkey:

let eric make sweet love to you too

[ edit by Scawen : you have now received your second infraction for spam in this thread - that means no posting for a week ]
Thanks for the information, good to hear about the progress.
I would have liked to read a little more about how the new tyre model will be implemented in LFS on the news page, or is the correct method still in the stars? Was nice to read BTW.

PS: Couldn't some portion of the tyre physics code be processed in OpenCL, so that you have to approximate less in your code? Or is it illusoric that everyone has an OpenCL capable GPU?
So still the same and no updates..

luckely rf2 comes soon.
Thanks for the report

Merry Christmas devs
Quote from Rudy van Buren :So still the same and no updates..

luckely rf2 comes soon.

I heared that Netkar is also having Rain and Osella soon.
Quote from baSh0r :I heared that Netkar is also having Rain and Osella soon.

Bought myself a wheel and RF for Christmas
Thank you for nice report.

Merry Christmas and happy new year to developers and people on this forum.
Quote from baSh0r :if it's close - possibly another 2 years maybe, then ?

give it a rest please,dont turn this thread into the other progress report.
Tango
Impressive work Developers, keep the reports comming !
And of course, happy x-mas !
Thank you for the report devs. I find it ironic everyone's whining "OMG LFS DEVZ R DEAD" then a report shows up

Here's hoping patch'll be out in 2011. You just made me wanna play LFS again

Merrry Christmas/Yule/etc everyone
i think maybe in 2012...
thanks for the news update Scawen, glad to see you guys still are working franticly, maybe you could release a alternate tyre test patch for use on specific servers in the future to get feedback on them? I'm sure that would help eliminate the bugs.

Also: RF2 isnt gonna be great, I have RF1 and its awfull, graphics stink and frame rates are worse. + physics are more arcady with all assists off
Thanks for the update.

Merry Christmas, some quiet days and a happy new year lfs forum.
This seems like a good approach to me: getting a "virtual test rig" up and running and then using a simpler model to replicate those results in real time.

A more intuitive approach would of course be to bypass the "virtual test rig" altogether and simply use a real test rig, measuring the forces directly and then replicating this behavior in the sim. However I seem to recall reading somewhere that a real test rig is not designed to handle the extreme situations (loads) which are encountered in racing conditions. This is because tyre manufacturers don't give a rat's behind about what happens beyond normal driving conditions.

Ideally, sim developers would design a real testing rig which can actually replicate real-life stress situations. We're probably looking at millions of ££'s in research and development, though, so this is not possible for LFS alone. In a dream scenario all the major sim developers (Scavier, Simbin, Kunos, iRacing...) all chipped in to this, and got access to all data. Then they'd each design their own models trying to replicate this data in their various sims.

But this remains just a dream... so I think Scavier's route makes a lot of sense.
Scawen, quick question if you could maybe answer.

When do you draw the line? Like you said, you think you got it sorted for release and then find something else to improve. Is it not one of those things where you can improve something on it all the time? Because if so, we can expect you to work on it for years to come without a release.

Anyway, forgot to say happy holidays.
This thread is closed

Progress Report December 2010
(1653 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG