The online racing simulator
Quote from edge3147 : HOWEVER, if the developing staff is having problems finding problems or incorrect physics,

they dont.
Quote from edge3147 :Okay, so I've been standing by waiting and waiting for this update. It has been nearly 3 months since you made the announcement on the main page (www.lfs.net) about the tyre physics and VW issues. I am not here to say hurry up and release the patch or ANYTHING LIKE THAT.

Actually, it was annunced more than 2 years ago.
i love lfs but i dont see why the devs can release a beta and get peoples feedback on how the car feels etc...
Well... before Scawen started working on carcass physics, they were close to public release. But now that he started working on carcass physics, they probably aren't quite usable yet to be released for public use. Although it's been 8 months (i think) since he started working on carcass so they should be at least usable.
Ah, so that's the main problem.

So far, LFS doesn't simulate the carcass physics, does it?
Quote from Swiss-Spirit :Ah, so that's the main problem.

So far, LFS doesn't simulate the carcass physics, does it?

I think it doesn't.

Quote from Scawen :(...) I am quite pleased with the contact patch / tread simulation at the moment, several recent updates resulted in more interesting and realistic handling. But there are some aspects of the current tyre model that do not change in the same way as a real tyre, for example with changes in pressure or load. This is due to the lateral deformation of the tyre's carcass (the cords and wires encased in rubber that hold its shape). (...)

Ah, fair enough.

But I think it's strange, people offer their help to the devs, but they seem like wanting to complete it themselves without testers.

I wonder if it's a good or bad thing...
They have a team of private testers, to which they send a playable build every now from which they get feedback.

But Scawen said there will be a good period of public testing, so don't worry.
12 cars on MoE server... ON A RACE DAY! In a series considered the "playground" of the best sim racers! But that's only history now....
I can see all of the people on moe IRC, I don't have to srcoll!!!

Even I could be the 4th fastest on the 24h - though i DO know that I'm not that fast. Just the very bests decided to leave LFS....

I'm a programmer, and I find InSim a very interesting and clever thing. Really well designed interface. However I just became familiar with it. But it's completely meaningless now to start to develop insim programs....

What will come next?????

WAKE UP Devs!!!! ... or something.... ehhhh.... it's too late..... LFS will definitely lose (or have already lost) it's position as the best online racing sim. It will remain a very very very good game, but not more.

Apart from the above I will buy all updates of LFS in the future - if there will be any - because I like it very much. The only thing I don't like is the situation that the best racers (who give motivation, etc.) aren't here anymore.
Quote from mihu86 :12 cars on MoE server... ON A RACE DAY! In a series considered the "playground" of the best sim racers! But that's only history now....

Know what you mean, I watched, two didn't qualify, and another 3 were out before the half-way point?

But yeah, if that's the pinnacle of LFS racing...
I totally agree with you, mihu.

12 cars in the end (6 GT1, 6 GT2)...a series which is supposed to be the best league in the whole game/simulation.

If I compare this race today with the MoE race right on the same day one year ago (KY2 final race)....that's so sad to see MoE being almost dead.

Just hope there will be many signups for the new IGTC season because GTAL is nearly done for this year and I don't see the point for driving in MoE anymore.,,
Quote from kimd41 :Actually, it was annunced more than 2 years ago.

But Scawen said there will be a good period of public testing, so don't worry.

added Thu, Dec 24th, 2010 14:00 that's the date, it's the second news post down, the one I am referring to.

And, it's been like I said going on 3 months, should have some kinda progress report once again. At least give a quarterly update.

Oh and for those who are telling me to go play S2 content, been there done that. This is not my first account, i forgot my pw and let the email close on my other one, didnt matter to me tho, was given a voucher from a friend.
I'll save Scawen the hassle.

Progress report 13/03/2011, we're still working on the patch. it's not ready.

thanks for your time.
Tell us something we don't already know.
Quote from arco :Tell us something we don't already know.

how to be patient...
we've been told to do that too already, something related to the development of LFS.
I understand that the tyre physics development really hard to code and stuff. But can't they give us at least a new track or a car? Or just a new combo? Or the long promised cockpit updates?
Quote from Nadeo4441 :I understand that the tyre physics development really hard to code and stuff. But can't they give us at least a new track or a car? Or just a new combo? Or the long promised cockpit updates?

nein! you are entitled to wait years!
Quote from Nadeo4441 :I understand that the tyre physics development really hard to code and stuff. But can't they give us at least a new track or a car? Or just a new combo? Or the long promised cockpit updates?

Yeah... It seems like they are just waiting for these tyre physics.
The annuncement of the S3 car would be enought.
I agree with edge, it's a bit frustrating hearing that there will be a update and then the devs just go silent for 4 months without any reports about progress so that you have no idea if it's ever coming out or not.
Yeah, it's completely up to them if they release any information or not, but interacting with your community is a good thing, especially when there's not much sales going on
Just as a reference, Dave Kaemmer is working on his new tyre model for over a year now... And Dave has a big investor and (thus?) access to extensive testing data, he even had a whole tyre testing facility at his disposal at one time! Scawen has only the data he can find with no investment from the outside and doesn't have a team of engineers to bounce ideas to... Still, both are out "soon"...

Scawen, you may (or not) know that I always understood and defended your position to delay something to make it right... I know from what I gathered about programming and tyre behaviour that you're wrestling with a hugely complex topic... Besides you, there are only 3 people in the whole world (one fourth retired) that have enough knowledge of both to be able to create a good racing simulator, so that speaks volume of the task you're working on...

That said, you get to say this only once:

Quote from Scawen :I'm sure it would have been different if we had known in advance how long this development stage would take, I guess we could have tried to plan other releases in the meantime. But it has always seemed like I was near to finishing the tyre physics, so no change of plan was required.

It seems that you have fallen into the same trap again... We all - well, at least most of us - can understand that a plan changes or that an obstacle proves harder to tackle than it looks initially, but you're making the same mistake again... Once is human, twice in a row - doesn't reflect that favourably...
Nice to pop in and see people are still telling Scawen and co how to do their job from the comfort of their armchair.

i'd love for once to see any of you lot get anywhere near close to the quality of LFS because talk is veerrryyy cheap. All talk... and it's really ALL talk... and no action...!!

Very few people take the risk to dedicate themselves to a project like this, and we're lucky enough to be invited onto the ride. How any of you can start telling the devs they are doing something 'wrong' is hilarious because it shows a totally lack of understanding of how projects like LFS work. But 'society' is full of this type of character.

Just incase Scawen does read this... keep up the good work man!
Quote from Intrepid :
Just incase Scawen does read this... keep up the good work man!

Aye hope your weeks been better then mine, same goes for rest of the team, keep on pushing forward, that is how winning is done
Quote from bbman :Just as a reference, Dave Kaemmer is working on his new tyre model for over a year now... And Dave has a big investor and (thus?) access to extensive testing data, he even had a whole tyre testing facility at his disposal at one time! Scawen has only the data he can find with no investment from the outside and doesn't have a team of engineers to bounce ideas to... Still, both are out "soon"...

Scawen, you may (or not) know that I always understood and defended your position to delay something to make it right... I know from what I gathered about programming and tyre behaviour that you're wrestling with a hugely complex topic... Besides you, there are only 3 people in the whole world (one fourth retired) that have enough knowledge of both to be able to create a good racing simulator, so that speaks volume of the task you're working on...

That said, you get to say this only once:

It seems that you have fallen into the same trap again... We all - well, at least most of us - can understand that a plan changes or that an obstacle proves harder to tackle than it looks initially, but you're making the same mistake again... Once is human, twice in a row - doesn't reflect that favourably...

They would have had all the money in the world if they had licensed out their game engine, i know for a fact MANY companies tried licensing it (big companies, with big capital obviously) and he blatantly refused all inquiries. Imagine what LFS would be today if he had decided to license it out... complete! why? easy, he cant procrastinate, right now he can procrastinate for as long as he wants, with only the clients moaning, but if it where to be a big company asking for certain features he had promised for licensing he would be under a deadline, which would mean no time to remodel the kitchen, or basement, or procrastinate. Its human nature to take the path of least resistance, in this case the path is no obligation to anyone.
-
(hp999) DELETED by hp999 : Felt like it would start a flame war. Meh.
This thread is closed

Progress Report December 2010
(1653 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG