The online racing simulator
Quote from vourliotis :In other cases, open the task manager and set affinity for LFS.exe to one only core (so you didnt need to turn off the other cores).

Exactly what I meant when I said "I turn off remaining three cores", sorry for my bad translation. See this post.

Quote :If you have CnQ enabled, when you run only one core is always running at max MHz (2500MHz i think) but when are all the cores enabled, the load isnt too much to keep the CPU running at high frequency.

The problem is that LFS works better when CnQ is enabled and process of LFS uses only one core at 800MHz than when CnQ is disabled and process of LFS uses all 4 cores where each core is 2,6 GHz.
Quote from The Very End :Last time I checked it was

Edit: Ha! Dawedust you hamrider (no need to explain that word), your too slow!

bump
anywhen (srsly close to early 2009) scawen said he will remove the alpha tag because lfs is stable
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Actually it is. Technically the version is 0.5Z28 Alpha... 0.6 will be Beta stage (likely)

he also sayed a loooong time before that, that lfs will be beta when a couple of things are done (dont remember what exactly anymore) but for example weshill updates and parts breaking of the car will be there. so its kinda impossible that 0.6 would be beta
Attached images
alpha.png
Quote from John5200 :parts breaking of the car will be there. so its kinda impossible.

You know I really hope they don't, You don't know how hard it would be to model that parts not flipping and flying all over the place if a car is heavily lagging, Not to mention the lag hits. It's hard enough to drive with a car that just got thrown in a lag blender with it set on smoothie, (Not bashing lag, I love it ) So now we are going to get cars that have parts flying all over the place from one of those hits. HOWEVER! It would be very intense and make a new racing line if parts were still on track, However I hope parts would be somewhat linked to you so if you pitted, The parts would teleport off the track and back onto you, Or if you spectate they disappear. It would be unfair for someone to puncture a tire on someones parts as revenge..

If a dev could comment maybe how they would work that out, It would be very interesting for the programmers, And raise the morale!
I Accually Cant Wait, This is Guna Be Awesome! When These Finally Get Released Would they Be In An LFS Updated? Or Would We Have To Download Them Separately?
Quote from LFSMasterMan :I Accually Cant Wait, This is Guna Be Awesome! When These Finally Get Released Would they Be In An LFS Updated? Or Would We Have To Download Them Separately?

they will launch the updates on a full LFS installer as always...if you're talking about test patches, then the devs give you the option of downloading a patch to update your current game or a full LFS instance with the update included. (and please don't write like that, it gives me impression)
Quote from TehPaws3D : snip

I think it might be possible quite easy (IMO, maybe it´s still hard as hell), but LFS recognizes if a player is lagging (you all know the bars telling you all about the packages per second and so on stuff (in the bottom left corner I think it is). If someone starts to lag, it goes into the red area, if you start lagging, all players are in the red area. So if LFS sees that you / some one is lagging, the lagging player gets put into some sort of ghost car mode. I think it should not be tooooooooooooo hard for our experienced coder
Quote from John5200 :the lagging player gets put into some sort of ghost car mode. I think it should not be tooooooooooooo hard for our experienced coder

There are a number of reasons I think this is a bad idea:
  • The current AI in LFS is very bad, so relying on it to drive the car until the player stops lagging is a recipe for disaster.
  • How would the speed of the ghost driver be chosen? Would the previous split times and/or laptimes be used? What about LFSW history with the given car/track? You can't have a "one speed fits all" solution because everyone's different.
  • How many mistakes should the ghost driver make? If the human guest driver it's replacing has spun on all of the previous laps should the ghost driver also spin?
  • Devoting time to improve the AI in order to implement this 'solution' is time wasted, IMO. It could be much better spent in improving other areas of the simulation and introducing new features.
Of course, I'm not saying the current situation is perfect (far from it), it just doesn't make a lot of sense to me to burn a lot of time attempting to cover up a user problem.
Quote from amp88 :There are a number of reasons I think this is a bad idea:
  • The current AI in LFS is very bad, so relying on it to drive the car until the player stops lagging is a recipe for disaster.
  • How would the speed of the ghost driver be chosen? Would the previous split times and/or laptimes be used? What about LFSW history with the given car/track? You can't have a "one speed fits all" solution because everyone's different.
  • How many mistakes should the ghost driver make? If the human guest driver it's replacing has spun on all of the previous laps should the ghost driver also spin?
  • Devoting time to improve the AI in order to implement this 'solution' is time wasted, IMO. It could be much better spent in improving other areas of the simulation and introducing new features.
Of course, I'm not saying the current situation is perfect (far from it), it just doesn't make a lot of sense to me to burn a lot of time attempting to cover up a user problem.

I think he meant that the car gets "ghost" so that you wont crash/fly when he lags... the player still controls the car, but it just makes it unable to destroy the race for everyone else...

I dont se how this is gonna be done to make it work in a good way..
Quote from amp88 :There are a number of reasons I think this is a bad idea:

no no no what I mean is, when you are "comming back after the lag" and your car is in someone else car, the cars will... have some wired behavior. So what I mean is that the car will be in some sort of ghost car thing (so that you cant drive into that) while someone else is driving in your car.

like in the first seconds here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ69vV8hupo (btw. that lolipop thing is sooooooooo bad in this game, look at that, he was first when he came into the pit and last when he went out o.O)

instead of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RHZLHved_0
Quote from John5200 :no no no what I mean is, when you are "comming back after the lag" and your car is in someone else car, the cars will... have some wired behavior. So what I mean is that the car will be in some sort of ghost car thing (so that you cant drive into that) while someone else is driving in your car.

like in the first seconds here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ69vV8hupo (btw. that lolipop thing is sooooooooo bad in this game, look at that, he was first when he came into the pit and last when he went out o.O)

instead of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RHZLHved_0

OK, I see what you're proposing now. Sorry for my misunderstanding. The problem with that proposal then is what happens if the lagging player comes back and his/her car is intersecting another car? Does the "ghost" mode continue until the cars are no longer intersecting (and at that point the cars are both capable of hitting each other)?
Quote from amp88 :OK, I see what you're proposing now. Sorry for my misunderstanding. The problem with that proposal then is what happens if the lagging player comes back and his/her car is intersecting another car? Does the "ghost" mode continue until the cars are no longer intersecting (and at that point the cars are both capable of hitting each other)?

I remember a race in F1 Challenge game. The player in front of me was in his fourth lap as ghost, and just the moment before I tried to go throught him he had a good moment in his connection and we both were out of race

(It's ironic how we had to retire due to good connection )
Quote from AcesHigh :I think he meant that the car gets "ghost" so that you wont crash/fly when he lags... the player still controls the car, but it just makes it unable to destroy the race for everyone else...

I dont se how this is gonna be done to make it work in a good way..

A system like that would result people abusing it to get past barriers/etc. Not a good idea.
It would just retire you if you went out of bounds... Right?

Anyway, Most people that join S2 is to race, So some demo servers would be in complete chaos.. Just means they need some better auto spectator
The ghost thing.. how its working in need for speed world?
Quote from herki :A system like that would result people abusing it to get past barriers/etc. Not a good idea.

You didn't get it right. You are a ghost to other players, so they can't crash due to the lag, nobody said that you would be able to fly in the sky or hide behind the walls.
Quote from Whiskey :You didn't get it right. You are a ghost to other players, so they can't crash due to the lag, nobody said that you would be able to fly in the sky or hide behind the walls.

But I would be able to fool LFS into thinking my connection was bad, enter ghost mode, and then overtaking becomes rather easy
Yeah, it'd not even be that hard. For me, if I was in OSX, I could restrict my firewall into dropping packets or just limit upstream severely (bare minimum to maintain connection).

most software firewalls can do that.
I guess it would make the cars unable to draft/move, Basically if you lagged bad enough you would be unregistered from the server for awhile until you joined back. However, You would still be moving.
Approach t1 on BL1 at speed of 250 km/h.
Just b4 the turn mash prtscr button hoping it would produce enough lag (In some games it works)
????????
Pretend it was a lag
guys.. it would be like car reset, Instead of it waiting for a yellow flag to not come out, You just stay ghosted UNTIL you are A; Out of another car B; Up to race speed, It would kinda be a safety.. It's not to be used as a advantage, Car reset instantly stops you
Quote from jasonmatthews :
I can completely understand that physics take a long time etc etc, but we, as committed members of the community, deserve to know what kind of time frame we are working to here (IMHO)... Will it take weeks? Months? Another 2 years?

Whatever that may be, please let us know, then we can move on to other sims if we so wish, and come back to LFS when the patch is released (maybe).

The present situation, where we have no idea if the patch could be released in the next week, or next 10 years, is really not the best way to treat us IMHO....

here here

A projected time frame would be very much appreciated. Its not fair to leave us in the dark like this. Quaterly update anyone?
Quote from jasonmatthews :It has been quite a few months now since the last progress report, and even Scavier must have to admit that the patience of even the most avid LFS customer is being pushed here....

Any chance of another progress report?

I would prefer a patch of course, but in the absence of that, surely we deserve some news to keep us going?
Are we expected to wait forever?
It gets quite hard to motivate a team, aswell as myself, to keep fighting to keep the team interested in LFS, a team that has taken 8 years to build. When they want to move to other sims, what am I supposed to say? The new patch is coming soon?

I did that 2 years ago, now it really is getting a bit much.....

I can completely understand that physics take a long time etc etc, but we, as committed members of the community, deserve to know what kind of time frame we are working to here (IMHO)... Will it take weeks? Months? Another 2 years?

Whatever that may be, please let us know, then we can move on to other sims if we so wish, and come back to LFS when the patch is released (maybe).

The present situation, where we have no idea if the patch could be released in the next week, or next 10 years, is really not the best way to treat us IMHO....

Scawen
pleaase! It's almost a Friday. Maybe you should give us a bit report instead of nothing
Would please us all... for another 2-5 weeks
Soon are Christmas here.... again..
And then early this year too /I hope not /
I'm sure if Scawen knew how long it was going to take he would have said by now.

From the sounds of it, he's experimenting with lots of different ways of doing things and he doesn't know what's going to work until he's tried it. As things stand, we've got a working sim, so he's understandably in no rush to release anything. Not unless it's going to be the improvement he's aiming for.

These things are difficult to judge. Bear in mind that not a lot of developers are working on this stuff, and nobody's going to be sharing ideas or code with their commercial competitors. So it's trial and error and a lot of unknowns.

You just have to accept that Scawen doesn't know when it will be ready any more than you do, so there's nothing he can tell you.
For some reason I look at these forums every single day. I really hope, every day, that when I load this page up I'll see something new, but it's always the same.

This topic feels a lot like a place where people can... share their wait. Or perhaps is it a place where they can let go of their hopes?

I don't even bother trying to decipher Scawen's methods anymore. I just load the page up and hope. I still do, because I know Scawen won't stop. I know he won't, he's doing this for himself. Not for any of us. Scawen has been working on his game all this time, and nobody's going to stop him from completing it, not even time.

To me, Scawen is the most unusual developer. In a usual corporation, he'd be the guy nobody would ever hear about, but that would come up with a few genius ideas every once in a while. The hidden key to great success. To be honest, I think his skills at what he does are awesome, but his managing skills are lacking, abysmally so. This is what you end up with...
This thread is closed

[OLD] Tyre Physics Progress Report
(4434 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG