The online racing simulator
Quote from mrodgers :I got lucky!

Hard drive crashed, then Wifey broke Windows and the computer won't boot. I was able to move all my photos off the drive onto the Windows drive before it all went completely kaput. I was able to boot to Ubuntu running off a CD, grabbed a 500 gig external drive, and get everything on C: saved to the external so I can reformat and restore Windows (OEM install, no stinkin CD to repair it with.

Unfortunately, I still had all my edited photos, many of them edited for personal use on screensavers and such, plus I had a "sort" folder that wasn't completely empty yet that I lost. I'm still trying to get the hard drive recognized on boot up one more time, but I think it's a lost cause. Maybe it will be there once more after I get windows reloaded.

But at least I didn't lose the 30 gig of originals nor did I lose my Lightroom database. Though, I did lose the program Lightroom (shhhh, I won't tell why I lost it and can't just reinstall from the CD... )

This http://gizmodo.com/312747/hdd- ... rives-like-nes-cartridges

+ Pile of bare hard disks

Best cheap-ass backup system available. (Get the eSATA version for faster transfers)

And dude, just buy Lightroom. Sheesh.
Quote from mrodgers :I got lucky!

Hard drive crashed, then Wifey broke Windows and the computer won't boot. I was able to move all my photos off the drive onto the Windows drive before it all went completely kaput. I was able to boot to Ubuntu running off a CD, grabbed a 500 gig external drive, and get everything on C: saved to the external so I can reformat and restore Windows (OEM install, no stinkin CD to repair it with.

Unfortunately, I still had all my edited photos, many of them edited for personal use on screensavers and such, plus I had a "sort" folder that wasn't completely empty yet that I lost. I'm still trying to get the hard drive recognized on boot up one more time, but I think it's a lost cause. Maybe it will be there once more after I get windows reloaded.

But at least I didn't lose the 30 gig of originals nor did I lose my Lightroom database. Though, I did lose the program Lightroom (shhhh, I won't tell why I lost it and can't just reinstall from the CD... )

For lightroom you should buy it for your daughter for school --->http://www.studica.com/product ... ;p_name=Adobe-Lightroom-2
or the place I bought mine from. But it seems to be offline today.--->www.academicsuperstore.com

Your harddrive might have info on it you still want so try this program. It is regarded by experts as one of the best and cheapest. --->http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

Hope you get it sorted!!
To be brutally honest, lightroom is pants!

I tried it out for a while and it was just an arse to setup to my liking, and I couldn't really get as good results as I could from the good old photoshop.
Depends how many photos you edit in a month. If you are only doing a few then it might not be needed. But if you are editing hundreds like some of us in this thread it is the biggest time saver EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is also the best organizer and Raw editor I have found.
Quote from Toddshooter :Depends how many photos you edit in a month. If you are only doing a few then it might not be needed. But if you are editing hundreds like some of us in this thread it is the biggest time saver EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is also the best organizer and Raw editor I have found.

The point was that if the program gets used on a regular basis perhaps he should just cough up the money for it.

Quote from mcintyrej :To be brutally honest, lightroom is pants!

I tried it out for a while and it was just an arse to setup to my liking, and I couldn't really get as good results as I could from the good old photoshop.

If we are discussing RAW conversion quality, the Photoshop/Bridge uses the exact same ACR conversion engine than Lightroom. So you get identical results in the conversion phase. Where you go from that point is up to you. Besides LR isn't meant to replace Photoshop but instead fill the gaps in the Adobe-centered workflow where PS and Bridge can't do well.
Quote from spankmeyer :The point was that if the program gets used on a regular basis perhaps he should just cough up the money for it.

I know, see my earlier post. This post was a reply to Jack.
To be honest, I only used it for organizing and didn't edit much with it. I was just lazy to switch over to this that I found and downloaded...

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopalbum/starter.html

It was free, but I see that it is no longer available. Gahhh! That download was also on my hard drive that quit working. I'm sure I could find an old download of this easily enough though.

Oh, and as for the suggestion of buying for my daughter to get the student discount, that would be just as illegal. She would be the one licensed to use it, not me. It would still be against the license for me to use it.

The one thing that I didn't like about Photoshop and every other program I've tried that Lightroom did well at is cropping. In Lightroom, you crop and can move the image around within that crop. In other editors, you have to move the crop lines around and I could never figure out how to do that in Photoshop without having to completely redraw the crop box. Tis the same with Paintshop Pro, which I have a very old edition.
No the license is for a single computer not a person.
Couple snapshots from the last warm summer weekend of 2009. The shoot kind of fell flat as to this day I still don't know what I was aiming for but oh well, lessons, lessons...

Looks good to me. Sometimes the flat one has more expression then the other one. I like the first one.
superb lens...
is that cat a lol one?
What would be the best Point-And-Shoot digital camera? I'm looking for one around 200€ To have an extra compact camera besides my dSLR
Quote from Scrabby :What would be the best Point-And-Shoot digital camera? I'm looking for one around 200€ To have an extra compact camera besides my dSLR

The Panasonic LX3 is generally considered to be one of the best point & shoots around. You might be able to find one used around that price.

The new Canon S90 also looks very interesting, with its around-the-lens ring for various control functions.
In other news, I'm selling my K20D, my Sigma 17-70, my Sigma 10-20, and the 1000mm prime and picking up the K-7 and its grip, K-x, and the Pentax (rebranded Tokina for other makes) 12-24. Should be a fun ride.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :The Panasonic LX3 is generally considered to be one of the best point & shoots around. You might be able to find one used around that price.

The new Canon S90 also looks very interesting, with its around-the-lens ring for various control functions.

I agree,the LX3 is a good compact camera and has a nice 24-60 f/2.0-2.8
Really recommended.
The S90 looks quite good too.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :In other news, I'm selling my K20D, my Sigma 17-70, my Sigma 10-20, and the 1000mm prime and picking up the K-7 and its grip, K-x, and the Pentax (rebranded Tokina for other makes) 12-24. Should be a fun ride.

Why have you chosen to buy 2 bodies?
What color will your K-x be?
Quote from Don :http://don.vn.cz/photos/omfg_20cm/

Snow already?
Our photography clubs' monthly competition subject is either "Still Life" or "Autumn"...this is my submission. I just wish that my new f1.8 lens had arrived in time...but it didn't.
Attached images
conkers.jpg
Quote from Bladerunner :Our photography clubs' monthly competition subject is either "Still Life" or "Autumn"...this is my submission. I just wish that my new f1.8 lens had arrived in time...but it didn't.

Quite nice, but why so noisy?
Quote from Tomba(FIN) :Quite nice, but why so noisy?

As I said..waiting for my f1.8 macro..bloody silly lens I have at the moment only opened to f4.8, didn't want to use a flash, so had to up the ISO to 400 to avoid major under-exposure.
Quote from Bladerunner :As I said..waiting for my f1.8 macro..bloody silly lens I have at the moment only opened to f4.8, didn't want to use a flash, so had to up the ISO to 400 to avoid major under-exposure.

Ah, ok. Where was that pic taken from as if the light was so bad?

Camera Showoff
(5560 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG