The online racing simulator
If you said "I shot this pic at 12800 iso" back in the film era people would have just laughed at you
Spank,i don't really like them,perhaps you are right when you say you were uninspired
Quote from IlGuercio :If you said "I shot this pic at 12800 iso" back in the film era people would have just laughed at you
Spank,i don't really like them,perhaps you are right when you say you were uninspired

12800 just ISO 1600 pushed 3 stops and on film it would probably look much cooler!

And thanks for the honest feedback too!
Quote from IlGuercio :If you said "I shot this pic at 12800 iso" back in the film era people would have just laughed at you

My Canon A-1's iso dial goes up to 12800

Content:
Quote from DeadWolfBones :So I've got my first semi-pro photo gig this weekend...

The company I work for is handling marketing a certain actress's ranch out here, and they want to do a "photo book" for it, which is one of their general marketing strategies. Unfortunately, all the photos they have for the place are very real estate-y, and they want a lot of artsier/more atmospheric shots to round out the book. Some people around the office have seen my stuff and it was suggested in a meeting that I take a crack at it.

Because I lack experience/confidence with this kind of shooting I'm not charging them anything more than time-and-a-half my normal hourly rate. I figure if it goes well I can use it as a calling card for future gigs.

Woohoo?

Some selected shots from that day:

The weather wasn't 100% cooperative and I was sort of learning as I went w/r/t architectural photography, but it was fun, I got paid, and the designers liked the photos. So I guess it's fine.
Hi guys,

For my Photography A level we are taking pictures based on other photographers styles and techniques. I have taken this and then edited it:

I was wondering if anyone knows a photographer, whether they are amateur or well known that uses a technique of mixing colour and black and white, like above. Will really appreciate it if anyone knows of any, thanks!
I don't know any photographer which makes use of this tecnique but...
I can't really appreciate partial desaturations,they make me think the picture was bad or the subject wasn't clear so the one who shot it decided not to throw it into the bin but to make it look like it's cool without an apparent reason.
If i look at your picture i feel the urge to say:"Why?",what is the purpose of having a grey(not much black nor white there) background and a yellow jumper?I can't really understand it,the action is good but the environment is distracting in the upper area.
For me this tecnique is almost completely useless.
I wouldn't describe it as a photographic technique. It's a graphic technique.

I've only seen it used once effectively, in the film Schindler's List. It was emotive and it worked, but for me that was its once-only usage, never to be repeated.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Some selected shots from that day:

The weather wasn't 100% cooperative and I was sort of learning as I went w/r/t architectural photography, but it was fun, I got paid, and the designers liked the photos. So I guess it's fine.

Excellent stuff but... wait... you complain about the weather while you have that kind of scenery around?

You should come here to to shoot - no light and year-round snowy slush. They even import solar panels fully recharged to here so we could use them as batteries.
Quote from Alex_Ward :I was wondering if anyone knows a photographer, whether they are amateur or well known that uses a technique of mixing colour and black and white, like above. Will really appreciate it if anyone knows of any, thanks!

Can't give you any names nor links to actual photos, but whenever I see something like that, it's usually red-ish and b/w, rarely ever anything else, perhaps blue. Very cold or very warm, definitely the extremes.
Your shot is good, but somewhat lifeless. I think the partial desaturation, as IlGuercio so eloquently put it, only works for romantic/erotic or cold/sinister subjects, not so much for action shots like yours.

I'll let my imagination go bonkers for a moment:
  • A dog, black background, blood dripping from its mouth, only the blood in colour, perhaps oversaturated, everything else b/w.
  • Strawberries on a curvaceous girl, probably just the torso, only the strawberries in colour.
  • Portrait of someone with blue eyes, neutral or hostile expression, only the eyes in colour.
Makes me wanna have a go myself
Hmm, well we were just told to experiment with the photos in different ways and I was just messing around and came up with that. I'll have a look into Schindlers list, see if I can find anything there. Thanks
Quote from morpha :Can't give you any names nor links to actual photos, but whenever I see something like that, it's usually red-ish and b/w, rarely ever anything else, perhaps blue. Very cold or very warm, definitely the extremes.
Your shot is good, but somewhat lifeless. I think the partial desaturation, as IlGuercio so eloquently put it, only works for romantic/erotic or cold/sinister subjects, not so much for action shots like yours.

I'll let my imagination go bonkers for a moment:
  • A dog, black background, blood dripping from its mouth, only the blood in colour, perhaps oversaturated, everything else b/w.
  • Strawberries on a curvaceous girl, probably just the torso, only the strawberries in colour.
  • Portrait of someone with blue eyes, neutral or hostile expression, only the eyes in colour.
Makes me wanna have a go myself

I agree with you nut i would go for partial desaturation just in case the subject is ALREADY clear.
I've seen so many pictures that deserved to be deleted yet its owner doesn't want to and tries to save it somehow by applying strange effect or absurd crops.If a picture is confused,if you wanted to highlight some of the colours but you couldn't,well,delete it.
I haven't been taking pics for a good 4 months now and the reason is i don't see anything good around me.
If i went shooting now i would just come back home with few pics and all going to be cancelled.
This isn't,of course,the case.The subject is clear apart from the desaturation and the action is good.If it was me i would have processed it differently,but that's another story.
Quote from Alex_Ward :Hmm, well we were just told to experiment with the photos in different ways and I was just messing around and came up with that. I'll have a look into Schindlers list, see if I can find anything there. Thanks

Though I strongly recommend watching the film on its own merits, here's the clip from the film... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaIUdIOB9j8
Quote from spankmeyer :Excellent stuff but... wait... you complain about the weather while you have that kind of scenery around?

You should come here to to shoot - no light and year-round snowy slush. They even import solar panels fully recharged to here so we could use them as batteries.

Well, it was more that I'd set up to take some shots of the house and then a giant cloud would pass in front of the sun and I'd sit around with my dick in my hand for 30 minutes waiting for the light to come back.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :

Well, it was more that I'd set up to take some shots of the house and then a giant cloud would pass in front of the sun and I'd sit around with my dick in my hand for 30 minutes waiting for the light to come back.

Try waiting for a month then. You'd get a mold.
I have this weird blue dot (upper right corner) on some of my recent Pictures. What could that be? I'm pretty sure it isn't dust since it appears on different areas on the pictures.

Could this come from the IR Remote?
Attached images
dot.jpg
Whoa, that's very weird.
That's very nasty indeed. Can we see an un-resized crop of the defect? Can't tell what it is from here.
100% Crop attached.
Attached images
dotnocrop.jpg
I'm shooting a rally in November and I've got a dilema.

I currently have a 350d and a 70-200L F/4, I could shoot the rally with this and get quite satisfactory pictures at no extra cost.

Or, I could rent either a higher end camera (50D or maybe even a 1Dmark3) or a really good lens like a Sigma 120-300 F/2.8.

The pictures are going to be sold so the better the pictures, the more chance I'm gonna have of selling more.

Advice please!
These are all by my friend who stole my original 44K-4. She's shy about self-promotion, so I offered to post them for her. ;]

(Includes some shots of yours truly.)

Quote from mcintyrej :I'm shooting a rally in November and I've got a dilema.

I currently have a 350d and a 70-200L F/4, I could shoot the rally with this and get quite satisfactory pictures at no extra cost.

Or, I could rent either a higher end camera (50D or maybe even a 1Dmark3) or a really good lens like a Sigma 120-300 F/2.8.

The pictures are going to be sold so the better the pictures, the more chance I'm gonna have of selling more.

Advice please!

I'd think the 70-200/4 would be more than sufficient for rallying (assuming good weather). I hear it's plenty sharp and there's no real need for f/2.8. Renting a higher-end body might be good, but you'd have to have time to familiarize yourself. Learning a new body on the job probably isn't the best idea.

Camera Showoff
(5560 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG