The online racing simulator
Snow. :lovies3d:
Attached images
sofasuchtdenwinterstar.jpg
Snow indeed We got a smattering earlier today, when it was light, but it's falling a bit more enthusiastically now and should look good tomorrow

I took a few today. Will hopefully get some nice ones tomorrow, before it all melts away again!

Attached images
DSC_8837.jpg
DSC_8856.jpg
DSC_8859.jpg
DSC_8869.jpg
DSC_8823.jpg
I'll get a shot of some snow as soon as we have some real snow for you all. Currently, we only have about as much as you, which I was out in my shorts and t-shirt not too long ago letting the dog out. It's warm, almost above freezing, and there's barely any snow .
Some pictures from today:

Forgive me if this has been done 20 million billion times - but I feel like conetemplating throwing my money away. If I were to chose to buy a camera, what would you recommend?

dSLR wise, under £300 ideally.

Shooting wise i'd use it for... everything, frankly.
Quote from Jakg :Forgive me if this has been done 20 million billion times - but I feel like conetemplating throwing my money away. If I were to chose to buy a camera, what would you recommend?

dSLR wise, under £300 ideally.

Shooting wise i'd use it for... everything, frankly.

Under 300GBP? I guess you'd be looking at used cameras, then?
TBH yeah - unless theres a big "dont do that you fool" thing I should know about.

Just been suggest the D40 / D40X which look ok second hand - I dont want to spend a lot of money because i'm not sure how much I will use it yet, and because i'm poor.
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :Reuters recently choose 100 photo's from the last decade...some of them quite stunning. Warning there may be some images which may be of a disturbing nature (if this is notallowed, I'm sure a mod will act swiftly).

Part 1: 2000 - 2005

Part 2: 2005 - 2009

I know most of the pictures are horrible, tho i cant keep from laughing at pict #37 in part 1. The policeman just sists there like he's thinking in the way of "what? normal day, drinking my drink" or something
Quote from Jakg :TBH yeah - unless theres a big "dont do that you fool" thing I should know about.

Just been suggest the D40 / D40X which look ok second hand - I dont want to spend a lot of money because i'm not sure how much I will use it yet, and because i'm poor.

Well, I don't really have a good grasp on UK used prices, so I'll defer to someone who knows what they're talking about.

I'd look for models 2-3 generations old. I know you can get a used K10D here in the USA for ~$300, which is a steal.
Quote from Jakg :TBH yeah - unless theres a big "dont do that you fool" thing I should know about.

You have a pretty dang nice (though a bit old now if it's the same one from way back at the start of the thread) bridge camera. So the question has to be, how much do you use the current camera? If you use it often enough, then certainly a dSLR is justified, even more so if you are looking in the used market.

I'd say, go for it, but I'd chose something more and better than a D40 if going used.
I use it a lot (well some days I wouldnt use it, others it would be ~300 shots per day...), but it's not really a bridge camera - it's a SLR-lookalike-point-and-shoot.

How long does and SLR last? I see people always mentioning shutter actuations :S
50k, 100k, maybe 200k, maybe even 300k ... My A200 has done 11020 so far, no problems at all.
You probably won't have the body long enough to have the shutter die on you, especially with an entry level body which you might soon replace with something better of the current generation
My Pentax K-m is at 23000 actuations, no problems yet.

Some snowy stuff.

Been -20c for a week now so haven't been able to go out much with my unsealed K-m
Quote from morpha :50k, 100k, maybe 200k, maybe even 300k ... My A200 has done 11020 so far, no problems at all.
You probably won't have the body long enough to have the shutter die on you, especially with an entry level body which you might soon replace with something better of the current generation

ah good

What about a Sony A200?

Can get one through work for £134.97 - no idea about lenses, mind.
keep in mind film, unless you get digital, i dont know anything about cameras, so dont flame for being a noob if i was :hide:

also film looks better, but digital is cheaper, and easier in many ways, so do you want quality, or price
I refuse to get a film camera. I am a digital sort of person (irrespective of picture quality).
Quote from Jakg :ah good

What about a Sony A200?

got an A200 myself, as an entry camera I think it's great. Has all the functions which you need only missing live view. The only minus to having a Sony is that the choice of Lens is limited when comparred to the likes of a Canon/Nikon.
I have a Nikon D60 since a few months.. nice body. I had a Canon snapshot but it got stolen out of my car, so I had a good excuse for stepping up to dslr. I mainly use it for automotive stuff, mostly trackdays. I bought the kit with the extra lense.. 55-200mm Nikkor.

I'm quit a noob though.. it's much fun but it takes lotsa patience.

yada1
yada2
yada3
yada4
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :got an A200 myself, as an entry camera I think it's great. Has all the functions which you need only missing live view. The only minus to having a Sony is that the choice of Lens is limited when comparred to the likes of a Canon/Nikon.

...except that there are a ton of old AF Minolta lenses for cheap on eBay.
Quote from Jakg :What about a Sony A200?

At that price, it's an absolute no brainer. It's a cracking little camera, and in terms of features and handling, considerably better than the shitty A230 which replaced it. I shoot with an A700, and often considered picking up an A200 as a backup body since they share the same batteries, memory cards, etc. I never did in the end and now there's only the A230/330/380 which are appallingly designed and crippled.

Lenses aren't really a concern any more - although they don't have the same range as Canikon, the only things missing are the speciality, niche pro-grade lenses that you wouldn't exactly be putting on an A200 anyway. All the usual standard zooms are available in varying designs and price tags, along with a few macros and primes to choose from, a new cheap 50mm/1.8 which is pretty decent, plus you can do wireless flash (once you buy a flashgun) "out the box" i.e. no extra cables, equipment, triggers required.
Ok - no idea if the A200 comes with lenses, though, need to check tomorrow...

Gutted I didnt look earlier, found a Sony A700 for £275 body only / £400 with kit lens, but all gone now... :/
Quote from logitekg25 :keep in mind film, unless you get digital, i dont know anything about cameras, so dont flame for being a noob if i was :hide:

also film looks better, but digital is cheaper, and easier in many ways, so do you want quality, or price

Umm.. hush
I (may) also be able to get the following:

Olympus E420 - £139.97

Pentax K-M - £229.97

Might those be better? unsure if body only or with lenses...
Quote from Jakg :Ok - no idea if the A200 comes with lenses, though, need to check tomorrow...

Gutted I didnt look earlier, found a Sony A700 for £275 body only / £400 with kit lens, but all gone now... :/

Pretty sure an A200 will come with the 18-70mm kit lens. Like most kit lenses it's nothing great but I used mine on my A100 for 1½ years and it's absolutely fine for general photography.

An A700 for £275 is such a bargain, it's almost criminal!

Camera Showoff
(5560 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG