The online racing simulator
In my opinion, no one is a ricer unless they try to make their car seem to do one thing when it actually can't. Like many other definitions for things, the boundary between tuner, ricer, racer and other things can be confused.

I'd have to say, after playing it on the PC with a wheel, this game does fairly well. It's still feels "detatched" as in the car doesn't give clear or responsive feedback and the controls are still late but it isn't too bad of an attempt and it seems like an easy fix.

However, they really need to fix the crashing bugs and graphics issues in the PC version. That's what really prevented me from buying a copy because every few plays of the demo, a weird graphics glitch happens (Ex.: Flag Girl's hair turns rainbow colored) and the game crashes almost immediately after.
you might have a tuner but not a ricer or racer, because you can tune it for other things.

you can rice a car but not tune it or prepare it for a race

and you can have a racer without being a ricer (of course) or tuning it, by buying a race-ready car.

i don't see any confusion.
I bought this game yesterday for PC and i have to say....After i got my G25 setup properly this game is blowing me away. Ok, the physics aren't top notch and the same can be said about the force feedback, but the total package this game delivers is just awesome. I know force feedback is an important aspect in racing games, this is one of the reasons i play LFS (FF in LFS is teh best). But Shift isn't that bad once you get a good setup for your wheel, i can post my wheel settings here if someone is interested

Awesome game. Can't wait to get back after school tomorrow and do some laps around the ring'
cant wait to get my hdmi cable so i can actually try i :rolleyes:

ya post your wheel settings please...profiler and in game if you can
Quote from mamoru :To all who are thinking I am crazy for buying LFS: For some reason LFS feels different. It is true that I like streetracing more than circuit but it is more that I like the handling of the car, the true feeling and the feeling that all that is happening would feel rather real. That is the big deal in games for me.

LFS has that; true car handling, realistic gaming, etc. Now, you may call me ricer or that my penis grows of what ever but the true thing is that in my list the true feeling has to come first. I don't really care about graphics or anything.

(and the reason I am drifting and cruising is because I always end up last in every race I do.. so then I go drift : D )

Good answer Mr. mamoru !
Sorry for the ricer tag... I just liked the smiley with the panel.
And for the ones who did not read all the previous posts, i'm not the one who talked about his wiener cuz I don't think a game forum is an appropriate place to put this kind of comments. ;p

Dont tell to anyone but I do some time have a lot of fun with games like Underground2 or enjoy puting lots of stickers on my LFS skins...

And about the fact that you end up last in every races... JOIN THE CLUB !!!

Me I care more about keeping my !safe rating high than been on the podium... podiums are the climax coming after a clean and neat race.

I can be first on 16, if I crashed someone out in the race, I wont enjoy the podium.

Have fun and keep posting about the feel and touch of games you try.
tuner = the person who changes things under hood
ricer = the person who changes exterior.
Quote from Shadowww :tuner = the person who changes things under hood
ricer = the person who changes exterior.

Not excactly, a ricer is a name given to someone who is changing the exterior of a japanese car to make it look fast while it really is not.
Quote from logitekg25 :cant wait to get my hdmi cable so i can actually try i :rolleyes:

ya post your wheel settings please...profiler and in game if you can

Here you go. Profiler language is in Norwegian, but i guess the layout is the same anyways...

Enjoy
Attached images
Shiftsettings1.jpg
Shiftsettings2.jpg
Quote from mamoru :Not excactly, a ricer is a name given to someone who is changing the exterior of a japanese car to make it look fast while it really is not.

Believe me, low bumpers, spoilers etc look much more fugly on American "muscle" dyno-queens track-queers, than on proper japanese cars.
Low bumpers, spoilers, big wheels with low profile tires, vented hoods, rolled fenders, blabla. All of this looks fugly on any car where it wasn't stock. In fact, even if you just install other wheels on a car and lower it... you're already a "ricer" in my book.

Best way is to leave a car stock. And if it doesn't look like a sports car, it's probably because it isn't. You're better off buying a proper sportscar instead of making a non-sports car look like it's pretending to be one.

Tuning is for kids.

*slips into flame-proof suit*
Quote from jibber :And if it doesn't look like a sports car, it's probably because it isn't.

So you can't install a wing on your 300+ km/h capable BMW M5 just because it would look "ricer"? :3
Did it need a wing to begin with? No it didn't.

If you're going to use it on a track, it might help, yes, but take it to the track then.

If i see you next to me at a red light, with a BMW and a big ass wing on it, i don't care if it's an M5... it still makes you look like an idiot IMO.
Quote from Shadowww :So you can't install a wing on your 300+ km/h capable BMW M5 just because it would look "ricer"? :3

Legally the fastest you can go in most EU countries is 120km/h (we'll except the autobahn and any other slightly higher limits, in Ireland and UK the highest posted limit is 120km/h...), which my 1.0L Yaris can absolutely demolish, with no spoilers or any aftermarket accessories (still has 12" steelies <3), and still stick to the road at 170km/h. You just look like a twat bolting plastic onto an otherwise mediocre car, if it was necessary to have it the engineers would have decided it needed it

As for the new NFS, it's not bad. It's not terrific either though. It runs fine, and I haven't had any problems, but setting up the graphics took 90 minutes alone. Every time I tried to add AA in game, it wanted me to restart, and then all my settings were restored. I had to force it in the Nvidia control panel, but it does work. It works well too, I get a solid 60FPS playing at 1828x1028 (stupid new Nvidia drivers don't allow me to resize the desktop like I used to...) with 4xAA, 4xAF and all settings on full, other than motion blur which is at setting 2 so I don't feel like my retinas are melting after hitting 200km/h.

I'm using a PS3 pad to play, so that I don't try and drive it as if it were a sim, as it feels horrible then. But I still have wheel settings, as in speed sensitivity off, no assists, full physics, etc. It feels pretty good to drive, most of the cars are predictable enough, and they don't feel rFactor-y near the limit, it feels very much like LFS when trying to keep a drifting RWD under control, which feels right. I like how it's more focused on tuning the car rather than buying bolt-on plastic bumpers, as it feels a bit more simmish (which is what they were aiming for overall, right?). There's even pre-made liveries which is a great improvement, as I can have my car looking good without having to spend hours drafting up custom liveries.

I've only been playing it for a few hours, but my highlights were the Lotus invitational at the Ring, which felt amazing. I got near the top of the pack after a couple of corners, but the leaders put up a very good battle. Threshold braking to within a couple of inches of the bumper of the guy in front after making a sweep across to take him on the inside was brilliant for example, and provided a fantastic replay. Taking the tier 2 E46 M3 (I believe, can't remember?) around Spa felt awesome, the visuals are incredible and really make up for the slightly dodgy handling. Coming downhill into Eau Rouge was a great highlight so far, it felt very realistic (can't say the same about the handling once I reached the top of the hill, but that's another story...).

As a whole the game is brilliant if you want a crossover between arcade and sim. It's certainly not a full sim (LFS), it's more sim than arcade though. It reminds me of rFactor with much better visuals, and slightly improved physics and handling
Quote from dougie-lampkin :Legally the fastest you can go in most EU countries is 120km/h

Tell that to Ghost Rider

There are no laws at night
Ugh, that endurance event with 30 laps around figure-8 track is so bad. It quickly becomes a full-on destruction derby and trackside objects like those big and heavy sandbags get littered all across the track making every lap different as you're trying to find a clean line through all that.
Attached images
broken_vette1.jpg
broken_vette2.jpg
130kph but ok
Quote from LFSn00b :According to you, this isn't rice then?
< image of ugly car >

nah, that is just ugly :P xd

btw: If it is ugly then you can make fun of it all the way, but just because people like to style up their cars to their likings you cannot really call them a ricer imo just because you do not like it.
Quote from Crommi :Ugh, that endurance event with 30 laps around figure-8 track is so bad. It quickly becomes a full-on destruction derby and trackside objects like those big and heavy sandbags get littered all across the track making every lap different as you're trying to find a clean line through all that.

The graphics are great. On my computer I can only run medium settings so it looks shit compared
Quote :It reminds me of rFactor with much better visuals, and slightly improved physics and handling

The graphics are lovely.. really nice textures for the road and tracks, and the car interiors are excellent. I find the blurring effect to be a distraction, and the way the screen desaturates when you hit something. These things aren't needed, but I haven't looked at whether it's possible to turn off yet.

Not sure about the handling. Using the keys is next to impossible, with a G25 I'm faring better but I don't think I've got it set up properly yet- the first thing I had to do was decrease from 100% lock, which was totally unmanageable, 50% was better but perhaps still not ideal. The car feels O.K. but very underwhelming and coarse in contrast to nkPro which I've been running a lot lately. I can't compare to rFactor...

Looks like a fun game- the menus are a little crazy and over the top but that's to be expected in a game like this. I find it amusing that you are rewarded for driving like a reckless fool just as you would for smooth and consistent driving. Seems the game wants everyone to feel like they're driving champions, no matter how crazy or incompetent they are on the road. Again, I won't criticise too heavily here because it's obviously a design choice they've taken to appeal to a diverse audience.

Tons of cars, tons of tracks (can't say how close to realistic they are but who cares with a game like NFS?)- all looking high quality.

Thumbs up so far
I got Shift to run pretty nice now on my PC. Could some people suggest some settings in-game and in logitech profiler for the G25, please?
Quote from Bose321 :I got Shift to run pretty nice now on my PC. Could some people suggest some settings in-game and in logitech profiler for the G25, please?

How? Ati fix?
Quote from dougie-lampkin :Lotus invitational at the Ring, which felt amazing. I got near the top of the pack after a couple of corners, but the leaders put up a very good battle. Threshold braking to within a couple of inches of the bumper of the guy in front after making a sweep across to take him on the inside was brilliant for example, and provided a fantastic replay. Taking the tier 2 E46 M3 (I believe, can't remember?) around Spa felt awesome, the visuals are incredible and really make up for the slightly dodgy handling. Coming downhill into Eau Rouge was a great highlight so far

+1 to everything said here, Game actually gives you some good memorable racing situations...
My Highlights so far are

1. Racing a 1vs1 race in my Silvia S14 vs a Mazda RX7 (which is one class higher), nitrousing the whole lap, and barely keeping the car in check just to win by a few meters.

2. Nissan GTR going down into the corkscrew, with a Corvette driving right in front of me. Braked much later than him, caught up so much, that couldn't see anything except his rear, blindly went to the left, and got on the gas and 3 wheeled down into the right hander, still pretty much not seing the track, but his rear. Weirdest thing is, I think the game considered the corner as mastered at that point.
Quote from Takumi_lfs :How? Ati fix?

8x AA. Vsync on, and in CCC Triple buffering on. Seems to be the best combo so far. ATi fix isn't possible, since it
s PissX, so the game need to be patched.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG