The online racing simulator
i bought that lens about half year ago as replacement of my kitlens - tbh its not that big difference image quality wise...so basically you get some bigger focal length range and f2.8 at wide end, which is nice...

dunno if its just my piece (wouldnt be surprised with my luck on lens), or if each sigma acts like shit sometimes? http://don.vn.cz/temp/repo/sigmasucks.jpg

EDIT: actually when browsing my photos from last rally, i took most of the pics with that lens, so you can check yourself - (take a look at exif and whatever is below 70mm is taken with teh sigma) http://rallyphotos.cz/photos/vyskov09/
Quote from Tomba(FIN) :I'm more into a good lens for ~300euros price. I'm going for either sigma or canon lenses. I don't trust any else brand

Tamron is generally on-par with Sigma in terms of IQ, and sometimes better (c.f. the 70-200mm f/2.8 zooms). Sigma build quality is generally superior, I'll grant you.

I don't know much about Canon lenses, so I'll leave this one to the experts.

edit: I have the Sigma 17-70 and like it a lot for the range and aperture versatility, though I also have the (constant f/2.8) Tamron 28-75, which is slightly sharper and would be perfect if it were as wide as the Sigma. All of the cloud/gorge/bridge shots from my last photo post are with the Sigma, as are the non-superwide lake shots. Here are some more: http://deadwolfbones.smugmug.c ... -Test-Shots/9199243_NMg2L
Seems to be a good lens by looking those photos, but I'm not sure about the focal length. I came across with Sigma's 18-125. I don't know what I need but it would be good to have a lens that could take good pics from a longer distance too. So now it's this 18-125mm versus 17-70mm, if you don't come up with something else.. How can this be so hard
The longer the focal range the more compromises you make with regard to image quality, and especially aperture width. Note that the Tammy 28-75 is f/2.8 constant while the Siggy 17-70 is f/2.8-4.5. The best solution would be to get a good lens to cover the 17-70 range and another good one to cover the 70-200/300 range.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Some reviews of the 18-125 here:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/rev ... t=7&cat=37&page=1
http://www.photographyreview.c ... m/PRD_331080_3128crx.aspx
http://www.pentaxforums.com/us ... hp?product=459&cat=74

(Yeah, I know these are for the non-OS, non-HSM version, but they're optically identical as far as I can tell.)

Looks good, do you have idea of how far distance could 125mm do without not too much of quality loss? I mean if I crop the pic etc..

Quote from DeadWolfBones :The longer the focal range the more compromises you make with regard to image quality, and especially aperture width. Note that the Tammy 28-75 is f/2.8 constant while the Siggy 17-70 is f/2.8-4.5. The best solution would be to get a good lens to cover the 17-70 range and another good one to cover the 70-200/300 range.

Yeah that's what I though first, but I can't seem to find any good 70-200/300 lens with a price lower than 400euros.
And the tamron's price is a bit over than 400euros, first I though that I could buy a telezoom and that tammy but gah..
I got the Tammy 28-75 for $180 used on eBay, but to be fair that's a pretty rare deal.

Got the Sigma 17-70 for $215 via the Pentaxforums marketplace.
just thought i'd let y'all know my olympus tough 8000 "waterproof" camera got waterlogged and broke while i was swimming in the red sea (of all the times to break!). luckily the local it shop saved my memory card and i took some awesome pictures before it broke...but then it did

was good while it lasted though
I hope you're returning it for service under warranty.
Ok, I'm ordering Sigma's 18-200mm OS.. If you have anything bad to say from it, please comment in 5mins if you're there!

Uh oh no not buying it... I need a lens under or a bit over 400euros, good one.. HELP!
Quote from Tomba(FIN) :Ok, I'm ordering Sigma's 18-200mm OS.. If you have anything bad to say from it, please comment in 5mins if you're there!

Uh oh no not buying it... I need a lens under or a bit over 400euros, good one.. HELP!

Help?

By far the best bang for buck pro-tele. Approved by Spanky.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :I hope you're returning it for service under warranty.

already got my money back...trying to decide whether to get the same again, an SLR (mum will fund the difference) or ipod touch - biased opinions not welcome
Just got my Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 HSM II back from service. what a difference in focusing speed. the HSM was clearly already suffering when I first bought it--it's like night and day now. love it!
Ok, final decide.

Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS
Canon ET-60
Hoya HD 58mm Protector

352.70 €
-
(Blackout) DELETED by Blackout
Quote from Tomba(FIN) :Ok, final decide.

Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS
Canon ET-60
Hoya HD 58mm Protector

352.70 €

Not sure if serious... lens protectors?
Quote from Tomba(FIN) :What's wrong with that ?

It's a clear piece of expensive glass that does nothing but add reflections. Maybe useful if you are going to get splattered with mud, but as the camera is still getting dirty I'd avoid such places anyway.

The hood is the best protection.
Quote from Blackout :It's a clear piece of expensive glass that does nothing but add reflections. Maybe useful if you are going to get splattered with mud, but as the camera is still getting dirty I'd avoid such places anyway.

The hood is the best protection.

Mud and crap is the reason why I would buy that.. My current lens has been hit by shit lots of times so yup I think I need it, but I won't use it in the places I don't need it in. So there are not going to be problems is there?
Finland 2009
Two snapshots from my walk around the town this afternoon.

Interesting bokeh in that last one. What lens was that?
Few shots from this falls family walks. Blueberry's are out late this year due to our cold wet summer.
The flower pic was lit from below with off camera flash this morning in the drizzle.
Attached images
DSC_8070.jpg
DSC_8097-4.jpg
DSC_8074.jpg
DSC_8199.jpg
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Interesting bokeh in that last one. What lens was that?

The ol' faithful Nikkor AF 80-200/2.8 D wide open @ 170mm.
well it's been a while, but this weekend is the Gala weekend for a local heritage railway - the oldest continuously working railway in the world. As the weather was excellent, and my little nephew was going to go, I got myself there earlier and brought just about everything with me... only to then almost exclusively use the 70-300 all day.

Making the switch.

Rotten fruit.

Blast from the past.

Camera Showoff
(5560 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG