The online racing simulator
Quote from Tomba(FIN) :Migz....

NICE PICS! Didn't know you're that good. Very few pics was sligthly too over exposured but that doesn't bother.

-Try a smaller aperture so there will not be white spots

Cheers
Although i dont understand what you mean by white spots? So can you circle some of them in one of the photos so that i understand?
Quote from Migz :Cheers
Although i dont understand what you mean by white spots? So can you circle some of them in one of the photos so that i understand?

I mean the bright spots.. where the light is reflecting. Forget about it

E: Don explained quite well
Ahah, i hadnt seen Dons post.
But yeah i think i was using one of the semi manual modes, wasnt full manual :/
Was a bit of a lazy day.
Quote from Don :That's why i prefer rain on rallies - nice soft light without harsh shadows and reflections.

Not to mention the damping effect of the rain on the dust when you're swapping lenses. Light rain is your friend.
I prefer rain because it means I can look like a badass shooting with my waterproof body/lenses while the CaNikon guys scurry for cover or use plastic bags.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :I prefer rain because it means I can look like a badass shooting with my waterproof body/lenses while the CaNikon guys scurry for cover or use plastic bags.

Oh plastic bags looks nice on my camera!
Quote from DeadWolfBones :I prefer rain because it means I can look like a badass shooting with my waterproof body/lenses while the CaNikon guys scurry for cover or use plastic bags.

LOL! I know my Nikon is weather-sealed. I think we can comfortably presume Don's Canon is, too! I don't much fear even torrential rain with mine. Given where I live, though, that's fortunate to say the least
Pretty sure Don uses an XTi or something similar...

edit: checked EXIF because I was curious. 350D/XT. Definitely not weather sealed.
Tsik tsik, boys, boys... less gear snobbery and brand wanking and more pictures.
no photosession since the swift rally action, i am busy with our project, but i was offered sigma 10-20 for a very good price - but i'd have to add my peleng fisheye lens...cant decide - i dont use the fisheye much anymore and when i do, i defish it anyway, so sigma would be more comfortable...mhhhmmmmmhmmmm
Quote from Don :no photosession since the swift rally action, i am busy with our project, but i was offered sigma 10-20 for a very good price - but i'd have to add my peleng fisheye lens...cant decide - i dont use the fisheye much anymore and when i do, i defish it anyway, so sigma would be more comfortable...mhhhmmmmmhmmmm

Get it. Much more practical than the fisheye.

Meanwhile!

I was invited to document their rehersal before a gig with a new line up after a long hiatus. Rehersal space was naturally a small concrete bunker but did my best there. Gelled SB-900 bounced from walls.
Taken from here last night
Attached images
edi-sunset_090915_mb.jpg
edi-sunset_090915_mb2.jpg
I really like my Sigma 10-20, Don. Very versatile lens, though if you've got the cash the Tokina 12-24mm is sharper and has less distortion.
lawllllllllll

Those wacky Japanese...

They're gonna sell a bajillion of these.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :
hmm...

http://photorumors.com/2009/09 ... -k-x-coming-out-tomorrow/

If the specs are true, I'm probably gonna get one. The sensor looks like it may be the same one used in the Sony A500, which has excellent noise control up to ISO3200.

The K7 was hyped to death and it flunked spectacularly compared to it's (so called) main rival D300 so I'd say Pentax isn't ready for prime time.

Zoom time perhaps. (AAAHAHAHHAHAH!)

But seriously, I highly appreciate Pentax for trying new stuff with its cameras.
Quote from spankmeyer :The K7 was hyped to death and it flunked spectacularly compared to it's (so called) main rival D300 so I'd say Pentax isn't ready for prime time.

Zoom time perhaps. (AAAHAHAHHAHAH!)

But seriously, I highly appreciate Pentax for trying new stuff with its cameras.

In what way would you say it flunked? Just curious.
Some "5 am, man I'm bored" shots.
ISO100, 1/4000 @ f/4.5-ish (broken lens again, who knows what it actually is)

Slightly out of focus raspberry. Kept it because I like the detail on the focused bits and the highlights in the bokeh. 100%, no sharpening.

The flash behind the leaf, hence the "Sony" I'll probably redo this one sometime, ideally with a perfect leaf. Wallpaper version attached.
Attached images
DSC09746.jpg
DSC09763.jpg
DSC09757.jpg
Quote from morpha :Some "5 am, man I'm bored" shots.
ISO100, 1/4000 @ f/4.5-ish (broken lens again, who knows what it actually is)

I'm curious? Why 1/4000????? I'm quite sure your shutter dosen't sinc with your flash at that high of a shutter speed

Love the hair on the berries though!!!
Quote from Toddshooter :I'm curious? Why 1/4000????? I'm quite sure your shutter dosen't sinc with your flash at that high of a shutter speed

Yes it does, I think all Sony flashes from the F36AM up (mine is a HVL-F58AM) are capable of HSS (High Speed Sync) with all Alphas, even in wireless mode
I choose 1/4000 pretty much just because it's possible
Quote from morpha :Yes it does, I think all Sony flashes from the F36AM up (mine is a HVL-F58AM) are capable of HSS (High Speed Sync) with all Alphas, even in wireless mode
I choose 1/4000 pretty much just because it's possible

You do lose a most of your flash power and gain nothing as small strobes can't dump their caps that fast so it's only useful for short ranges. Elinchrom Ranger set is where you should go if you want a true fast sync with power too. Too bad the price is horrible though. :faint:

Quote from DeadWolfBones :In what way would you say it flunked? Just curious.

I worded myself badly there, apologies. Mostly I was saying that the K7 lacked in image quality, AF, speed and handling to the relatively old D300 despite it was hailed as the most mature Pentax prosumer body and going head-to-head with the D300.

Now, I haven't owned a D300 or K7 so I'm mostly talking out of my butt but fact remains that unless you raise the bar, you've gone nowhere in the digital camera world of crap and hurt.

Same goes for D300s and 5DMk2 - not raising the bar is the same as flunking hard.

My thoughts, crap as usual.
Quote from spankmeyer :I worded myself badly there, apologies. Mostly I was saying that the K7 lacked in image quality, AF, speed and handling to the relatively old D300 despite it was hailed as the most mature Pentax prosumer body and going head-to-head with the D300.

Now, I haven't owned a D300 or K7 so I'm mostly talking out of my butt but fact remains that unless you raise the bar, you've gone nowhere in the digital camera world of crap and hurt.

Same goes for D300s and 5DMk2 - not raising the bar is the same as flunking hard.

My thoughts, crap as usual.

No apology necessary, I generally don't get butthurt if people diss Pentax gear.

K-7 has some things the D300 doesn't have, and vice versa. Pentax's AF speed has never been competitive with the best from Canon/Nikon, though apparently the K-7 is a drastic improvement, especially in low light. IQ at base ISO is almost certainly a wash, while the D300 likely cleans up better at high ISO (Sony CMOS vs. Samsung CMOS). Note however that the K-7 gets a lot of praise for retaining detail (at the expense of higher noise) rather than smoothing it over with aggressive NR. K-7 has the magnesium alloy build, much smaller body size (175g or 6oz lighter), and 77-seal weather sealing, along with in-body stabilization (which is either a pro or a con depending on your budget, I guess). K-7 has video, D300 doesn't. Pentax has always gotten really high marks for its ergonomics (the grip on the K-7 is a thing of beauty), though the menus could use work. And of course the K-7 is slightly cheaper.

I think they're pretty well-matched overall, but like you I haven't personally used either--just read reviews and pixel-peeped test images.

Use what you like, I guess. I'll almost certainly pick up a K-x in the near term, as it looks like it packs a lot of the interesting K-7 features into an even tinier body. Looks perfect for street shooting.
Quote from spankmeyer :You do lose a most of your flash power and gain nothing as small strobes can't dump their caps that fast so it's only useful for short ranges. Elinchrom Ranger set is where you should go if you want a true fast sync with power too. Too bad the price is horrible though. :faint:

True but even at f/22 it still illiuminates a subject 1 to 2 metres away quite nicely at 1/4000. Just gives a different result than slower shutter speeds and lower flash intensity
Here is my new dildo!
Attached images
asd.jpg
Quote from DeadWolfBones :I think they're pretty well-matched overall

This may indeed be true. I think the point spanky's making is that it needed to do more than just match the D300. It has to push through the boundaries of what is achievable. What Canon and Nikon invariably do, when they release a new camera - even a bottom-of-the-range consumer camera - is take the current level of for-the-price expectations for a camera of that entry-point and give them a kicking. A really GOOD kicking, more to the point.

Nikon's reputation for doing this is so set in stone, it bit them in the ass when they released the D3x. The only thing they'd improved on, over the D3, was doubling the full-frame sensor resolution to over 23Mpix. It was such an in-your-face stand-still that Nikon faced a massive boycott of the D3x.

Pentax would kill to earn that kind of boycott.

Camera Showoff
(5560 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG