The online racing simulator
they have to allow modding then
Quote from chavm481 :they have to allow modding then

+1.

It's either continue developing or open up for mods!
and if they stop development and no mods, then by by lfs...
Quote from NightShift :Hence the only equilibrium solution is to stop developing LFS so people will go moan elsewhere. Great!

Or to ignore the idiots.

Which unfortunately is very hard, I constantly fail at doing so myself.
dont come here then
I seriously don't get why people have such a problem with people wanting better..

That's how games evolve and new technologies come out. You can never fully satisfy anyone.. and people willing to provide money for better features/services/cars/clothes/houses is how the market works..

Do the same old things with your friends and you'll get bored. Chances are if you don't do some new things you'll end up being less good friends or in contact less often..

Same with anything, really..

The same applies here. If LFS is not being updated, when there are other sims getting, clearly, VISIBLE development time.. people will get bored and eventually give up.

People can sit here and say they have faith in the devs but faith in what exactly? No-ones doubting that there will eventually be an update, but the question is just how things are getting on. People want to know what's coming in the future (6~12 months from now, etc) and if you keep people in the dark, it's like giving them a cold shoulder.

It's a game and it seems that unless you kiss dev ass, you're an idiot, a whinger, a moaner, etc. Obviously there comes a point where this is true, but more often then not they're just wondering what is happening, and instead get moaned at (hypocritical?) by the hardcore members.. sometimes I myself moan at these others, we're all guilty.

Most of said people who "stand by the devs" don't even play anymore...
Well, LFS is getting better.

And I would play if retards didn't keep getting me banned from servers.
Yes, it's definatly getting better .. just slowly.

I'd play as well, if the retards didn't keep banning me
Quote from S14 DRIFT :I seriously don't get why people have such a problem with people wanting better..

Nobody has a problem with constructive posts. Just not the "LFS/devs are dead, development has died, Scirocco will never come, the devs PROMISED us..., the devs destroyed christmas" crap.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :I seriously don't get why people have such a problem with people wanting better..

yeah, there seems to be a unwritten law. ah, here it is
Quote from zeugnimod :Nobody has a problem with constructive posts. Just not the "LFS/devs are dead, development has died, Scirocco will never come, the devs PROMISED us..., the devs destroyed christmas" crap.

As said, there's a line that needs to be drawn.

But to most people, LFS development has slowed down or is dead, and well, you tell me if you honestly think April/may is "early 2009"..

Unless you're a regular on the forums you can't ALWAYS see the notices, such as the "oh noez i haz no internet" thread.
While Scavier has every right to do whatever they wish to do with LFS whenever they wish to do so, it does deflate the amount of dedication from long time LFS'ers. Whether that is a concern to Scavier is only known to Scavier, obviously.
Fact is, they don't owe us anything. We got what we payed for and thats that. Many of us DO however wish for visible development to continue as we love LFS as our own baby and "need" it to stay alive and continue.....the competition is still pure crap...no other options but LFS in terms of sims.

As many know, LFS is very moddable and it's fairly easy to do so. But out of respect to Scavier, we have followed their rules and no tools have been released....yet.
That will change quickly if LFS development remains in limbo for much longer.
Once you unleash that lion, it's all downhill from there.

In that case, devs are left with 2 active options; embrace mods or code like hell to stop it (and that never works...people just love to hack things open they have been told they can't).
If it's the later, LFS development will boil down to exploit patches with no time for anything else...and that would be a shame.

Guess we'll see in the next few months.
do they care as much as they used to? simply a question.
Quote from chavm481 :do they care as much as they used to? simply a question.

Considering they made a hard call not releasing a bugged patch, yes, I think they care.

People don't seem to understand how double pointed is the knife of communication for the devs.

If they don't tell anything, people moan there is no communication.

If they tell something and it doesn't happen just like that, people moan they were cheated.

If they respond to moaning in either case with communication they give up for the moaners and give a message that loud complaining achieves something.

Only way out of this infected atmosphere withing community now is either to say something or release the patch. As I can't see the first one happening, well, because what I said, and as they have kept their stand so far we got to wait for the latter option.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :As said, there's a line that needs to be drawn.

But to most people, LFS development has slowed down or is dead, and well, you tell me if you honestly think April/may is "early 2009"..

Unless you're a regular on the forums you can't ALWAYS see the notices, such as the "oh noez i haz no internet" thread.

You still mix up developement speed with the frequency of released patches.
Those two are only remotely dependent on each other. Let me elaborate with examples:

Case 1: Scawen codes hundreds of lines a day to fix bugs and add features, but doesn't want to release the next patch until he has everything done which he thinks neccessary = high developement speed, but a low frequency of patch releases.

Case 2: Scawen only codes two lines a month, but still doesn't want to release the patch until it's feature complete = slow developement, low frequency

Case 3: Scawen only codes two lines per month, but releases a patch vor every new line of code = slow developement speed, but a high patch release frequency

But then we all would want to have Case 4:
Scawen codes hundreds of lines a day and releases a Testpatch for every new thing or bugfix until it's feature complete, so he can release the final official patch = quick developement and a high patch frequency.

I for one think that the truth lies somewhere between case 1 and 2.

Many in here seem to think that the hypothetical case 5 is true: Scawen doesn't bother anymore. Which I for one wouldn't believe unless he announces that himself.
When you say "buggered" patch, I don't think it would be that "buggered"... they had made that video and it looked pretty sorted.. and if they weren't so close to releasing it, they wouldn't have said in the announcement.. Unless it was a core problem...

Quote from ColeusRattus :-snip-

Yeah, I see what you're saying. But yeah, if you're only going to do one patch a year, how bloody hard is it to tell me us a few of the features?

And yup, I agree with you, it's between case 1 and 2 in your example...
Quote from S14 DRIFT :When you say "buggered" patch, I don't think it would be that "buggered"... they had made that video and it looked pretty sorted.. and if they weren't so close to releasing it, they wouldn't have said in the announcement.. Unless it was a core problem...

GTA IV videos look good too, but truth is far from that
I'm not saying LFS is buggy like GTA IV, just making a point

Quote :
Yeah, I see what you're saying. But yeah, if you're only going to do one patch a year, how bloody hard is it to tell me us a few of the features?

And yup, I agree with you, it's between case 1 and 2 in your example...

Because features may be over hyped and it will never be as good as in our heads, even if they are pretty much spot on
That is just one reason of the top of my head.

As for tracks and cars add-ons.
Licences are sold for content (cars and tracks) they offer.
If they release more tracks and cars now, what the hell they would offer for S3? Cookies?
Quote from BlackEye :If they release more tracks and cars now, what the hell they would offer for S3? Cookies?

Hehe, that made me lol
Quote from BlackEye :
If they release more tracks and cars now, what the hell they would offer for S3? Cookies?

Cookies sound good right about now. :P

But seriously, if content expansion in terms of tracks is reserved for S3+, the future really doesn't look bright for us.
Maybe it's just me but if I had to choose between cars or tracks, it's an easy choice for me. Tracks any time of the day.

Hell, if I had to choose between further physics upgrades/engine upgrades and tracks, my choice would be the same.
Quote from BlackEye :

Even more tracks and cars?
Quote from BlackEye :

As for tracks and cars add-ons.

Updates to the core tech - graphics, physics, weather effects, etc. And hopefully some proper development tools.
Quote from gohfeld23 :Cookies sound good right about now. :P

But seriously, if content expansion in terms of tracks is reserved for S3+, the future really doesn't look bright for us.

Why do you say that? Becouse S3 is far away from now?
Well, we don't really know how far is that "far", might be not that far after all

Quote from Tomba(FIN) :Even more tracks and cars?

Well, we have 2 cars unplanned in S2 release (3 with VWS). Sure, two of them are SSs, and might not be that unique, but they are there and who knows what will happen in the future.

Don't get me wrong, I would too love new content and whatnot, but I'm happy with how LFS is progressing (sort of)
Quote from zeugnimod :Or to ignore the idiots.

Which unfortunately is very hard, I constantly fail at doing so myself.

The problem with idiots (discarding the idea you were implying I am one too), is everybody need to be able to recognize them as to neutralize their statements.

I'm sure you noticed the logical loop in the previous statement, as if everybody would be able to recognize them, they would be able to do so as well and instantly stop being idiots.

Hence the popular saying 'never argue with an idiot because others may not be able to notice the difference'

For me the inevitable conclusion is even if idiots and idiots only are <cough> moaning, the effort associated with recognizing one means the bad word of mouth idiots create has the very same value as the one that would be created by a group of select and very knowledgeable people pointing out issues with LFS and its management.

To a degree - it doesn't matter if someone is an idiot or not, as long as the thing he/she's saying has some truth in it
Quote from ColeusRattus :You still mix up developement speed with the frequency of released patches.

Sound analysis, its only shortcoming is we commoners can only observe two things:

1) the frequency of released patches
2) amount of information released about ongoing development

With 1) being a little on the slow side, and in absence of 2) people start going astray and come up with theories which to you may seem as logical as the invasion of earth by reptilians, still they have the same justifications as your patience.

The only difference is you have faith and they've not. That's why expectations should be managed.
Quote from Whisper :Updates to the core tech - graphics, physics, weather effects, etc. And hopefully some proper development tools.

Yes, but everything that updates the core is available for S1, S2, S3 and demo too, not just S3 exclusive .
So at the end of the day, cars and tracks are what is different among S1, S2 and S3.
This thread is closed

[MERGED] Scirocco enquiry threads
(2369 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG