The online racing simulator
Moving house...
(300 posts, closed, started )
Quote from RIP2004 :snip

Firstly I have been drinking, so I apologize if my post is more incoherent than usual.

I understand what you are saying, I too am a little disappointed. It just sickens me sometimes to see the reactions of this community.
I don't post that regular and my last post which displayed disgust I think is because I have had a bad day or two recently combined with attitudes of this community. I think this is why I fired off so quickly.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I appreciate that, and I am sorry for any bad feelings caused. Sometimes some things need to be said...

We all have a common interest here, LFS, so I end with :grouphug:
Quote from freddyalek90 :
And I've lived 19 years without the Scirocco

Lol, The scirocco was annouced 19 years ago? so I'm guessing LFS was created when Scawen was born?

Scawen did the right thing. He has moved to sort out his family and his own life first. Own life > people on the internet. As soon as you new house is complete, you could then get back on the most addicting sim EVA!
Quote from Klouczech :Yeah! Nice to hear that you are happy. But Im not. Im not interested in your personal problem. You could say only: Sorry , new patch will be in 30 days.

Just to be clear - I was not making excuses or apologising, and I don't think I have a personal problem.

I could have kept it really short but I thought it would be a good idea to relay my ISP setup experience. Just some word of mouth "advertising" for BT and Virgin...

Quote from Becky Rose :The whole point of doing LFS was to give Scawen the flexibility in his life to work as he wanted. I dont see the issue, I dont see why he even felt sufficiently pressured to post an excuse tbh.

Thank you, yes. To add to what you say, I worked as an employee from approx age 19 (pizza delivery) to about 30 (at Lionhead). Then I took the risk of leaving a good job and setting up my own business (with Eric and then Victor) and lived very frugally for a couple of years until we could sell S1 licenses!

The reward now is that we can take our time to get things sorted out in our life, and work as we wish, when the inspiration takes us. The result... LFS, whether you think that is good or bad. Employed people do most probably have to go to work even when their house is still full of boxes, or at other times when they should really have a few days at home. There are some advantages in being self employed!

By the way, I did not feel pressured directly to make a post. Victor said to me that he had been receiving a lot of technical support emails and there was unrest in some threads in the forum. I have not seen any of them, just wanted to make life easier for Victor, and saw no harm in letting people know I had moved. I decided the ISP story might be of some interest to British residents...
I understood how rubbish is BT's customer service. BT outsourced thier customer services to india.

then it went downhill.

Hope you enjoy your new house.
Quote from Klouczech :Yeah! Nice to hear that you are happy. But Im not. Im not interested in your personal problem. You could say only: Sorry , new patch will be in 30 days.

I really dont understand how some people are as arrogant as you are , you should be happy that he did tell us his problems , i personally care about the devs , if you dont , dont read this and dont post crap like that ! Its exactly people like you that ruin this fine community , you should be happy with what you have , if your not , go play something else ! Your moaning about that you dont care about his problems , but if he didnt write anything you would moan about him not saying anything ! Grow up !

@ Scawen , i wish you and your family all the luck in the world with your new house and life , take your time , we love the game as it is , with or without the Scirocco , and i think i speak for all the people that love LFS
Go Scawen!

While im here, Is there any news besides the Scirocco? I'm not really in the scirocco this patch. I'd rather see some improvements and let the Scirocco be finished next year .

Anyway, Thanks for sharing what's going on in LFS.
Quote from RIP2004 :@paulH

I never said moving into a new house is a tiny bit of work. It is quite a lot, but nevertheless no reason to completly resign everything else.
And I am not moaning, I am just a bit dissapointed that absolutely no time was dedicated to finish this long awaited patch.
I don't talk about 8 hours of work. Just a little bit everyday ...

As I said I demand nothing, because I have paid. I paid for LFS as it was a few years ago. So not being ungrateful, just dissapointed ...
And of course Scawen has a life too. Just LFS is more of a hobby than of work in terms of dedication, which sometimes is even better but sometimes worse.

@smove

I never said moving is no or little work. See above.
And why giving him no chance? It is not whining.

It is just, that it would be modest to inform the long waiting community just as the postpone.
I think the postpone was a good and brave decision and completly right. This was modest.

But then dissapear with no word wasn't. It isn't the end of the world, but I think it isn't ungrateful, no sign of disrespect or anything to be dissapointed. It is just straight honest.

@dark times & senn:

Jealousy? On what?
You just smell dissapointment, no more no less.
Arrogance?

Just respectful and grateful Honesty about disapointment and a hint about lack of information as beeing a bit off.

I am sorry that I am no bootlicker who always says "Yes, and Great ... and we always had what we wanted ...".
For people who are never dissapointed and always happy with everything nothing has to be developed anymore and with this show off of dedication and love to LFS (everything doesn't matter, everything fine, get yourself 10 years for next patch) I would be really sorry for LFS.

It is just not right to keep people waiting for something that won't happen

AGREE, me to bored of waiting this patch. to lfs need more DEVS, much more.
Quote from mantvisrep :AGREE, me to bored of waiting this patch. to lfs need more DEVS, much more.

Not more people like you please.
to Scawen:
Dont look at test patch forum.
Quote from Alien_CZ :to Scawen:
Dont look at test patch forum.

:ices_rofl oh yeah ... don't look and don't read anything there , it won't be good for Your mental health (LOOOTS OF MOANING :razz
so if people want more devs and faster development, how about scawen sets up a monthly fee so he can get some more devs and still make a profit. would you like that guys? i dont think many of you would, so shut and sit tight....
To all the people who find it necessary to bitch and moan, take a step back and actually look at what Scawen has done. I can almost guarantee (obviously not 100%) that you would never have the balls to do what Scawen has done. To do something like Scawen has done takes bollocks, very big ones and all the hard work and risk taking has paid off.

I think, therefore, that he has earnt the right to bloody do what he wants. If you have a problem with this I believe you need to look at your own mentality, because supplied with all the facts it is not a rational conclusion to lambast Scawen.

With regards ISP I am very surprised that people even bother with TalkTalk, Virgin, BT, Sky, Orange etc. I use Zen Internet, ISP of the year for last however many years and have only good things to says. This also includes a house move.

Regards
I've used NDO since I first got Broadband in 4 years never had any problems of note.
In response to the other's asking or demanding patches you read like geeks from the 20th Century, If your bored now you will be bored even if the next patch gives you everything you want then you realise you didn't need it anyway and then ask ,when's the next patch.
Quote from dadge :i work for the sales department in the post office broadband. tags on the line is a very common issue we have. it's basically BT branding their line (the ISP logo is a TAG) so the BT network knows who is supplying the service to that perticular house. it can be a pain to get removed (BT staff are very stupid/ignorant). should take 5 working days but usually takes about 90. that's not the worst issue but a pain never the less. basically because BT own the whole UK network (except the fibre optic network) they don't really care about their customers because no matter who you go to to gain service, they will still be payed line rental by that ISP.
glad to see your back. wait until you have to call their tech support....the adventure has only just begun lmao. on a plus note, BT are upgrading their lines this year. by the end of 2010, the whole of the UK will be on a fibre optic network.

By "fibre network" do you mean fibre backbone, or fibre to your door?

(i'll give you a hint - a fibre backbone won't really help that much if you live 16 KM from the exchange like I had with a customer today).

I could bore you with my stories from BT's service lines, but I cba :X

What I would like to say, in Scawen's defence, is that now he's self-employed he can do what he likes, when he likes - at one point he was putting in 70 hour weeks continuously, and now he can just take a break when he needs to. LFS is a programmer (and a perfectionist) doing things they way they want them to be done - if you like it (i.e. stuff takes a while to get done but it's never rushed or hashed), then you'll love LFS - if you'd rather a release and 14 patches later for the original thing to work then LFS probably isn't for you in the long term...
Quote :The reward now is that we can take our time to get things sorted out in our life, and work as we wish, when the inspiration takes us. The result... LFS, whether you think that is good or bad.

I think it's very good, I still think it's the best simulator (although I have not tried iRacing and my RL racing experience was 'mostly' karts). Well you already know my views on where sims fall short I think, and you certainly dont need education on it from me.

That said I am envious of programmers who have managed to do what you have done and have remained independent and found sufficient commercial success and I still wonder how a raving commie has pulled that off!

I have been inspired by the way you have done things and hope in the longer term to also turn my back on the corporate development world and venture off with a project of my own. So you can add 'inspiration' to your list of achievements with LFS, albiet only to the most mentally unstable person on these forums.
what a serious problem of ISP !

and now I know why there is no new patch.

We will stand beside you!

Keep going!
Nice story Scawen, always a relief to see it happens to everybody!

And I was thinking you were struggling with ugly bugs in the next patch, not able to get rid of the buggers
Now your problems were much more entertaining (from our point of view of course) and ... well, human.

Thanks for sharing with us. I still have one or 2 boxes from when I moved and the second kid arrived ... 4 years ago! Good luck with yours
I'm quite amused that on the one side, people cry out for more communication from the devs, and on the other hand when they actually do use that opportunity to shoot them down...

If Scawen just said: "have problems with computer, will take time to sort out", or just didn't say anything at all, there wouldn't have been any problem whatsoever...

Do people really want the devs to take a step from the community, to have every bit of communication handled by a proxy like with nK?
We see it all the time. Working for an ISP (Demon/THUS) I'm aware of how utterly useless BT Wholesale can be. And on a personal note, when we last moved house it took BT/Sky about 6 weeks to get us hooked up again - and there were already lines there.

The reason of course, is that BT are the only ones legally allowed to touch exchanges, therefore they prioritise BT customers ahead of anyone on rival networks. I reckon Ofcom should be put in control of them so that they deal with them in the order they come in.

Glad to hear you're all sorted now though!
Haha, I just realised it was the perfect time to move house. I just looked outside the window (here in East london) then KABLAM! everything is all white!:wow:

OH C'mon, I hope no school today, GAH!!

it's getting whiter in Oxford at this point in time too. Didn't have much over night but now it's coming down pretty hard
Quote from Becky Rose : So you can add 'inspiration' to your list of achievements with LFS, albiet only to the most mentally unstable person on these forums.

I rather think you rank second at best, if I might point to a certain spanish forum member... :P

On Topic: Glad that you're okay, Scawen! I was in sorrow that something more dramatic than your moving and ISP problems held you away from work. Thank god that was not the case and everything will be going back to normal in the coming days or weeks.

And please don't listen to the moaners and complainers.
Quote from ColeusRattus :I rather think you rank second at best, if I might point to a certain spanish forum member... :P

Possibly any spanish person that isn't lerts. I still have no idea what language he speaks.:hide:
Quote from PaulH :Firstly I have been drinking, so I apologize if my post is more incoherent than usual.

I understand what you are saying, I too am a little disappointed. It just sickens me sometimes to see the reactions of this community.
I don't post that regular and my last post which displayed disgust I think is because I have had a bad day or two recently combined with attitudes of this community. I think this is why I fired off so quickly.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I appreciate that, and I am sorry for any bad feelings caused. Sometimes some things need to be said...

We all have a common interest here, LFS, so I end with :grouphug:

Hey, no problem I didn't take it bad. I just wanted to explain myself. As I said it is ok for Scawen to do it this way. But sometimes it is still a bit dissapointing ...
Move on to a fantastic Scirocco and perhabs later the year my long awaited longitudinal traction fix

Regards
RIP
Quote :I rather think you rank second at best, if I might point to a certain spanish forum member... :P

Lerts' insanity exists only on this forum, by contrast, this is perhaps the place i'm most sane...
This thread is closed

Moving house...
(300 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG