The online racing simulator
Moving house...
(300 posts, closed, started )
Yey! Input from Scawen.

Nice to hear from you and thanks for the explainations.
Hey welcome back Scawen!
Good luck with your new house and your family!
Most people are lucky to get one day off work to move house, let alone a month and a half.
Quote from Gills4life :Yey! Input from Scawen.

Nice to hear from you and thanks for the explainations.

You like input from other men, don't you?

(Sorry for OT )
Hi everyone, hi scawen,

It is his decision. We have no employment contract with him as most people have for their work. So we have to accept that.

I think everyone understands the need for a bigger house etc. (congrats to that btw. and have fun with your familiy in it) And nearly everyone who moved has some bad experiences with internet providers.

But as you said the lack of broadband internet wasn't a big problem. It doesn't affect programming itself very much, just the upload time for patches.

Most people who work and moved into a new house just before christmas would use their christmas holiday to start unpacking and do some things.
A lot of people (if not most) would start working again early in january and finish their house after work everyday.

Many people would take one additional week of vacation into january to finish the most important things and then start to work again.

A few people would perhabs take a second week of vacation. This would be 1,5 weeks of december and 2 weeks of january ... so nearly the vacation of one year for a usual employee. No more holiday for the year.

Ok. This was the plan. Start working again "full time" mid january.

But this just didn't happen. Not even Z11 with some small fixes in the meantime (15 days). By end of january we would have had at least a few more test patches if not the final patch. You don't have to leave the house for work. Just 1 or 2 hours a day at computer and then doing the house?

Ok then. 2 aditional weeks to end of january. Not enough.
Mid february then.

1,5 weeks in december + 4,5 weeks in january + 2 weeks in february = 8 weeks AFTER beeing in the new house with all the packages.

This is not intended as an offense. I like LFS a lot and I think it is a great piece of work for one programmer. So thanks again Scawen.
I fully understand the need for a new house and I believe the broadband problems which are really funny to read about, but nearly irrelevant for work.

But this is not the same attitude towards work than 99,9% of working people have towards their work. They can't take weeks and weeks of vacation for child, kitchen, moving etc.
Again ... no offense intended, just an observation that your attitude is a lot different. And nobody can demand more.

But i think it is quite ok to be dissapointed especially if it said "early in the next year" at 19th of december on front page. It seemed that there isn't THAT much of bugs and features left. Enough to be to late for christmas, enough for a week or two propably. But early next year would be to mid january, not march propably.

Obersaviaton: quite another attitude towards work ... your decision and really quite obvious and nothing new
Nobody can demand more. No employment contract.

Improvement suggestion next time: just drop a line at the forum - development will be continued in 1 or 2 month. No need for personal explanations. That doesn't really concern us, even if a lot of people want to hear it and it is really nice of you to share the reasons.
But people who waited a lot for scirocco wouldn't have been that disappointed after postpone before christmas.

Just my 2 cents. Keep up the good work mid february I really hope for a lot more than the scirocco (2008 ) this year.

Regards
RIP

EDIT: btw. I program myself for university and often had similar conditions. Having to finish some piece of software at home in the next two month. I know how it can be a pain in the ass to motivate yourself. Getting at the computer to continue programming can be quite hard if a lot of things wait for you that are quite more important or more fun.
But my person in charge would have kicked my ass if I said I had to move and therefore couldn't work at it for 8 weeks
So I hadn't the luxury of saying ... hmm wait till I want to continue. And I even didn't get any money for that
There is obviously more involved than what has been said. Moving house is not just about packing and unpacking and then getting internet installed. There are a lot more complexities, solicitors, banks, utility services, critical house repairs to name a few.
To the people that are moaning about this... you are a bunch of ungrateful gits.
Oh "but we paid for LFS".. actually you paid for a license so you already have the product you paid for.
Scawen has a life too and maybe some of you should go out and live a little rather than revolving it around sleeping, eating, shitting and the development of LFS.
Quote from RIP2004 :stuff

Oh boy. If you "can't demand more", what's the purpose of your scientific calculations then? Give the man a chance! And the one day you should move into a house with your wife, your kids and your pets, you'll realize such a step is not a tiny little bit as predictable as you might think.

Btw., this last post clearly shows that we Germans are world champions in whining.
Hey Scawen,

good to hear from you again, good that you haven't vanished from earth's surface yet (one really can't get rid of you, eh? ).

As you are doing your business from home, have you considered getting one of BT's or Virgin's business plans? Normally, those tend to be a bit pricey, but you have the advantage of a "100% availability" contract, and also the people that work on business support lines are a) a lot more motivated and friendly and b) actually having a clue about what they are talking about.

:twocents:

rgrds,
Stalker
Quote from RIP2004 :...

Yes, most people do have to go back to work early, as they have employment contracts, set holidays and pointy-headed bosses, but Scawen has none of those things. If people could take eight weeks off to move house, they would. Scawen is self-employed, with a self-managing buisness, that gives him the freedom to do that. If people want to take eight-week holidays when they need to, they should go make and sell their own successful independent video game. Regardless, it just smells like sour-grapes, jealousy and selfishness on your part.

In terms of ISPs, I used to work in broadband tech-support, and yes, they suck enormous donkey balls.
#85 - senn
wow i'm really, REALLY stunned by some of the arrogance displayed in this thread. There seems to be some real douchebags in the community lately...bit sad for us all i think really :/
Scawen, Hope the rest of the move and christmas went well.

Can you do us all a favour though please? stop development, call the current LFS "Final" so that people can stop complaining that you have a life.

Thanks.
#87 - Byku
Quote from franky500 :Scawen, Hope the rest of the move and christmas went well.

Can you do us all a favour though please? stop development, call the current LFS "Final" so that people can stop complaining that you have a life.

Thanks.

DON'T SAY SUCH A THINGS!:scared: ... i suppose You are joking . Most of us respect Scawen and understand that he "has" life(look, just 3-4 post moaning about this situation in this whole thread! :schwitz
Quote from Byku :DON'T SAY SUCH A THINGS!:scared: ... i suppose You are joking . Most of us respect Scawen and understand that he "has" life(look, just 3-4 post moaning about this situation in this whole thread! :schwitz

I'm not joking, im simply trying to make the point to those that do complain, that he can do this at any point he wants, and in my opinion Should,

If having a nice family and im sure other prospects are not a good enough motivation to give up LFS then im sure posts like those 3 - 4 in this thread should be.

So congratulations Scawen for having the mentality to be able to read past those comments and continue your work, in your own way, for the rest of us to enjoy, I would find it difficult (well. sometimes anyhow)
@paulH

I never said moving into a new house is a tiny bit of work. It is quite a lot, but nevertheless no reason to completly resign everything else.
And I am not moaning, I am just a bit dissapointed that absolutely no time was dedicated to finish this long awaited patch.
I don't talk about 8 hours of work. Just a little bit everyday ...

As I said I demand nothing, because I have paid. I paid for LFS as it was a few years ago. So not being ungrateful, just dissapointed ...
And of course Scawen has a life too. Just LFS is more of a hobby than of work in terms of dedication, which sometimes is even better but sometimes worse.

@smove

I never said moving is no or little work. See above.
And why giving him no chance? It is not whining.

It is just, that it would be modest to inform the long waiting community just as the postpone.
I think the postpone was a good and brave decision and completly right. This was modest.

But then dissapear with no word wasn't. It isn't the end of the world, but I think it isn't ungrateful, no sign of disrespect or anything to be dissapointed. It is just straight honest.

@dark times & senn:

Jealousy? On what?
You just smell dissapointment, no more no less.
Arrogance?

Just respectful and grateful Honesty about disapointment and a hint about lack of information as beeing a bit off.

I am sorry that I am no bootlicker who always says "Yes, and Great ... and we always had what we wanted ...".
For people who are never dissapointed and always happy with everything nothing has to be developed anymore and with this show off of dedication and love to LFS (everything doesn't matter, everything fine, get yourself 10 years for next patch) I would be really sorry for LFS.

It is just not right to keep people waiting for something that won't happen
Fire him!!!!
get your house sorted first!

allways the stupid providers again , there is just no time that its going like plan, when you are moving houses
I'm sure that if he had the time to *finish* the patch, we would of course have our 0.6A. And Scawen has really the interest to public as soon as he can the VWS, because it means more money for him and the other devs...
But he didn't. Maybe for him is more important his private LIFE than his work?I think that if anyone could do this, he would have preferred to concentrate on his family.
My family and I once moved, and I've seen my father do all he could do for us.

And I've lived 19 years without the Scirocco, but I'm still alive! If it's out in half a month, it's ok. If it isn't, we can wait another week, a month, a year... Take your time. We will be ready when you're ready!
Thanks for the update Scawen, Hope you and the family have many a happy year in your new abode.
Quote from SabersKunk :Most people are lucky to get one day off work to move house, let alone a month and a half.

but when your work does not invole going somewhere and you require an internet connection (which he doesnt) its a different matter

P.S he is his own boss, you are not paying him wages, he can do whatever he wants!
If you need any cheap furniture for your new home just pop down to the new IKEA in southampton and ask for the lanky one called James and I will hook you up with discounts!
Your story of ridiculous ISP has been repeated many many times by UK residents. It's like they don't care how much people now rely on the Internet...

Good to hear from you - and enjoy the house!
i work for the sales department in the post office broadband. tags on the line is a very common issue we have. it's basically BT branding their line (the ISP logo is a TAG) so the BT network knows who is supplying the service to that perticular house. it can be a pain to get removed (BT staff are very stupid/ignorant). should take 5 working days but usually takes about 90. that's not the worst issue but a pain never the less. basically because BT own the whole UK network (except the fibre optic network) they don't really care about their customers because no matter who you go to to gain service, they will still be payed line rental by that ISP.
glad to see your back. wait until you have to call their tech support....the adventure has only just begun lmao. on a plus note, BT are upgrading their lines this year. by the end of 2010, the whole of the UK will be on a fibre optic network.
my internet provider wants to fiberize oregon, you know how much they will charge us a month for internet?!?!?! about 100 USD!!!
Quote from RIP2004 :I am sorry that I am no bootlicker who always says "Yes, and Great ... and we always had what we wanted ...".
For people who are never dissapointed and always happy with everything nothing has to be developed anymore and with this show off of dedication and love to LFS (everything doesn't matter, everything fine, get yourself 10 years for next patch) I would be really sorry for LFS.

It is just not right to keep people waiting for something that won't happen

Bootlicker, fanboy...that's the first things people turn to. I'm frustrated with the speed of development and certain bugs that are still but you can bitch and moan, point fingers and shout all you want cause it will get you exactly no where.

When the man comes to the forum and explains why things have not happened why do some feel the need to have a go and whine about things that, in their minds, have been promised to them.

The development speed of LFS will not change, you or me stomping our feet and whining about it like a little pig tailed 6 year old girl whose just dropped her ice cream on the floor before she's even taken a lick on the hottest day of the year, just as the ice cream man has no more left will not change anything.
This thread is closed

Moving house...
(300 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG