The online racing simulator
Bmw just changed the sidepods on their FBMW car and had the winter off on holiday
I've got a sneaking suspicion that this year's F1 season is going to be shit.

Some random team is going to be miles ahead of everybody else. Probably BMW. So we'll be watching a lot of shit-looking cars touring around and already knowing what the result will be.

Bah.
Quote from DeKo :slick tyres, if you do not approve, get out.

Well screw you too.

When that is said, of course I know they use slick tyres and it looks like slik tyres, but it's not like that, but it's more like the whole wheel itself, the rims, the seems or what's the name for it seems so completely different from the old ones, and reminds me of a toy car
Quote from thisnameistaken :I've got a sneaking suspicion that this year's F1 season is going to be shit.

Some random team is going to be miles ahead of everybody else. Probably BMW. So we'll be watching a lot of shit-looking cars touring around and already knowing what the result will be.

Bah.

I really doubt that. Now that the designs are more restricted there's less variables to get wrong, so I'd suspect the cars will be more closer. Only team which could have advantage early on the season might be Williams as they started their car development earlier, but it's hard to say how that will last if at all. Keep in mind that the lap time difference between the front runners and backmarkers were between just 1-2 seconds per lap last year, when Minardi used to be 4 seconds behind at it's best. If the new regulations do what they are supposed to, that gap should be even closer now.
I actually agree with that. Maybe it's the compound or something, but they look really plastic-y rather than rubbery. I've thought that since the announcements started. Tyres shouldn't be that shiny
Quote from Dajmin :I actually agree with that. Maybe it's the compound or something, but they look really plastic-y rather than rubbery. I've thought that since the announcements started. Tyres shouldn't be that shiny

All new tires look shiny.
Once they drive with them the top layer will wear off. The same with Karting tires. They are shiny in the beginning too.
Quote from Dajmin :I actually agree with that. Maybe it's the compound or something, but they look really plastic-y rather than rubbery. I've thought that since the announcements started. Tyres shouldn't be that shiny

They are just new tires.
Beautiful!

That doesn't count, it's with the old rear wing.
Quote from balee :That doesn't count, it's with the old rear wing.

Exactly, the new one looks like a shit shuffler compared to old one
Lol, the old BMW looks more aerodynamic than the new one
I still say they don't look that bad. Compared with 08 cars they look clumsy, but in isolation they're okay, it's only the huge front wing which looks a bit dodgy. Other parts like the noses and side pods have just been simplified quite a lot I guess, which is why they're rather plain looking.

Maybe some of the teams left the nose wider in part so the huge wing wouldn't look quite so huge.
they should definetely used scrubbed tyres in the presentations, always have thought that.

Quote from only.one.RydeR :Lol, the old BMW looks more aerodynamic than the new one

that is the idea of reducing the aerodynamics of the new cars
I don't see the reason for that, maybe it's to prevent serious accidents.. Well the speed will be less in the corners with restricted aero dynamics compared to last year, but still it will be fast.

If it were up to my I would have removed TC and automatic shifting from the cars, but else than that keep them to the shape rules as they had last year. I liked the way they looked

But again, if it's to make safer racing..sure why not.. but in the end, at least with the current development the last years they'll soon use drive with a keyboard with stabilizator in those cars lol..
Quote from The Very End :If it were up to my I would have removed TC and automatic shifting from the cars, but else than that keep them to the shape rules as they had last year. I liked the way they looked

Welcome in year 2009, Time Traveler.

Beam him up to F1 rules change log threads 07' 08' and 09'.

Execute.

/ontopic
BMW's front wing sides looks like a weapon to cut tires into pieces It's like raw metal "C" elements.
Attached images
fwingbmw.JPG
Ah ok, silly me then, but the TC is still there right?
Be a man, drive F1 without TC. Or maybe they should have total cruise control, or I-WIN button.
Quote from The Very End :I don't see the reason for that, maybe it's to prevent serious accidents.. Well the speed will be less in the corners with restricted aero dynamics compared to last year, but still it will be fast.

If it were up to my I would have removed TC and automatic shifting from the cars, but else than that keep them to the shape rules as they had last year. I liked the way they looked

But again, if it's to make safer racing..sure why not.. but in the end, at least with the current development the last years they'll soon use drive with a keyboard with stabilizator in those cars lol..

It's to promote overtaking.

The cars don't have TC or automatic shiting.
Jeusuzzz people.. I really can't believe people are getting so worked up about how the cars look !!

Who the hell cares?? It's all about the performance and how the racing pans out.
Quote from gezmoor :I don't think you have any clue as to how difficult F1 cars to drive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGUZJVY-sHo

Isn't that the point? If not everyone just could go out for a "ride" in a F1 car. It should be hard, it's man vs man, the best man wins. Not that it don't happen now, don't get me wrong, I just saying that everything that makes the racing harder / mroe of a work / entertaining is a good thing.

Obviously I don't have much clue, lost much of my interest for F1 earleir when there was no overtakings and all the s ame guys winning over and over again, but if it's as tristan tells, or they work to make it more of an entertaining, then I'm all up for it, since that is what F1 needs now.
Quote from gezmoor :I don't think you have any clue as to how difficult F1 cars to drive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGUZJVY-sHo

With all due respect the Stowe circuit at Silverstone is a barely big enough for karts let alone an F1 car - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VUpLME4ujSQ - even a decent driver would have struggled getting and F1 car around.

The difficulty with driving an F1 car is adapting to the speed, and G forces. You only get the Gs if u can adapt to the speed tho

The actual process tho of driving a modern F1 car isn't anywhere near as difficult as it used to be.

Its always hard to go fast, but the actual process of driving doesn't require as many skills as it used to.
Quote from Intrepid :With all due respect the Stowe circuit at Silverstone is a barely big enough for karts let alone an F1 car - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VUpLME4ujSQ - even a decent driver would have struggled getting and F1 car around.

Ok fair enough.

Quote :
The difficulty with driving an F1 car is adapting to the speed, and G forces. You only get the Gs if u can adapt to the speed tho

The actual process tho of driving a modern F1 car isn't anywhere near as difficult as it used to be.

Its always hard to go fast, but the actual process of driving doesn't require as many skills as it used to.

You say all that as if it's easy. Not everyone can still focus on the line and correct control inputs etc at anywhere near those G forces, and not everyone will have the required reaction times etc to handle the increased speed of information input. It's those things that differentiate the F1 drivers from the rest (and every other race class from the one below it). Every driver will have his limits to his physical ability to react/feel/control the car and no amount of "training" will allow them to surpass those limits.

2009 spec. Formula 1 Cars
(667 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG