The online racing simulator
I really like it to be honest, perhaps the rear wing looks a little tall for it's width, but apart from that i think it looks cool.
I particularly love the wide front wing, and the back to basics look
I like the slender chassis. Looks pretty cool, but the rear wing....gees...
The F60 is ugly, ugly, UGLY!!!!!!!!1111!!!
The mirrors look terrible.

I don't understand why the FIA haven't mandated a standard size, shape, and mounting point for the mirrors. And why they don't require a starter motor.
Or just a spec mirror, which would be pretty sensible. As for starter motors, they are harder things to fit than thought (IIRC).
Quote from duke_toaster :Or just a spec mirror, which would be pretty sensible. As for starter motors, they are harder things to fit than thought (IIRC).

That's what the word 'spec' means.

I'm sure they can manage fitting a starter motor. They can fit KERS. Standardize it and extend the maximum dimensions of the car enough to make space for it.
Starter motors aren't really needed in F1 because of the anti-stall systems the cars have.
Hmm if they've done this we need V10/12's back
#34 - MR_B
Quote from mythdat :
Going to be an interesting week - expected car launch dates:

12 Jan: Ferrari
15 Jan: Toyota
16 Jan: McLaren
19 Jan: Renault
19 Jan: Williams
20 Jan: BMW
9 Feb: Red Bull
Torro Rosso and FIndia unknown

Maybe the thread creator could add these dates to his post so we can refer to it easily?
Quote from Lateralus :And why they don't require a starter motor.

Because they would be useless. They wouldn't be able to turn the engine over (high compressions) or start them hot (usual starting problems of hot engines) with anything than a stupidly large battery. Hell, it's hard enough starting a cold/warm 2 litre engine with normal compression ratios using an extra large (in relative terms) battery on my race car.

If the drivers/teams are silly enough to stall out of reach of an external starter then they deserve to retire.
Wasn't there an information on the net somewhere that one of the Manufactures started the motor with the help of KERS? Or am I confusing something?
There was a rumour that Ferrari switched off the engine and restarted using KERS. But they weren't running KERS that day (apparently).
Quote from tristancliffe :They wouldn't be able to turn the engine over (high compressions)

cant be that hard if a human bending down is sufficient support for the starte motors torque can it?

Quote :or start them hot (usual starting problems of hot engines)

arent f1 engines always started hot?
Quote from Shotglass :cant be that hard if a human bending down is sufficient support for the starte motors torque can it?

arent f1 engines always started hot?

Aren't most starter rigs now on wheels with quite a wide base? And perhaps the torque is resisted by a lug on the gearbox casing where the starter goes in?

They are started warmed up, but not necessarily 'hot' as in being run for a while and having the combustion heat soak into areas that don't like heat soak. Hot engines having stalled are always much harder to start than preheated engines.
Quote from tristancliffe :Aren't most starter rigs now on wheels with quite a wide base? And perhaps the torque is resisted by a lug on the gearbox casing where the starter goes in?

i dont seem to remember either of that from monza last year but i didnt really look for either of those in the blender they shoves up bourdais' backside

Quote :Hot engines having stalled are always much harder to start than preheated engines.

i wouldnt know the fiats i drive most of the time only have troubles if the temperature drops below 30
(seriously though the car has worked surprisingly flawless even after a -17 night)
Narrow the front wing and widen the rear and it will look 1000x better.
Quote from Thunderhead :it looks kinda like a bat. the outline, that is.

FYI: Its just a silhouette of last year's car
Quote from Tezuka :13 hours and 52 minutes until the TF109 reveal

Toyota needs to revamp its image and become something unique and interesting. They're the generic Formula One team. Their livery and corporate colors, and the whole feel of the team really, are bland and uninspiring. Trulli and Glock are OK guys, but c'mon, who is a diehard Toyota fan? It's just a faceless corporate monolith with no character or passion. This also seems to extend to the design philosphy and engineering of their car, which would explain their lack of success relative to their budget.

They've kept the same paint scheme on their car for years, and it was crap to start with. They should go with something outrageous (by their standards anyway) so they at least stand out a little. Make it clear that they're evolving and intend to really step up in '09. Kinda like what Honda did in 2007 with it's Earth car thing, except y'know, good.
Im not sure what you expect but red & white is the company's primary colors and japan's national colors.

That shouldn't ever change
Quote from h3adbang3r :Narrow the front wing and widen the rear and it will look 1000x better.

The OWG decided that the front wing should be low and the rear to be high in order to get the front wing out of the guy in front's turbulent air. The rear wing could be wider, but I like the look of the new front wing.
Meh...This TF109 thing is rather ungainly. F60 looks so much better!

And yes, I waited for the premiere and got jack shit at 12:00 CET. No surprises there.

P.S. now that it loaded 18 mins later, the trailer with Trulli and Glock is kinda fun.
TF109 pictures

2009 spec. Formula 1 Cars
(667 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG