The online racing simulator
Quote from Bulva :are that new tyre physics improvements gonna kill drifting. Drift is hard to do with existing tyre physics.I think we need "drift tyres" or we can drift 2 corners with new patch.

This is a good question. Here's my theory:

Having given drifting a "spin" myself, recently, and watched a few people on drifting servers do their thing, I suspect that drifting in its CURRENT form will be a thing of the past.

This will possibly annoy a few people, who are managing to catch AND HOLD drifts when in REAL life, they wouldn't. The new patch is primarily about bringing more realism to the tyre physics. From what I've observed, a lot of "drifters" at present are exploiting a physics bug that is going to be reduced significantly, according to the main website's update from yesterday.

The new patch will be GOOD for those drifters who are using LFS to simulate real-life drifting. They will welcome it, even though it becomes harder, BECAUSE it becomes more real.

Also, drifters who can STILL drift after the patch will carry more credibility within the rest of the community, I think, because everyone knows right now that a) drifting on LFS has been an exploit, and b) real-life drifting is a challenging skill that must be learned intensively in order to successfully achieve.
Quote from Breizh :So, does anyone disagree the RAR would be a kickass new GTR for LFS?

Only if it's an NA (naturally aspirated). We could get the LX8 GTR, RB4 GTR and RA GTR
Quote from Hyperactive :Only if it's an NA (naturally aspirated). We could get the LX8 GTR, RB4 GTR and RA GTR

Well, seing as it has to be a 2.0 litre ~500hp engine that is rather ambitious. Also the current RA is turbo.
Quote from SamH :This is a good question. Here's my theory:

Having given drifting a "spin" myself, recently, and watched a few people on drifting servers do their thing, I suspect that drifting in its CURRENT form will be a thing of the past.

This will possibly annoy a few people, who are managing to catch AND HOLD drifts when in REAL life, they wouldn't. The new patch is primarily about bringing more realism to the tyre physics. From what I've observed, a lot of "drifters" at present are exploiting a physics bug that is going to be reduced significantly, according to the main website's update from yesterday.

The new patch will be GOOD for those drifters who are using LFS to simulate real-life drifting. They will welcome it, even though it becomes harder, BECAUSE it becomes more real.

Also, drifters who can STILL drift after the patch will carry more credibility within the rest of the community, I think, because everyone knows right now that a) drifting on LFS has been an exploit, and b) real-life drifting is a challenging skill that must be learned intensively in order to successfully achieve.

thank you
What time is it. We should be getting the update sooon. That is, if it is every 24 hrs.
It's there!!!

Just kidding :P
Quote from SamH :\his will possibly annoy a few people, who are managing to catch AND HOLD drifts when in REAL life, they wouldn't.

And would you be able to race in real life like you do in lfs?

Anyway, I'm happy to see new patch coming. The more realism -> the more fun.
Quote from Hyperactive :Only if it's an NA (naturally aspirated). We could get the LX8 GTR, RB4 GTR and RA GTR

LX8 GTR sounds just too... fantasy.
Quote :The more realism -> the more fun.

i found that out yesterday. No display in cockpit with manual is amazingly real. try it if you haven't.
After all this time I think this is my first post ever on these forums..

But anyway, has anyone mentioned the possibility of adding rain as a weather effect? I think that would be pretty cool, especially if there were to be working windshield wipers.
Quote from axus :Well, seing as it has to be a 2.0 litre ~500hp engine that is rather ambitious. Also the current RA is turbo.

Ok, it could be the first multi-turbo, then..
Quote from poppn29 :But anyway, has anyone mentioned the possibility of adding rain as a weather effect? I think that would be pretty cool, especially if there were to be working windshield wipers.

Not before S3.
Quote from Rappa Z :i found that out yesterday. No display in cockpit with manual is amazingly real. try it if you haven't.

dashboard?

i use custom view too, select "clocks mode : real" and there'll be display
Quote from deggis :Not before S3.

Still fun to think about tho.
I have crossed my fingers that today's news is the virtual mirror for chase view drivers.
Quote from deggis :Not before S3.

Perhaps wet surfaces - not rain - simply to start testing the tyre physics under those conditions though... I mean they did say they were experimenting with the new feature. Probably would be a lot to ask for, for it to be the surprise though... looking at the screenshots, it seems that a shitload more than a few equation tweaks went into the tyre physics to make them feel more "right".
Quote from Nobo :I have crossed my fingers that today's news is the virtual mirror for chase view drivers.

I wouldn't count on that, cause the majority of LFS players use the wheels view or the cockpit view
Anyway, the Skyline is what, 2.5L? Plenty of those do 1000hp.
Quote from Breizh :Anyway, the Skyline is what, 2.5L? Plenty of those do 1000hp.

Yes, with incredible Turbo lag, lasting for about 1000km before you've got to take the engine apart to do a major engine overhaul.
Ok I think i have worked out what the track is, out of the 3 or 4 combos i posted...2 required a pitlane alteration and 1 had a slightly boring section...so i rekon its this one....

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/7506/asnat1so.jpg

I called it aston National...but it would probably be called something else.
Quote from ATHome :Yes, with incredible Turbo lag, lasting for about 1000km before you've got to take the engine apart to do a major engine overhaul.

And what do you critizise?
I think about no LFS car (except the 24h-GTRs) has done 1000km before it respawned for the next race in 100% new condition.

@Quicksilver:
That combo was also my first guess some 5 pages ago.

Vain
Quote from Breizh :Anyway, the Skyline is what, 2.5L? Plenty of those do 1000hp.

Depends on the model. GT-R's have 2.6l twin turbo, (RB26DETT) GTS's have 2.0l single turbo RB20DET, GTS25's have 2.5l single turbo RB25DET. Many people have over 800hp RB26 engines running in daily usage, since iron blocks can take lots of punishment (boost).
F5, F5, F5....:munching_
Quote from nesrulz :F5, F5, F5....:munching_

Definately that time again.
Great minds think alike, except mine isnt capable of reading and remembering posts 5 pages back
This thread is closed

LFS.net has an update!!!
(2159 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG