The online racing simulator
Post your Car two
(2437 posts, started )
Very nicely done, I like.
Hate to be a downer, but liked the 206 better myself. (even if it was a tad low)
Quote from jibber :

It seems you have a real problem not crashing your car once in a while.

+1
Never have crashed my car, not before and not after getting my licence. I'm a daily van driver though...
Quote from Migz :Cheers buddy.
Have you tried having someone randomly changing gear while you have the bonnet open? That way you can look at the gearbox and see if its even changing gears.

Learning something new everyday - gearbox is in the engine bay and can be easily seen selecting gears.
BlueFlame, it's between the airfilter and the afterburner.
I dunno what kind of car he has, but FWD cars usually have the gearbox under the bonnet, on either side of the engine. On my friends 205 GTi the gear linkage is very visible and I bet many other FWD cars have the linkages on the open like it has too. Of course you can't usually see if the gear physically engages inside tho. But it's not bad idea to see if the linkage moves normally or not.
my car is fwd. honda accord 2003 k24a4 5speed MT. ive spoken with a mecanic friend and he thinks that i broke the clutch. it was already living its last moments, add the extra stress of dumping the clutch at a higer rpm than usual, and boom it breaks. of course no gear will engage if you have no clutch. so i have to cross my fingers and hope that it is that and not something else.
Quote from Migz :
Note To Self: If you see a rabbit in the road, just run it over next time.

Never stop for anything smaller than a dog and even then the highway code says if there are other cars on the road (behind you) do NOT carry out an emergency stop, just hit the animal. The amount of times I've had to leave my lane to avoid going up the arse of someone who slammed on to avoid hitting a rabbit or pheasant. It has got to the point where if I see a bird on the road and I'm behind someone I automatically start an overtake because I know they are going to jam on.
Them rabbits don't half give a rattle through the steering column!
New livery, designed by our very own PwrSlave:

Bye bye beema...

Hello subaru

Another straight swap, which may seem a step down, but i had an untaxed and un MOTd thirsty straight 6 bmw with 155k miles on the, clock, which id never be able to insure again after my ban is up, i now have a legacy with 11 months MOT and 5 months tax, plus its 4 wheel drive, automatic, has 112k miles on it, and only a 2l engine, thus being much more insurable, plus being an estate its practical as my other half has 4 dogs, and as its roadworthy my parents can use it as they wish until i get my license back, not a penny spent either, that'll do me
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :Never stop for anything smaller than a dog and even then the highway code says if there are other cars on the road (behind you) do NOT carry out an emergency stop, just hit the animal. The amount of times I've had to leave my lane to avoid going up the arse of someone who slammed on to avoid hitting a rabbit or pheasant. It has got to the point where if I see a bird on the road and I'm behind someone I automatically start an overtake because I know they are going to jam on.

So if they stop for something bigger, like a child, and something is coming the other way, you'll just smash into the back of them and be ok with it?
It's not like the car in front hits a wall and stops dead, it's using its brakes to slow down, and you're saying that you have to go around them to avoid a collision? That's messed up when you think about it.

Perhaps it's time to reconsider your idea of a safe distance behind the car in front.
Quote from sinbad :So if they stop for something bigger, like a child, and something is coming the other way, you'll just smash into the back of them and be ok with it?
It's not like the car in front hits a wall and stops dead, it's using its brakes to slow down, and you're saying that you have to go around them to avoid a collision? That's messed up when you think about it.

Perhaps it's time to reconsider your idea of a safe distance behind the car in front.

Although I agree with you, he does drive a big RR and I know them to not being the best at stopping (well compared to a tiny modern car). But still not a excuse I would use if dealing with any crash that may have been caused by such manoeuvre
Quote from sinbad :..It's not like the car in front hits a wall and stops dead, it's using its brakes to slow down, and you're saying that you have to go around them to avoid a collision? That's messed up when you think about it..

Kinda half to agree.. I'm usually scanning as far ahead as possible to see what could be getting ready to happen & where my escape route might be etc, but can't think of a time I've ever started an overtake when something looked amiss. (or thought it might be a worthy plan) That's just asking to compound a bad situation most times. The average car and/or driver's usually subpar enough that they don't use their vehicle's full braking potential anyways, for one reason or another.
Dennis: Your car needs a "huehuehue" on the side. and a pic of your sexy mug.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :Never stop for anything smaller than a dog and even then the highway code says if there are other cars on the road (behind you) do NOT carry out an emergency stop, just hit the animal. The amount of times I've had to leave my lane to avoid going up the arse of someone who slammed on to avoid hitting a rabbit or pheasant. It has got to the point where if I see a bird on the road and I'm behind someone I automatically start an overtake because I know they are going to jam on.

I hate to be "that guy" but if you can't stop comfortably behind the car in front - your too close.

Luckily my car does stop like it's hit a brick wall so it's not a situation I have to worry about much.
Quote from Jakg :..Luckily my car does stop like it's hit a brick wall so it's not a situation I have to worry about much.

My RX-7 did as well, thanks to its factory 4 piston calipers all around.. which means sometimes ya have to pay extra attention that you're not out braking the annoying, tailgating a-hole's. After the supercharger I plan on a full Wilwood kit for the Miata/to recreate the same!
Quote from Tinytacohead :My RX-7 did as well, thanks to its factory 4 piston calipers all around.. which means sometimes ya have to pay extra attention that you're not out braking the annoying, tailgating a-hole's. After the supercharger I plan on a full Wilwood kit for the Miata/to recreate the same!

As much as I'd love to say it's because my car is amazing, it's more due to decent brakes + wide tyres + heavy engine right over the front wheels.

EDIT - Plus of course a modern multi-channel ABS system.

EDIT 2 - And saying that ABS decreases stopping distances did just open a MASSIVE can of worms.
Oh right, I forgot which car was yours.. well in that case, (I could be wrong as I've not driven one), but you've probably not felt how insanely awesome brakes can perform. I thought I had, until the RX, due to having always upgraded to quality rotors, pads, steel braided lines etc on my other cars. The 7 spoiled me though/leaves me longing for more!

As for ABS, I despise most older systems/CAN usually out perform them manually. (especially in adverse weather/road conditions) ABS seems to have come quite a ways over the years though, most of the time anywho.

My car from today
My car has no ABS and rear wheels can be locked locked from a reasonably light hit on the brake pedal, but I can hardly remember the time I locked wheels under braking because I tend to let the car in front further than it is required. It is better for me to have some **** dive into my lane in front of me than having no distance and drive twitchy
Went to a trackday in france yesterday with the speedster. The car needs an LSD... otherwise was great fun... sadly no pics or videos taken as i was too busy overtaking Porsches...
Kinda surprised they don't all come with one for some reason.
Quote from Tinytacohead :Kinda surprised they don't all come with one for some reason.

Me too... it's rwd with a reasonable ammount of power... an LSD should be standard IMO. Kind of annoying to accelerate out of a slow corner and have your inner wheel spinning all the time.

The car still managed to be very quick tho. There were three Porsches (Cayman S, Carrera 4S and some random Carrera), Mitsubishi Evo with Semis, Audi A1 Quattro with 320HP and Semis (was really fast), Lotus Elise MKI with Semis, etc... They all were no match for the speedster...
There was one Caterham R300 Superlight with Semi Slicks, about 170HP and less than 600kg weight... i didn't stand a chance against that one...

Was also quite surprised how well the car handles at the limit. Catching a slide after loosing the rear felt even more intuitive and natural than with the S2000. Also the tires and especially the brakes held up just fine... felt like i could drive countless laps without hurting the car (but i took it easy nevertheless and went to the pits to cool down every 5-10 laps).

In other words: It's a great car / toy for the track!
Good deal! (I was reallly wanting to keep my old Miata as a track toy, but alas, it's too long a hike to anywhere to run. even for autoX, heh)

Post your Car two
(2437 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG