The online racing simulator
Post your Car two
(2437 posts, started )
I think LFS devs should start selling flamesuits, because too many people use flamethrowers here

On topic: I won't post any pics yet, as I still don't have a licence, but I should have a driving test in less than a week, so I'll post some pics if I pass it.
Had my first trackday ever last weekend. Was loads of fun and car ran like clockwork (well apart from one of the two alternator belts flying away during the last track session). Also highlighted some much needed improvements for the car that need accessing before I go to the track next time. Hopefully with them next time I'll be able to get more laps in too and improve more on my driving too.

Random shots:

Mah favorite corner:

Then few pictures I found on the net from the event:

And couple of videos I edited. I tried to leave all the boring stuff out (cooldown laps etc) so hopefully you don't need to skip too much.
It's mostly incar:
http://youtu.be/Hb7MQ0cAKpc

Next one is a shorter video that only shows the best lap of my day:
http://youtu.be/mhis1kiOgMY
If your engine was more powerful you would probably have better acceleration.
Problem currently isn't lack of power. It's putting it down. You can see it from the video. Accelerating out of corners is tricky. This is due to the viscous lsd, it needs some servicing because now it just spins with one wheel.

It's fine for doing few donuts here and there but on proper track usage it cant keep up.
If your car didn't spin with one wheel it would probably get better traction.
Well... Yes.

Am I being trolled?
This goddamn forum.
Looks like a lot of fun and it's a very cool car. That circuit is awesome too, I always enjoy watching footage from Ahvenisto.
Are you going to ditch the viscous diff?
TY.

I'm not on planning on ditching the viscous lsd, because it can be serviced to perform very well. I'm planning on opening the lsd unit and putting new, more aggressively locking fluids in. Plenty people have reported this to have great results.
Just weld the damn thing and call it a day. You have one angry Sierra, and it doesn't need any stinking differential. Mad stuff, dude.
Hah thanks. But no, not gonna weld it because I plan on improving lap times, not just drifting. Working viscous lsd is just much better than welded diff, with a welded diff you tend to get loads of understeer on turn in and I don't want that.
Quote from BigPeBe :TY.

I'm not on planning on ditching the viscous lsd, because it can be serviced to perform very well. I'm planning on opening the lsd unit and putting new, more aggressively locking fluids in. Plenty people have reported this to have great results.

Just shim it?
Quote from BigPeBe :Had my first trackday ever last weekend. Was loads of fun and car ran like clockwork (well apart from one of the two alternator belts flying away during the last track session). Also highlighted some much needed improvements for the car that need accessing before I go to the track next time. Hopefully with them next time I'll be able to get more laps in too and improve more on my driving too.

Random shots:

That Mk1 is lovely!! :lovies3d::lovies3d::lovies3d:

Cheers..

Ian

dem steelies

There's gonna be a sweet picture here pretty soon
Quote from Klutch :Just shim it?

You don't simply shim a viscous lsd.

-EDIT- I googled some, it appears there are few Nissan guys around who say it is possible to shim the viscous unit in their cars. I have hard time imagining how this would work without opening the actual VLSD unit, but I guess it is possible on some diffs then.
Anyway the Ford 7,5" Cossie rear end I currently have isn't "shimmable". Tho there are about ~50 viscous plates inside the VLSD unit and adding one or two can make it lock better (maybe some might call this "shimming"). But at that point the old viscous oil is getting replaced anyway and putting more aggressive oil in there is going to give similar results without the possible problem of packing the viscous plates too tight together which could eventually wear them out.

Quote from Ian.H :That Mk1 is lovely!! :lovies3d::lovies3d::lovies3d:

Cheers..

Ian

Yes it is, it also went pretty well on track with it's semi slicks.
big race day today, but quite disappointing. Car only lasted one race before we found out that ~2 litres of water ended up in the oilpan after just four laps We did swap the cylinder head two days ago, this new one (like 230k km old hmrmr...) seems to have an even bigger crack than the one we had on it before. Or maybe its the block, not sure atm. Not to mention that the rear axle broke on a short test drive this morning and had to be swapped aswell

Friends mid-engined Golf 2 did better, was very fast on the straights but slightly american in the corners.

Attached images
IMG_20130901_151205_473.jpg
Slightly American in the corners? So it bombed places that have oil. That's a very strange cornering behaviour.
Quote from ACCAkut :big race day today, but quite disappointing. Car only lasted one race before we found out that ~2 litres of water ended up in the oilpan after just four laps We did swap the cylinder head two days ago, this new one (like 230k km old hmrmr...) seems to have an even bigger crack than the one we had on it before. Or maybe its the block, not sure atm. Not to mention that the rear axle broke on a short test drive this morning and had to be swapped aswell

Friends mid-engined Golf 2 did better, was very fast on the straights but slightly american in the corners.

Where can I find videos of theses races? looks like fun
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Slightly American in the corners? So it bombed places that have oil. That's a very strange cornering behaviour.

America has never bombed anyone.
Hmm, wouldn't a ramp differential be a better solution for you?

It still has some possibilities, and requires a bit less maintenance than VLSD..
Quote from Dennis93 :Hmm, wouldn't a ramp differential be a better solution for you?

It still has some possibilities, and requires a bit less maintenance than VLSD..

There are loads of better diff options for me yes, but I'm currently using the Cossie diff because it's a cheap solution and was an easy swap. Also going to service it myself because I'm a cheap-ass!

Quote from dawesdust_12 :Pichsrure

I am laughing my ass off over here.

Quote from Klutch :yeah what would i know..

If you read my whole post I'm admitting that it seems to be possible on some diffs. I just don't know how it works because in my sense the VLSD is a closed unit inside the diff with the plates and the oil inside so I'm having hard time imagining how adding shims outside of the actual VLSD unit makes it lock any better. Quick google didn't come up with any good tutorials either (I need pictures to understand this shit).
Interesting topic tho.

Post your Car two
(2437 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG