The online racing simulator
Groups are determined by practice speed, so slower cars shouldn't get in the way of the fast guys.

At least that's how it is in the lower series.
Quote from Cornys :Car swaps are always cool and it'll be cool to see Sprint Cup cars at CotA

They need to ditch one of the boring samey tracks and host a race there!
Quote from Cornys :I'm a little excited to be able to bring this news to you guys. I really like this change

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/ne ... se-qualifying-format.html

Group qualifying to come to the Sprint Cup Series at the road courses

Same as in the lower series'. No more one lap crap

I liked the single car one lap qualifying at Watkins Glen, it was arguably most exciting session of the weekend. One lap, don't screw up. I don't understand how the groups make anything more exciting, if anything it will lead to more boredom as its just a group of cars turning laps(just like practice) and you can't pay attention to everyone all at once. With the old format you could watch the whole lap and know if they did well or not before they even hit the finish line. The "saving time" argument doesn't make sense to me either. They already don't have Grand Am coming that weekend at the Glen, if anything you should have more time you need to fill. Oh well. I hate this decision.
I look at it more from a fairness point of view. Those who have a good car are now more likely to be toward the front for the start and the same goes the other way around. Excitement wise I do agree with you though Benny, but I have to remain in favor of this.

You are correct PMD.

CotA would be much better than Kansas for a second time, or, heck, just about any mile and a half a second time, but I don't see it happening. It's a shame.
I don't see anything unfair about single lap qualifying, everyone gets the same shot at the pole.

It mostly annoys me because all I see is the track saying how "great" and "exciting" for the fans this is. This is only exciting for the fans that need instant gratification and want to spend as little time at the track as possible. You want to make qualifying more exciting? Fix it somewhere like Daytona or Talladega first, where it is the most boring thing imaginable.
Hmm. RCR changes to come? I suspect Dillon to the 29 or 31 if Burton finally gets the axe, but who takes over for burton if he is not renewed? I know its early but just wondering
They are most likely doing groups in Q for road courses to cut down the time it takes to do qualifying.
Which doesn't make sense to me as the Glen has a whole less series to fit in this year since Grand Am isn't racing there in August. There is no reason to speed it up.
TV purposes? No one really knows besides the people who made the decision.
You'd think so, but I'm like you when it comes to engines sadly.

I suppose that it could help if it didn't blow up (makes me think about the engine trouble TRD had at Daytona and that they've won on almost all of the horsepower tracks this year (Cali., Vegas, Texas, Kansas..)
Anyone know a stream for the qualifying? Need my NASCAR fix now as I usually end up falling asleep during the night races
Quote from S3ANPukekoh3 :"Toyota said in a statement that the connecting rod in question was three grams under the legal minimum weight, and none of the other seven were found to be at fault."

I don't know much about anything, but shouldn't they all be the same weight in order to balance etc... Seems like this would be more of a disadavantage than anything. Pretty severe penalty for a mistake on the engine supplier's part.

They also have these regulations for safety reasons, you don't want a car letting its motor go in be middle of a. 43 car pack.

On another note, Travis did well
Vickers is showing his worth as a possible full time driver
Go Jamie!
Montoya should have won it... Terrible call for 4 tires imo
Terrible call for 4 tires? Did you not see what won the race?

The caution ruined him, not what happened in the pits. Feel terrible for him though, he deserved it before that caution.
Yeah, that really sucked for him. He'll get one someday, though. Maybe Indy this year... he always runs well there.
That was probably the best all around race of the year I felt bad for Montoya, but I think he'll have more chances later on this year to win a race. Still a very good run from him.
Quote from PMD9409 :Terrible call for 4 tires? Did you not see what won the race?

The caution ruined him, not what happened in the pits. Feel terrible for him though, he deserved it before that caution.

Your right, but I think he had a good enough car to do 2.

2013 NASCAR Thread for the Rednecks
(1309 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG