The online racing simulator
Quote from Rappa Z :Really don't mind the look except for those horrid sharkfins. At least they sorta blended in on F1 cars; here they just look like pieces of cardboard taped to the cars.

I think that's because that's the way most teams thought about it. I say on the next generation of vehicles it will be more integrated (Audi at least ran it into the wing support).

I still think the 'big honking fin' was the wrong move by the ACO. Sure, it'll help keep the car in line in some situations, but the event that the car does get sideways it will only make the flipping problem worse. What they should have done was mandated a horizontal fin (like an air splitter) down the side of the car between the front and rear wheels. That would create a high pressure zone above the fin (when the car is sliding), keeping the car down. All the big fin will do is act as a lever (high on the car) to let the air roll the body enough to flip the car over.

I guess the ACO just wanted to mask billboards as a safety feature...
Quote from MoMo92i :
- wtf are these cars? R18 is simply an ugly wind tunnel missil which have no place into a car museum. It looks like a formula one which some bodywork and I think that's not Le Mans.

Fear of being beaten again? Not the first time Germany waltzed into France, and came away with alot of money, won't be the last either.
Really looking forward to see it on track
Quote from BlueFlame :Fear of being beaten again? Not the first time Germany waltzed into France, and came away with alot of money, won't be the last either.

Nice spirit You know WWII was 66 years ago, now French and german are friend. And some french drivers are winning for german teams.
Quote from MoMo92i :Nice spirit You know WWII was 66 years ago, now French and german are friend. And some french drivers are winning for german teams.

I was only joking.
Quote :24 heures du Mans 2011 entry list :

LMP2 (11 cars)
OAK Racing (OAK-Pescarolo) : Barlesi
OAK Racing (OAK-Pescarolo) : Da Rocha
Team ORECA-Matmut (ORECA 03) : Ayari
Strakka Racing (HPD ARX-01d) : Leventis
Greaves Motorsport (Zytek) : Ojjeh
Race Performance (ORECA 03) : Frey
Pecom Racing (Lola Coupe) : Perez-Companc
RML (HPD) : Newton
Level 5 Motorsports (Lola Coupe) : Tucker
Signatech- Nissan (ORECA 03) : Monteiro
Signatech-Nissan (ORECA 03) : Mailleux

LMP1 (17 cars)
Aston Martin Racing : AMR 1 : Primat
Aston Martin Racing : AMR 1 : Mücke
OAK Racing (OAK-Pescarolo) : Hein
OAK Racing (OAK-Pescarolo) : Lahaye
Quifel ASM Team (Zytek) : Amaral
Highcroft Racing (HPD) : Brabham
Pescarolo Team (Pescarolo-Judd) : Collard
Rebellion Racing : Lola-Toyota : Bellichi
Rebellion Racing (Lola-Toyota) : Prost
Team ORECA-Matmut (Peugeot 908 HDi FAP) : Lapierre
Team Peugeot Total (Peugeot 908) : Bourdais
Peugeot Sport Total (Peugeot 908) Sarrazin
Peugeot Sport Total (Peugeot 908) : Davidson
Hope Racing (ORECA 03) : Zacchia
Audi Sport North America (Audi R18) : Kristensen
Audi Sport Team Joest (Audi R18) : Fässler
Audi Sport Team Joest (Audi R18) : Bernhard

waiting list :
Extreme Limite (Norma) : Rosier
Kronos Racing (Lola Aston Martin) : Ickx
Rangoni Motorsports (Zytek) : Geri
Boutsen Energy Racing (ORECA 03) : Kraihamer
Pegasus Racing (Courage-ORECA) : Schell

LM GTE-Pro (18 cars) :
Hankook (Ferrari F458) : Farnbacher
Team Felbermayr-Proton (Porsche 997 GT3-RSR) : Luhr
Team Felbermayr-Proton (Porsche 997 GT3-RSR) : Lieb
Flying Lizard (Porsche 997 GT3-RSR) : Bergmeister
Jota Sport (Aston Martin Vanatge) : Hankock
IMSA Performance-Matmut (Porsche 997 GT3-RSR) : Narac
ProSpeed Competition (Porsche 997 GT3-RSR) : Goossens
Corvette Racing (Corvette C6.R) : Gavin
Corvette Racing (Corvette C6.R) : Beretta
AF Corse (Ferrari F458) : Kaufmann
JMW Motorsport (Ferrari F458): Bell
Lotus Jetalliance (Lotus Evora): Lichtner-Hoyer
Lotus Jetalliance (Lotus Evora) : Eckert
Luxury Racing (Ferrari F458) : Ortelli
Luxury Racing (Ferrari F458) : Beltoise
BMW Motorsport (BMW M3) : Priaulx
BMW Motorsport (BMW M3) : Farfus
AF Corse (Ferrari F458) : Fisichella

LMGTE-Am (10 cars) :
JMB (Ferrari F430) : Rodrigues
Flying Lizard : Neiman
Larbre (Porsche 997 GT3-RSR) : Bourret
Robertson (Doran-Ford) : David Robertson
Proton (Porsche 997 GT3-RSR) : Felbernayr
CRS Racing (Ferrari F430) : Ehret
AF Corse (Ferrari F430) : Perrazzini
Gulf AMR Middle East : Aston Martin Vantage) : Giroix
Krohn Racing (Ferrari F430) : Krohn
Larbre Compétition (Corvette C6.R) : Bornhauser

Waiting list :

Robertson Racing : David Murry
ProSpeed Competition : Paul van Splunteren
Tolimit Arabia : Sascha Maassen
Young Driver AMR : Tomas Enge
BMS Scuderia Italia : Romain Grosjean

according to endurance-info.com

Nice field ! Peugeot, Audi, AMR, Toyota, Honda, Pescarolo in P1; Porsche, Ferrari, BMW, Corvette, Ford, AMR, Lotus in GT ! What a nice grid. A bit surprise not to see BMS Scuderia in that list...btw they have won 24h of Spa and finished 3rd in Le Mans in 2010.
Nice!
Quote from MoMo92i :according to endurance-info.com

Nice field ! Peugeot, Audi, AMR, Toyota, Honda, Pescarolo in P1; Porsche, Ferrari, BMW, Corvette, Ford, AMR, Lotus in GT ! What a nice grid. A bit surprise not to see BMS Scuderia in that list...btw they have won 24h of Spa and finished 3rd in Le Mans in 2010.

Nice! I am looking forward for this race. Lotus in GT is surprise for me.
Lotus? Really? I had no idea they had a GT2 spec car... I thought they only had a GT4 spec Evora. That will be tasty!

Why is Neiman's Flying Lizard in GT-AM? He's not an amateur, he's done a lot of driving afaik. Maybe just never at LeMans?

Also, why do all the entries only have one driver listed?

[EDIT]
http://www.lotuscars.com/news/en/le-mans-with-jetalliance
because atm entry need only one driver. ACO decided to do so last season in order to have an idea of what kind of driver gonna drive.
Rumours say that Toyota provides a version of their Super GT V8, the one from the SC340, the LMP2 entry from Zytek is said to be based on a 4.5 V8 from Nissan

And german Sportauto wrote that Aston Martin will run a turbo engine, any info on that?

edit:
So much about about the Nissan ... he Chassis is from Oreca)

Quote from MAGGOT :I think that's because that's the way most teams thought about it. I say on the next generation of vehicles it will be more integrated (Audi at least ran it into the wing support).

What else the rules really allow to do with it?

Aesthetically best option would to be to consult army camouflage experts.

Quote :I still think the 'big honking fin' was the wrong move by the ACO. Sure, it'll help keep the car in line in some situations, but the event that the car does get sideways it will only make the flipping problem worse. What they should have done was mandated a horizontal fin (like an air splitter) down the side of the car between the front and rear wheels. That would create a high pressure zone above the fin (when the car is sliding), keeping the car down. All the big fin will do is act as a lever (high on the car) to let the air roll the body enough to flip the car over.

And there have been suggestions that Peugeot's testing shunt had something to do with this fin. Very little info on this incident and according to Peugeot itself, it probably never happened but Gene talked about it... sideways+airborne and "It was the biggest accident I have ever had in my career", considering that the his test day crash from 2008 was pretty big already...
ALMS' new television deal might be bad for the series in the short/long run but not for us international viewers:

http://www.americanlemans.com/primary1.php?cat=tv

"You don't get ESPN3? Have no fear. The same incredible live qualifying and race coverage will be available on this website. No matter where you're located in the world, you'll be able to watch."

:cool:
ALMS.com will cover all races online? That's great.

But what about 24h of Le Mans, will this be viewable anywhere online? Last year I found Speed partial coverage online, partial was on TV, but we don't have Speed.
yeah, last year i was able o watch the whole race on MotorsTV, but my pay-TV provider cancelled MotorTVs broadcast for no apparent reason some month ago
Haven't watched MotorsTV since it's gone pay-tv about 2 years ago, until then, it was only satellite and not pay-tv...

Damn, I saw the Bathurst V8 Race once...

Let's see how many Swiss drivers are going to drive at Le Mans.
Quote from deggis :What else the rules really allow to do with it?

Aesthetically best option would to be to consult army camouflage experts.

You'd be surprised what can be accomplished with a creative interpretation of the rules.
Quote from xfirestorm :But what about 24h of Le Mans, will this be viewable anywhere online? Last year I found Speed partial coverage online, partial was on TV, but we don't have Speed.

Quote from ACCAkut :yeah, last year i was able o watch the whole race on MotorsTV, but my pay-TV provider cancelled MotorTVs broadcast for no apparent reason some month ago

Assuming Eurosport still has the rights: checkout Eurosport Player. It costs 4.90 € / one-month subscription. With that you get both the Eurosport main channel and Eurosport 2, which is nice since the coverage is likely once again split 60-50 on both channels. Last year the streams used Silverlight (unfortunately, I would prefer Flash/x264) and highest bitrate option was around 1.2 Mbps. I've used this twice (2009 & 2010) and I am planning to do it again. Peace of mind, instead of relying on some random justin.tv streams that might or might not show the race and the price is quite negligible if divided by 24 hours*, imho.

* + practices/qualies + warmup + classic race, Eurosport's coverage is actually decent excluding the terrible French pit interviewers.
Yeah well, that is an option, unfortunately I found it too late as I thought our local TV will be streaming full 24h online again like it did in 2009.

If they wont do it this year, Imma write a hate mail to them. They can stream all those MotoGP, F1 and other road sports just fine, but when it comes to the queen of all racing they kinda back down. Not to mention all those football/basketball/etcball matches in xyz league.
Quote :A statement released to DSC by Peugeot Sport reads as follows:

"The car went off the circuit [Paul Ricard] with Nicolas at the wheel. It was an accident during a private session and we do not therefore wish to comment any further"

Minassian is reported to be okay and Peugeot Sport indeed also confirmed that he will be at a pre-season training camp this weekend with the other members of their driving squad.

That clarification was particularly welcome after a DSC source reported that the accident saw the Peugeot leave the track and clear the trackside fence, with the wreckage arriving back in the paddock on a truck and trailer.

Anti-flip-fin in action. :worried:
Quote from deggis :Anti-flip-fin in action. :worried:

Quote from MAGGOT :I still think the 'big honking fin' was the wrong move by the ACO. Sure, it'll help keep the car in line in some situations, but the event that the car does get sideways it will only make the flipping problem worse. What they should have done was mandated a horizontal fin (like an air splitter) down the side of the car between the front and rear wheels. That would create a high pressure zone above the fin (when the car is sliding), keeping the car down. All the big fin will do is act as a lever (high on the car) to let the air roll the body enough to flip the car over.

Yup.
Read somewhere that it might be a broken suspension^^ cant confirm it though
Here is the new Aston Martin! It will race at the Paul Ricard

A bit weird at first sight but in the end I think it looks pretty cool
Sure the I6 ( ) Turbo sound won't be as terrifying as the old V12 hehe

Le Mans/ILMC/ALMS 2011
(690 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG