The online racing simulator
depends on the regs. Now that Nissan, Toyota and Honda are racing in LMS again, who knows. Is their any other wankel engine in development besides that 16X ? maybe a 24X ?
Quote from Sueycide_FD :Wouldn't be surprised if Mazda did field a car or engine. I remember they supplied a engine to a P2 team awhile ago and then the furai soon after. They're up to something. Just taking abit longer.

OAK Racing used Mazda powerplants in their LMP2 car in 2009, taking 3rd in class in the 24H of Le Mans. Also the Dyson car in ALMS like Deggis said. The only 4-cylinder turbocharged car in the field
Quote from ACCAkut :depends on the regs. Now that Nissan, Toyota and Honda are racing in LMS again, who knows.

They are not, they are just supplying engines. If full P1 program materializes from Toyota then this engine deal with Rebellion & possibly others will be completely separate from that (according to Mulsanne Mike).

Quote :Is their any other wankel engine in development besides that 16X ? maybe a 24X ?

Expect Mazda to continue with the 4 cyl turbo.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com ... ing-lmp2-effort-for-2012/
http://www.racecar-engineering ... esel-sportscar-programme/

...or diesel
btw that engine was AER engine renamed by Mazda speed and it was totally under powered by the regulation and not reliable at all...and very expensive too ^^
Great news, but the world is ending in 2012 so it could be a joke afterall.

Great news, but we got to wait so long!!!
best thing is, i dont see porsche running a tractor engine
as i understand it Audi stays, using its diesel, and Porsche runs petrol. I wonder if they go n/a or turbo, imagine 2.0 flat-6 (can't be flat-4, thats Subaru territory :razz
Quote from ACCAkut :(can't be flat-4, thats Subaru territory :razz

Not really, Porsche used flat-4 in the 356 for one.
I know, and technically the VW Käfer with its flat-4 was a Porsche too. But atm the flat-4 is Subarus trademark engine.
I once daydreamed about a Subaru WRC engined LMP2, low CoG, longliveability, sound
Quote from ACCAkut :
I once daydreamed about a Subaru WRC engined LMP2, low CoG, longliveability, sound

Yea, just a shame Subaru only deal with 4WD these days... How about their diesel flat-4 whats up with that?
Quote from ACCAkut :as i understand it Audi stays, using its diesel, and Porsche runs petrol. I wonder if they go n/a or turbo, imagine 2.0 flat-6 (can't be flat-4, thats Subaru territory :razz

I vote for the 997 GT2 RS engine: 3.6L H6 twin-turbo, pumping out 612 horses.
well they cant do that, its either 3.7 N/A or 2.0 Turbo (or is that only for LMP1?)
Quote from ACCAkut :well they cant do that, its either 3.7 N/A or 2.0 Turbo (or is that only for LMP1?)

I think you're confusing LMP1 with LMP2.

LMP1 is maximum 6L NA, 4L for turbo/super-charged petrol, 5.5L for turbo diesel. No cyl limit.

LMP2 is maximum 3.4L NA with max 8 cyl, 2L for turbo petrol with max 6 cyl, and 4.4L for turbo diesel. All engines have to be production-based.
You're quoting the old regs. Here are the new

note that LMP2 engines must be modified production engines, hence more capacity allowed.
Attached images
Clipboard02.jpg
Darn.

So LMP2 cars could potentially have more powerful engines than LMP1?!!!! How strange!

And I see that the ACO continues to ignore the disparity between diesel and petrol...
Quote from samjh :Darn.

So LMP2 cars could potentially have more powerful engines than LMP1?!!!! How strange!

And I see that the ACO continues to ignore the disparity between diesel and petrol...

Yes and no, but LMP2 engines must be modified production engines, while LMP1 engines can be designed specificaly for the race car.
Take for example an F1 engine. How many engines exist with more displacement than the F1 engine? And the F1 engine is still more powerfull.
New LMP2 car from Lotus:
Source

And Porsche also planning to comeback to LMP1 in 2014:
Source

Going to be awesome!
hm... photo just got deleted...
Apparently we aren't supposed to know about that
Quote from samjh :Darn.

nop because of air restrictor ^^

I have heard someting about Dome...
this week end there is Spa 24 hours !

It would be a really nice race because about 15 cars can win it ! Mercedes, Audi, Porsche, Ferrari, BMW, Aston Martin, McLaren,...so many constructor involved, that will be a great fight for sure !

Le Mans/ILMC/ALMS 2011
(690 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG