The online racing simulator
Women Drivers !!!
(184 posts, closed, started )
#76 - 5haz
I think men and women aren't really as different as they like to think they are, at least in the mind.

All this lark about spacial awareness or multi-tasking is just stereotyping, there are plenty of people who don't fit the stereotypes.

The way society works is built too much around these stereotypes, I think the reason why women are seen as worse drivers and why we see less successful women in racing is largely because of the way people are conditioned right from birth, girls are expected to play with dolls and like horses while boys are expected to play with toy guns and like planes, trains and automobiles and war. Thats not necessarily the way it should be.

I think thats changing though, In the short time I've been racing I've been easily beaten by several women.
Quote from Becky Rose :That would be a different matter! I would need some serious cobweb dusting seat time to take on the best in the world, I've done an international race and I know how quick a few of those guys are - and yes, with sufficient funds, track time, and unbroken ribs i'd be there. As none of these things are likely any time soon - no, no i'm not up there.

what race was this?
Quote from 5haz :I think men and women aren't really as different as they like to think they are, at least in the mind.

All this lark about spacial awareness or multi-tasking is just stereotyping, there are plenty of people who don't fit the stereotypes.

The way society works is built too much around these stereotypes, I think the reason why women are seen as worse drivers and why we see less successful women in racing is largely because of the way people are conditioned right from when they are born, girls are expected to play with dolls and like horses while boys are expected to play with toy guns and like planes, trains and automobiles. Thats not necessarily the way it should be.

I think thats changing though, In the short time I've been racing I've been easily beaten by several women.

You can't deny genetics. I for one don't think women are genetically slower than men, but I do think men are genetically more hard-wired to do activities like motorsport and so on. Girls like dolls because they are designed/evolved to look after children much more acutely than males. You will always get exceptions of course as in any case that prove the rule.
#80 - 5haz
There is evidence beginning to suggest that people have different talents from birth, but I still think social 'conditioning' plays a significant role in why people of certain groups or genders end up living the lives they do.
Why in a PM? Cmon Becky, show us your international race results.
#82 - 5haz
The terms "men" and "women" describe very large groups, generalisations are necessary and whether Becky Rose is the very best (kart) driver on this board, or in the world even, is of next to no statistical significance.

My impression is that women tend to make mistakes out of ignorance, men out of risk-proclivity. Individuals of both groups occasionally fall out of the pattern, but not enough individuals to change the big picture.
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :Why in a PM? Cmon Becky, show us your international race results.

You meen result. I did one race and I came 30/40th...... I didnt want to clog this thread up and or go on and on about me me me - that's why I PM'd it.
Quote from 5haz :You like a good PM don't you? :mischievo

Especially ones from you pumpkin, you make my day
#86 - 5haz
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :Especially ones from you pumpkin, you make my day

Likewise, you posted a whinge thread on an official game forum, then you were shocked when everybody didn't exactly run to pat you on the back for it.

Then you PM me throwing your toys out of the pram because you just made yourself look like a complete mong infront of everyone and you're trying to find someone else to blame other than yourself. :rolleyes:
Quote from 5haz :Likewise, you posted a whinge thread on an official game forum, then you were shocked when everybody didn't exactly run to pat you on the back for it.

Then you PM me throwing your toys out of the pram because you just made yourself look like a complete mong infront of everyone and you're trying to find someone else to blame other than yourself. :rolleyes:

I wasn't throwing my toys out of the pram at all, just saying what i thought of you. The above comment wasn't to get at you either, just banter.
#88 - 5haz
Yeah, you were throwing your toys out of the pram, block captals and just about every internet argument cliche in the book.

If I were you I'd be so embarrased by myself I'd have to leave this forum and never return.
Quote from 5haz :Yeah, you were throwing your toys out of the pram, block captals and all.

If I were you I'd be so embarrased by myself I'd have to leave this forum and never return.

We can but hope
I didn't have anything to be embarrased about, everyone inside lfs's "racing circle" agreed with me, i don't care what the average forum troll thinks of me, you should know that by now, you've been around long enough.

LMAO big Trisitan to the rescue!!
Quote from tristancliffe :
But I agree, a track is just a bit of tarmac like a road. Conditions are just as, if not more, changeable.

No, because race tracks are cleaned when the track isn't being used, and the track doesn't get used as much as a public road. The conditions of a closed circuit aren't as changeable as a normal road, plus the fact the tarmac compound is completely different on a race track, to a road.
#92 - 5haz
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :I didn't have anything to be embarrased about, everyone inside lfs's "racing circle" agreed with me, i don't care what the average forum troll thinks of me, you should know that by now, you've been around long enough.

LFS's racing circle you say, from what i read in that thread it seems you have only entered a few leagues and failed to turn up to most of the races, which I would imagine is quite an embarrasing revelation considering you like to preach about how you were such a hardcore super important racer and want more from LFS.

FYI, I race pretty much every day, but I usually don't feel the need to brag about it, I'm not bored of LFS yet either. The devs couldn't give a toss what you think or whether you go somewhere else.

Quote from pearcy_2k7 :LMAO big Trisitan to the rescue!!

Oh I'm pretty sure its not just me or Tristan who would like you to dissapear, forever.
Quote from Becky Rose :so I challenged the male stereotype of being fast - highlighting that everyone here thinks they're racing drivers to some degree or other - and that I was quicker than the vast majority.

So as I never see myself as any form of racing driver (I'm too slow for that), if I beat you at the kart meet, does that mean I can run around screaming you're sexist and doing loser signs to you all day?
Quote from 5haz :LFS's racing circle you say, from what i read in that thread it seems you have only entered a few leagues and failed to turn up to most of the races, which I would imagine is quite an embarrasing revelation considering you like to preach about how you were such a hardcore racer and wanter more from LFS.

Most of my league races were in MoE and IGTC, i've done 27 league races actually.

FYI, I race pretty much every day, but I usually don't feel the need to brag about it, I'm not bored of LFS yet either.

Oh I'm pretty sure its not just me or Tristan who would like you to dissapear, forever.

Oh that hurt sharon....
#95 - 5haz
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :Oh that hurt sharon....

From what I read, you hardly showed up to most of them.

Either way, when or where you race has no impact on what kind of person you are or how important you are in this community.
Quote from BlueFlame :No, because race tracks are cleaned when the track isn't being used, and the track doesn't get used as much as a public road. The conditions of a closed circuit aren't as changeable as a normal road, plus the fact the tarmac compound is completely different on a race track, to a road.

Tracks are cleaned? They aren't in the UK!
Compound might be different, but it's still an oil based tarmacadam product.
A public road is used between 0 and 80mph regularly, and a tiny tiny minority ever get close to 'the limit'. Even if the grip of the road was to halve, then 99% of people wouldn't have to change their speed. A track is used at the limit, and as such a 1% change in conditions results in active change for the drivers to compensate/overcome that. Therefore, in my humble opinion, a track is more changeable.

Hell, even on crap tyres and driving slightly faster than the average person, I don't normally have to adjust my speed until the ground is either white or very much mirror like. Roads and road cars are so forgiving (at road speeds).
Quote from tristancliffe :Tracks are cleaned? They aren't in the UK!
Compound might be different, but it's still an oil based tarmacadam product.
A public road is used between 0 and 80mph regularly, and a tiny tiny minority ever get close to 'the limit'. Even if the grip of the road was to halve, then 99% of people wouldn't have to change their speed. A track is used at the limit, and as such a 1% change in conditions results in active change for the drivers to compensate/overcome that. Therefore, in my humble opinion, a track is more changeable.

Yea, using that logic, you would be right in saying that, but pushing your car on a public road and a track are too different things, because you find even in a road car, there isn't really such thing as a limit on a race track because the track has alot to give, and is more forgiving. ABS means you can brake as late as anything and get away with it, and tcs or ecs means you will never exceed the limits of a car, and certainly not on a race track.
#98 - 5haz
Quote from tristancliffe :Tracks are cleaned? They aren't in the UK!

They are, I know this because when I backed it into the gravel at Brands at the end of 07 and sprayed gravel all over the track I offered to run out there with a broom and sweep it off.
Quote from 5haz :From what I read, you hardly showed up to most of them.

Either way, when or where you race has no impact on what kind of person you are or how important you are in this community.

So why bring it up then? I might not have done that many standard league races, because i was concentrating on IGTC/MoE at that time, which needs quite alot of dedication. None of the other leagues tickled my fancy really. Either way, i'm inside the racing circle and your not, get over it.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :So as I never see myself as any form of racing driver (I'm too slow for that), if I beat you at the kart meet, does that mean I can run around screaming you're sexist and doing loser signs to you all day?

Yes darling. :P

Although in doing so you'll put yourself in the category of "men" and therefor, by default, somebody who thinks they can drive a car really fast - and thus become one of the self-certified racing drivers I was talking about ;P
This thread is closed

Women Drivers !!!
(184 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG