The online racing simulator
codemasters f1 2010
(533 posts, started )
Getting my review copy soon, I'm honestly quite interested, seems fun.
Quote from Boris Lozac :I'm guessing this would be most fun played on keyboard (no elitism here). Honestly, Codemasters games were always great and made sense with keyboard, at least the CMR series.

It's absolutely shocking on a keyboard, and pretty bloody awful on a joypad as well. Once you fiddle with the settings enough it feels very good with a wheel.

The physics are surprisingly fun. The only thing I'm really not happy with in this game are the canned recoveries. If you start going into a spin the whole spinning and recovery has almost nothing to do with you. It's weird and very disconcerting when it happens.

I wish at the highest levels with no aids they'd left that completely in control of the user. Still, it gives you more incentive not to get into a spin in the first place

This really is the most F1 fun I've had since GP4. I ony wish we could get something with this gameplay and the physics of Ferrari Virtual Academy.
@ Moose

How is the AI? People on the Codemasters forum are complaining that they are getting top ten finishes in the Lotus and HRT on the hardest modes.
They arent bad. Certainly fun to race with, as they will fight back and wont let you pass easily.

The main problem is that their "ideal line" is somewhat buggy. For example, through the new Bahrain complex sweepers they tend to slow down a lot, and quite early, which allows for some easy divebombs.

Not sure if there are similar problems on other tracks, but I would imagine so.

Also, the pitlane bug is really getting annoying now. It drives you past your crew, and then magically turns in at like 180 degrees in an instant. Just looks and feels very weird.
It's surprisingly playable
More reviews please!!!
Here in Mexico is delayed for 1 week or 2 days
#283 - AMB
Was it because people who ordered it accidentally got sent Ol Del Paso tortilla wraps instead of the game?
lol
#285 - AMB
Ha, I know someone who has the game, I'll try get some screenshots but if I do it will be tomorrow now because he is in bed
I am impressed with the AI. the handling is a arcadey, but still fun. EXCEPT that on the limit, at low speeds (corner apex and exit) I cant feel the tires losing grip till it is pretty much too late. I havent been able to powerslide through corners like i can in other open wheel sims (rfactor, lfs, ferrari virtual academy, etc) it is grip grip grip, then 90-360 degree spin. This is with traction control off, no aids, on expert difficulty.

The AI is fun to fight with, though they back off a bit to easily at times. The car acts retarded when pitting. and the guy with the lollipop is super cautious when letting you come out of the pits. Considering this uses the same engine as DiRT 2, i was expecting traction on the limit to be a bit more fun to play with. someone else pointed out that the cars feel like they have open differentials, and that is a good way to describe it.

I havent done racing in the rain yet.
Reaction to F1 2010 release sounds like.

OMGWTFBBQ not a sim omfg codemasters delete after 10 minutes super fail hardcore sim elites noobs want more kthxbaii.

I dont know why a game has to be better then something else or worst of something?? Why cant i just be taken for what it is? A game about F1??
ive been waiting for a fun racing game to come along since F1 2000 :eclipsee_
#289 - AMB
I've been waiting for a good simulator update since December 2009
Quote from AMB :I've been waiting for a good simulator update since December 2009

but you are just yet another stuck up c unt trying to keep that "serious simracer image" since racing is serious business with LFS...

too bad no one cares

EDIT: actually scratch that since i know you are just whoring for attention, amb. but the rest genuinely believing so... is scary
Quote from Gabkicks :EXCEPT that on the limit, at low speeds (corner apex and exit) I cant feel the tires losing grip till it is pretty much too late. I havent been able to powerslide through corners like i can in other open wheel sims (rfactor, lfs, ferrari virtual academy, etc) it is grip grip grip, then 90-360 degree spin. This is with traction control off, no aids, on expert difficulty.

I shall reserve judgement until I have tried it myself, but if it is truly like this then I will be very disappointed considering how fun Dirt 2 was to drive over the limit of traction.
#292 - AMB
Quote from Fuse5 :but you are just yet another stuck up c unt trying to keep that "serious simracer image" since racing is serious business with LFS...

too bad no one cares

EDIT: actually scratch that since i know you are just whoring for attention, amb. but the rest genuinely believing so... is scary

If I was trolling, I'd say I was doing a pretty good job, because I always get the idiots who think they know what they are talking about replying to me and feeding me, especially since it's this attention I so dearly 'crave' and 'desire' since I am a troll as you put it, Oh and I'm a serious racer, I win win win, and then I win some more.
As a whole package, that is (ideally for codemasters) aimed at people who don't really stray outside of gran turismo/pgr/forza - i think it's a well rounded game. It does have quite a good level of interaction, like when your waiting in pit during qualy and practice and you can look at all the info's around you - it's quite immersive. People can bitch about physics all day long, but at the end of the day the majority of people who will play this want throttle, brake, steering and reset/flashback

I've never been the fastest or most consistent in racing games, and neither am i in f1 2010, but it is enjoyable playing it! Looks sexy aswell and runs faultlessy maxed out.
Quote from anttt69 :I was refering to people getting excited, danowat was reffering to the game being exciting. two different things.

No, it's the same thing. People are excited by the game (or what it represents); therefore the game is exciting. It is, quite literally, exciting them.
I agree with some of the posts above, this forum seems to have lost the plot sometimes. Since when does any racing game (yes I said game because no matter how realistic it is, its still a game) and games are for fun. Who cares if it doesn't handle 100% like a F1 (not that you would know though) as long as it is fun. Those people who have said they played it for 5 or 10 minutes - Instant gratification much? There is no way you can judge the full extent of a game and how ti handles in that time. Maybe forming an idea but no way a 100% representative view.
I think Codemaster has done a great job with this game. Who cares if the physics isn't 100% accurate? This game is for everyone, mainly for those who don't play racing game that often. The game isn't too arcade, but isn't too realistic (otherwise no one would be able to drive the damn thing). I think it's great fun.

Although it does really annoys me when it tells me I am cutting the corner and invalidate my lap when I run wide on corner exit.
This and the new Civ game look pretty tempting.

No time for either though for about the next month
In many ways it is rubbish.

The AI jerk about and take stupid lines
The pit entry exit system is rubbish
The handling is sub-par in many ways, although I can just about catch slides, but I can't instigate them on purpose. The engine overheats way to easily.

So it is NOT a sim. It's really quite unrealistic. Anyone who says it is either doesn't know any better (F1 drivers might know the real thing, but they have little idea what makes a game realistic for sim-nerds) or have been paid to say so.

Having said that, it's fun. I'll keep unlocking my Steam version until it's officially released and playing it when I can... Time isn't a commodity I have lots of, but I did stay up until 1am playing it in a darkened room. The last time I did that with a game (other than LFS) was in my student days.

So it get's a mixed review from me. Awful in some ways. But still very entertaining, at least for now.

I just need to keep tweaking the controls to get them a little better - no lag here, but the sensitivity needs fine tuning a bit, and the FFB needs toning down a little in terms of kerb effects (kerbs don't feel like that). Oh, and I have to work out how to get FSAA in the game. It's enabled in Catalyst CC, and it's enabled in game, but the jaggies are NASTY.

Oh, and I have to drive in cockpit view, even though the silly camera shake gives me a headache. I can't judge corners from the T-Bar, and I refuse to use a chase cam (not that I could drive from it) as I'm older than 4. I hope someone finds a way of toning down the head-shake. Static head cam would be far better.

I might have a quick go at lunch time (when I should be packing my racing clothes for the weekend). That's how much fun it is despite it being shit.
Hopefully codemasters can patch out some of the issues, however, AI is always a bone of contention, I've yet to see a game where the AI does a good job.
One more thing - Penalties are freaking terrible.

A slightest of touches and you get warned. Going off the track and actually lengthening the course will also give you a warning...

To add to all of this, spinning out in FP gave me a 5 grid place penalty... I mean... What the...?

Also, last night in my Bahrain race around half way through, Di Grassi took off half of my wing. I was ready to pit when I noticed it did not affect the handling in any way, and I was still being able to put in the same lap times.

Anyways, despite all these "problems" its an absolutely a blast. Will do Melbourne Qualy and race later today.

codemasters f1 2010
(533 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG