The online racing simulator
codemasters f1 2010
(533 posts, started )
I went to buy it and it was sold out, So my bros are gonna go get a copy now
I'm trying to get it working with my DFP, but it's not even detecting it. IIRC it wasn't amongst the supported wheels, but i thought it will work... any idea how can i cheat the game to get it working?
Quote from tristancliffe :...It's enabled in Catalyst CC, and it's enabled in game...

That's your problem. With ATI cards you need to enable it either ingame or in the CCC, but never in both, otherwise it won't work
Quote from DevilDare :One more thing - Penalties are freaking terrible.

Well, I guess they were so busy making a game engine that can simulate the arbitrary penalties handed out by the FIA that they didn't have time to work on the physics.
Ahok.

I used to install other ATi drivers (I forget their name now), which got rid of CCC. But I don't play enough games or have the time to fiddle, so I just leave the official drivers in place.

Might need updating though

Should I just leave everything in CCC on "application decides" or whatever it's called?
Just got my copy from Shopto.net and installing now.

Personally I can't wait to try it out and give it a good run, and really I'm not looking for a simulation here; but just a good game that is pretty close to F1.
Just like Dan said I really hope they can patch out most of the bugs and I hope modders get a chance to make the game closer to what some people want

I really do hate most of the mods for rFactor and FSone has really been the only one I liked, but ofc I may aswell wait for the Williams F1 for iRacing haha.

Well.. it looks very pretty and sounds pretty good.. that's where the good stuff ends.

Simply put, it's undrivable. The canned oversteer and recovery physics just look and feel horrible and totally kill the immersion that the nice graphics and sounds manage to create. Force feedback is vague (and laggy) and doesn't really give you any idea when you're on the limit, I guess the closest comparison for it would be NFS Shift, it's very similar. I know modern mainstream casual racing games have nasty input lag on vital car controls (steering, gas/brake) but this is the first time I've seen actual SHIFT lag.

I didn't bother trying driving with a keyboard or a gamepad, both which are propably the controllers that this game is meant to be played with.

The rain effects and visuals in general are extremely well done. If only they would have bothered to give the same shine and polish for the physics and drivability, then we'd have a decent semi-sim here.
Quote from tristancliffe :Should I just leave everything in CCC on "application decides" or whatever it's called?

Yup, just do the settings inside the game, leave it an application control in CCC

Agree with your summary above. If you look beyond the surface it's shit (from a sim racers point of view) but it's still surprisingly compelling and fun.

It's the only Codemasters racing game since the original CMR and TOcA that I haven't deleted within a day.
Quote from tristancliffe :...I used to install other ATi drivers (I forget their name now), which got rid of CCC

Omega maybe?

Quote from tristancliffe :Should I just leave everything in CCC on "application decides" or whatever it's called?

As The Moose said, yes
It feels absolutely terrible to drive, again I haven't tried with keys or a pad.
There's a boatload of things that can be changed in various config files with regards to feedback and stuff...maybe someone who has the time will post some good settings at some point.

Best bit so far is that you can Alt+Enter to toggle fullscreen/windowed, so can surf the web or talk shite in IRC during the many long loading screens.
Quote from Electrik Kar :This and the new Civ game look pretty tempting.

^ That. Who needs any F1 game having a new Civ?
Quote from NitroNitrous :Omega maybe?

As The Moose said, yes

Omega, that's it!

I tried forcing AA/AF on in CCC and turning it off in game - no change. I tried allowing Application Decides in CCC and having it on in game - no change. Still jaggies.

I'll try updating my drivers, but it'll be next week now and tomorrow, Sat and Sun are real racing days.

Looking forward to various text-file-tweaks that'll improve it, but patches for the various bugs and oversights. I don't think it's been beta tested much.

The rain is nice though. The lack of visibility in the spray of a leading car is pretty good - maybe a bit too much, but it's a game and I accept that.

The AI isn't just poor - the way they jerk around and nearly stop at some apexes is rather annoying, especially when I can go so much faster at the same points. I tend to lose out in traction zones though. And this is on Extreme or Pro or whatever the 'hardest' setting is.

Can anyone sign into Live yet? I can't (with or without the Steam workaround VPN connection), so each time I start the game I have to set everything up again. Grrrr.
I need a good g25 settings value please
In Windows Control Panel, set your rotation to about 500°, with the usual 101/0/0 settings on the sliders.

In F1 2010 set steering dead zone to 0, the next one to 40 and the next one down to 50. Both brake and accel should have no deadzone and the other slider on 90%.

I forget the actual names of the sliders, hence just putting "the next one down".

It's not perfect, but it's not bad. I can catch slides in the car, and the FFB (On, 70/100/90 in the FFB settings) isn't totally useless - but not far off.

I'm sure over time better settings will surface, but these are okay.
Quote from tristancliffe :In Windows Control Panel, set your rotation to about 500°, with the usual 101/0/0 settings on the sliders.

In F1 2010 set steering dead zone to 0, the next one to 40 and the next one down to 50. Both brake and accel should have no deadzone and the other slider on 90%.

I forget the actual names of the sliders, hence just putting "the next one down".

It's not perfect, but it's not bad. I can catch slides in the car, and the FFB (On, 70/100/90 in the FFB settings) isn't totally useless - but not far off.

I'm sure over time better settings will surface, but these are okay.

Thanks Tristan i'll try that tonignt!
Quote from tristancliffe :Omega, that's it!

I tried forcing AA/AF on in CCC and turning it off in game - no change. I tried allowing Application Decides in CCC and having it on in game - no change. Still jaggies....

That reminds me an old game in which enabling AA was a nightmare... Welcome to the ATI world

Check the updates when you can then. Anyway, I use ATI Tray Tools instead of CCC so if you wanna give it a go...
installing now. Codemasters have got an excuse for bugs though as it is their first time doing F1. And codies have a tendency to care about their racing games since their first ever game was a racing game of sorts (BMX Simulator)
Quote from NitroNitrous :That reminds me an old game in which enabling AA was a nightmare... Welcome to the ATI world

Check the updates when you can then. Anyway, I use ATI Tray Tools instead of CCC so if you wanna give it a go...

I've always used ATi (apart from once, when I had nVidia, but I didn't like it - I think it was back in the days when nVidia couldn't make drivers... Maybe it's the other way around now).

I'll try Tray Tools next time.
Quote from tristancliffe :Oh, and I have to work out how to get FSAA in the game. It's enabled in Catalyst CC, and it's enabled in game, but the jaggies are nasty.

That could be an issue with textures. Try setting ansiotropic filter to max settings in CCC to see if that makes a difference.

I recall a similar issue in Toca Race Driver 2, but that turned out to be a low visual polygon count for track textures, and anti-aliasing seemed to have no effect on this.

What resolution are you using?
1680*1050

The jaggies are most apparent in the 'loading screen' where various banner tips float around, and in the paddock. On track I don't really notice them, but it doesn't make driving easier if you can't see the lines and kerbs you're aiming for due to the general noise from the jaggies.

I should also point out that I don't like the term jaggies, but couldn't think of a better one.
Quote from tristancliffe :

I should also point out that I don't like the term jaggies, but couldn't think of a better one.

Aliasing ?

Anti-aliasing gets rid of it/them after all
Quote from Matrixi : I know modern mainstream casual racing games have nasty input lag on vital car controls (steering, gas/brake) but this is the first time I've seen actual SHIFT lag.

I read somewhere that the shift lag is just the sound not the actuall shift, if you switch your sound to software (Rather than the hardware or whatever option) the lag improves a lot.
Brilliant game. Just did a 49 lap race (Barhain) Quite eventful.
Quote from tristancliffe :

Can anyone sign into Live yet? I can't (with or without the Steam workaround VPN connection), so each time I start the game I have to set everything up again. Grrrr.

In the microsoft live setting thingy, make an offline account, that's what i've done in the meantime. Can atleast save settings and game etc now
Control lag is evident on the 360 version too.

Certainly a mixed bag, almost impossible to play on the pad with all assists off, need a little bit of TC on as the throttle is almost on/off, when you nail the apexes just right it feels amazing, who gives a crap if its realistic.

Penalties are way over sensitive, AI aren't bad, better than many other racers, I wonder if they need a difficulty level above legend, I am getting top 10 finishes on legend in a Lotus on my first season.

codemasters f1 2010
(533 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG