The online racing simulator
Richard Burns Rally
(1109 posts, started )
#176 - Don
Quote from deggis :Also put every else help to off too. Even clutch help. In real life WRC cars doesn't need clutch while shifting (only when putting to reverse?) and it's just cooler to use the clutch manually in the start.

Real life WRC cars use clutch when starting to move, to change gears they dont have to use it. Few weeks ago i turned off the clutch help in my RBR and now its much better - the engine stalls much more often and that is more realistic. Also sometimes it takes like 30 seconds till the engine starts agin
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Is it possible that the record time for Tanner (japan) is a bit off?
On Tanner 2 it's easy to blow the record away. But on normal Tanner I was 5 seconds off when I tried it today. Though the conditions might have been sub-optimal. Who knows.

@Deggis: I do everything to not learn the stages. I never drive a stage twice and always drive one rally after another, so the time before I repeat a stage is as big as possible. That way RBR stays fresh.
Where's the fun in rallying when you actually know which turn will come after the next one? Really, I'd remove RBR from my harddrive if that was the case.

Vain
yeah ido the same thing deggis. the game is more fun if you try and keep yourself from memorizing the corners.
I just tried france in the snow with the rsrbr3 mod with the Evo6 for the 1st time
-
Hopefully the post man brings it io me tommorow, shame i'm at college.

I would play it on PS2 but it doesn't compare to the pc (Tried it once on the PC) and my copy has vanished!

I was thinking we should maybe do a little event, just a little thing between us. I done it for the PS2 a year or 2 ago and it was based on trust then, but save the stages incase someone thinks your to fast and wants to see proof. Or we could all submit replays to one person who individually check them, but that would take the fun out of it.

You can't drive a stage without ruining your front bumper. At least I didn't manage it yet
yeah you can as long as you dont land nose 1st on the jumps
@Bawbag
Good idea ! Lets compete ^^
btw, it seems that this thread had made a lot of people to buy this great game
Count me in, Bawbag. However, the simplest way to do it is just to play RBR online against each other
-
sounds good - although i'm shamelessly slow!
Quote from Vain :@Deggis: I do everything to not learn the stages. I never drive a stage twice and always drive one rally after another, so the time before I repeat a stage is as big as possible. That way RBR stays fresh.
Where's the fun in rallying when you actually know which turn will come after the next one? Really, I'd remove RBR from my harddrive if that was the case.

I don't mean I intentionally try to memorize but it just happens when you simply try to beat your old (in my case, crappy) record. And I don't literally "hotlap" (mostly because I'm slow). Btw hotlap times in RBR are pretty lame (e.g. in the Swedish RBR rank page) because to drive a very fast time you need to some very extensive cutting in nearly every corner which is stupid.

Remember that real rally drivers makes notes and drives every stage twice before hand. And they also drive stages twice in the actually rally (thanks to FIA's boneheads for this stupid rule) which you probably knew already. And finally they drive the same stages over again every year. I wonder how many times e.g. Grönholm has driven Ouninpohja and how well he memorizes some sections from the stage. So driving same stage couple of times in RBR is not that unrealistic.
Quote from JamesF1 :Count me in, Bawbag. However, the simplest way to do it is just to play RBR online against each other

There is an online patch? Woaow, I never knew that, or are you just making a fool of me?

Would be really cool if we had that though, I would ditch LFS for a few weeks untill I got bored!
Quote from Bawbag :There is an online patch? Woaow, I never knew that, or are you just making a fool of me?

Would be really cool if we had that though, I would ditch LFS for a few weeks untill I got bored!

there is an online patch, although how it works I have no idea!
Quote from Bawbag :There is an online patch? Woaow, I never knew that, or are you just making a fool of me?

Nope, patch yourself to 1.02 and then grab RBRNet 3.0 and we can play up to 12 players online. Basically, it synchronises the games, and uses ghost cars to display other player's positions. It's a great lot of fun.

Haven't played RBR in a few months due to a hell of a lot of work - but I've just recently been thinking of getting back into some proper rallying and entering a Swedish RBR league
Quote from deggis :So driving same stage couple of times in RBR is not that unrealistic.

I know it isn't unrealistic. It's just not fun.
A real rally driver has a lot more and a lot longer stages to drive. We have to economize with stages.

I began a new "Champion" rally. After my pretty wet adventure in the british rally before, I had a completely dry go at all stages this time. 6 new records. 20 seconds space to the second. Didn't have to repare anything in the service park in the complete rally.
I'm in the middle of Japan right now, awaiting Noiker II with 100% rain-chance. But I'm a rain-wizzard, each wet stage gives me 10-15 seconds space to the AI "champions". But I have to make up time now. I'm just 2 seconds ahead of the 2nd, because I had wrong tyres on Tanner.

About RBR and online: Do all drivers drive at the same time or can everyone drive when he wants, presses some button "Yes, this is the timed stage", some tool saves the replay, extrudes the sectortimes and sends them to some server?

And @crashes in RBR:
Definitely try driver-updates. Sound, mainboard, GFX, everything. And disable unnecessary software (Antivirus, etc.). RBR is incredibly stable on most computers.

Vain
-
Anyone want to organize an LFS Community RBR Online League (LFSCRBROL) in the near future? I would love to join that one!
Quote from spankmeyer :Anyone want to organize an LFS Community RBR Online League (LFSCRBROL) in the near future? I would love to join that one!

Depends on how the software works.

Vain
1) Run RBRnet.exe and choose what role you want to play (Server or Client) or use the included Lobby tool to organize a race

2) Wait for a person to join [server], or join a server [client].

3) The server must select the game options (stage, damage etc., client can choose car etc.). If you want to participate in the race you must put a checkbox next to 'Ready'.

4) The server begins the countdown and your game will automatically launch when the timer hits 0. If your game does not launch, check the 'Game Options' window and ensure your executable path is correct.

5) When in-game you can press [T] to chat/show buffer then press [Enter] to send your message or hide buffer. You can also press [Tab] to show every players' status. Press [F1 - F9] to send quick messages, these can be customized by editing 'RBRnet.ini' with notepad.

6) When you reach the finish line the status box will appear and show everyones final times and current status. If the server is also driving then he/she can type '/stop' into the chat and this will exit the game and force anyone else ingame to be booted out aswell. On a dedicated server a countdown will be started after one person has finished.
Attached files
ReadMe.txt - 11.1 KB - 691 views
#193 - Don
there is more online patches/plugins. Propably the most used one is "RBR Tournament". Using that plugin, people dont have to drive the stages at same time, but at any time during the tournament (usually 1 week). And while you are driving thru the stage, you see other peoples split times (that is if you arent the first one on the road) and after finishing the stage you can see the results also.

for more info:
http://rbr.onlinegames.cz/index.php?act=al&p=howtostart
Using RBR TOurnament for a National Cup and it's good. Sadly i suck at RBR and i only complete about 10% of all stages
Quote from Vain :
About RBR and online: Do all drivers drive at the same time or can everyone drive when he wants, presses some button "Yes, this is the timed stage", some tool saves the replay, extrudes the sectortimes and sends them to some server?

No, all drivers start at the same time after confirming their ready-status before.
Opponents appear as ghosts, but this is serverside and can be switched off in RBRnet.
RBR Tournament looks like a good idea.
Get's my .

Vain
Quote from JamesF1 :Nope, patch yourself to 1.02 and then grab RBRNet 3.0 and we can play up to 12 players online. Basically, it synchronises the games, and uses ghost cars to display other player's positions. It's a great lot of fun.

Haven't played RBR in a few months due to a hell of a lot of work - but I've just recently been thinking of getting back into some proper rallying and entering a Swedish RBR league

RBRNet 3.0 looks simple enough and seems to work ok after a quick trial.
#198 - Don
ok, i created a tournament in "RBR TOURNAMENT" plugin:

liveforspeed international tournament - link
password: lfs
1.5 hour till you can join the tournament (starts @ 14.00 CET and ends on 5.9.)
for info how to join it, read here: http://rbr.onlinegames.cz/index.php?act=al&p=howtostart

btw: if you dont finish the stage, you can retire and continue in the next stage, but carrying 180s penalty. And you have to drive all the stages at once, you can`t leave the tournament and finish it later
Accidentally posted this in the wrong thread earlier. Moved it now.

I played it non-stop (but with replay watching breaks) last night for about 5 hours. And I just can't find the sweetspot for it. It's quite clearly a better simulator than any ISI based game, and it's a better dirt sim that LFS. But the steering feels dead (as if it's really unsensitive and very non-linear), and the force feedback is unnoticable.

I've probably done something wrong, but it's not an easy game to sort out - I could spend weeks looking on RSC for something. Same with the mods - they fact that it's almost impossible for me to find anything really puts me off any form of mod. The graphics need a pep up - the default cars look utterly crap. The sound is okay, but needs volume balancing. The view needs to be from a cockpit. The engine needs to rev properly - anyone who says the fact it takes about 10 seconds to return from 7000rpm to idle is due to anti-lag is talking out of their arse.

I'm 100% sure there is a brilliant sim and game lying underneath this exterior, but I'm struggling to find it. I want to love it. But right now I can't.

The fact I'm crap at it isn't the point And I think a DFP is an absolute neccessity, but I only have a Momo. Bah, I can feel an order coming on. But I can't own a DFP for 10 minutes without having to spend £250 on FREX stuff, because the CFP is crap in it's default guise (no paddles).

Bleh, I'll just keep plodding along and crashing heavily every 200 yards. I'm sure I'm not THAT bad a driver.
Quote from Don :ok, i created a tournament in "RBR TOURNAMENT" plugin:

liveforspeed international tournament - link
password: lfs
1.5 hour till you can join the tournament (starts @ 14.00 CET and ends on 5.9.)
for info how to join it, read here: http://rbr.onlinegames.cz/index.php?act=al&p=howtostart

btw: if you dont finish the stage, you can retire and continue in the next stage, but carrying 180s penalty. And you have to drive all the stages at once, you can`t leave the tournament and finish it later

Reduced damage? I'd say it would be better not to allow modded cars, but...

Richard Burns Rally
(1109 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG