The online racing simulator
Quote from SamH :
Fortunately for the rest of the community - the vast majority of LFSers that aren't rattling their virtual sabres - the devs are continuing to do what the devs said they would continue to do; work on LFS. I very much doubt Scawen has spent more than a few minutes on the forum in the last couple of months. When he's deep in code, I know for a fact, he doesn't spend his days hanging out on the forums. He always works intensely on the code, massively focused, as a new patch is approaching.

The truth is that history has shown that when Scawen goes most quiet, good things are coming. Anyone who's been here for a few years, and who thinks about it for a moment, knows this to be the case.

If history was to be believed, we should now be playing the"usual" Christmas" patch...
Like I said before, it´s not patches or updates that worries me, it´s the community, it´s the people that work hard to support the game, and you better than anyone else should know, what costs this has... If you prefer to think that because a lot of people don´t say anything, that everything is great and everybody´s happy, that´s fine by me, but it´s not closing our eyes to a problem that it will solve itself. I really respect the way the LFS devs decided to work, but we can´t live on poetry forever. I have to believe what I see, and, for example, what I see now, it´s that in my country, Portugal, in the last year there´s no LFS community of players anymore, and there´s no one willing to take the responsability to step up and waste a "couple" of hours a week to make it a reality.
Quote from Macfox :It's not tripe Sam. It genuine sentiment (regardless if they are separate threads) and not everyone here's an empty pot.

I'm not sure what evidence you base this "quite = good" thing on, but looking back from the RSC days, the pace of development has slowed greatly, along with community participation and it's latently obvious. Those that can't see that, are either new to LFS or should take off the rose coloured glasses.

It is tripe, mate. Almost all the agitation in this thread is silly nonsense. All the information that is needed has been given. LFS is being developed, the devs are not dead, LFS is not dead.. yadayada. If it were not all empty pot nonsense, then something new would be said in this thread for someone to answer, but there isn't anything new being said. Just more repetition of the same things others have said. If you look at the total number of thread participants, recognise that the complainers are at least matched by people challenging their complaints, and compare that with the number of LFS users, you can see that this is just a small minority of antsy grumblers, many of whom are throwing baby tantrums and doing melodramatic dying swan impressions.

Of course development has slowed - anything that becomes more complex over time becomes slower to develop. That's how these things work. It's just not reasonable to refer back to the RSC days and expect things to be the same as they were at THAT time, while at the same time wanting new content and improved features. LFS as a product has grown, it continues to grow and if you WANT things to continue to grow (new cars, improved graphics/physics etc) you have to accept that.
Quote from FlyingSam :Yes, Scawen is right on what he says, but that's what happen when you promise a patch early 2009, I think they would explain why it's now delayed again without any news or posts from the devs (apart of the Scawen's post "moving house", supposely they started to work on it again on half February). Anyway, it's not in the main LFS web, where they puslish all news, so like not everybody read the forum, not everybody knows anything about Scawen and patches.

Solution? publish some news saying something like "sorry for delay, we still working on it, you will have more news soon", in that way, many people will stop asking for Scirocco, patch and devs, Don't you think?

I don't consider it delayed, but I also don't hang around here waiting for it.
That "early 2009" term is relative.
Community is the one who started defining what is early '09 and so on.

I don't think some simple 2 line post from devs will help.
Community will define "soon" as week/two weeks, most probably in days even,
and start moaning all over again after a week of silence

Anyway, I'm going home and do something else with my free time 'till I receive mail saying patch is out
Quote from chunkyracer :If history was to be believed, we should now be playing the"usual" Christmas" patch...

If you haven't yet seen the thread Scawen posted, explaining what happened and why, then it's time to go and read it. I can only think that you're deliberately ignoring it because that can be the only explanation for you not understanding why there was no Christmas patch.

Quote from chunkyracer :Like I said before, it´s not patches or updates that worries me, it´s the community, it´s the people that work hard to support the game, and you better than anyone else should know, what costs this has... If you prefer to think that because a lot of people don´t say anything, that everything is great and everybody´s happy, that´s fine by me, but it´s not closing our eyes to a problem that it will solve itself. I really respect the way the LFS devs decided to work, but we can´t live on poetry forever. I have to believe what I see, and, for example, what I see now, it´s that in my country, Portugal, in the last year there´s no LFS community of players anymore, and there´s no one willing to take the responsability to step up and waste a "couple" of hours a week to make it a reality.

I know, perhaps better than most, that the loudest voices on the forum are the people NOT playing the game. So it makes sense that you'll get a focus of people here on the forum who are making grumbling sounds about the lack of patch/es. It's always been that way. But I learned, and I learned it very well, that these people are not LFSers and bending to the will of their "rattle" will never bring good things.

The LFS developers have the destiny and destination of LFS figured out, as far into the future as it needs to be at any given stage in development. They pay their own bills and they steer LFS in the direction of their choosing. That's how they started out and it's WHY they started out, leaving the big software houses with their coding deadlines and different priorities, behind. All this happens regardless of, not because of, the rattling in this thread.
lock this thread, ban the new thread makers and get free of this shit u will not have scirocco no matter wtf u say
Your whole life can't be around lfs
Quote from FlyingSam :Yes, Scawen is right on what he says, but that's what happen when you promise a patch early 2009

Here's a good example. No promise was made. Scawen said he PLANNED to release a patch in early 2009. It was NOT a promise. It was a statement of hope/intention.

Quote from FlyingSam :Solution? publish some news saying something like "sorry for delay, we still working on it, you will have more news soon", in that way, many people will stop asking for Scirocco, patch and devs, Don't you think?

No, because whatever he says will be made into a "promise" that people will try to hold him to. Just as you have done above. You are your own best argument against your own suggestion.

[edit] ^^^ What BlackEye said.
I agree with sam, the less I have heard about test patches and updates the more excited I get. When it's this quiet for this long you know something good is coming, remember how quiet it was before we got the BF1?
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :remember how quiet it was before we got the BF1?

Oh god yeah, that was awesome. And the whole community was blindsided.. we didn't see THAT coming, at all!
Exactly, everyone was busy moaning about the lack of news and updates, it was just like this and I think we were all busy talking about some other update that was planned too. Personally I don't like the BF1, but it was a huge suprise to everyone, nobody even came close to predicting it.

If that happens again I want to lay down my predictions now, just incase it makes me look clever later on.

Give it a few more months, just before september, I think we will get...

Limited setups on most road cars
Scirocco
Extended South City track
New layout on Westhill and updated track graphics
Updates to most car models
Some improvements to the collision detection
Alien langauge translations so LFS can be played throughout the universe
and a spaceship with an Audi badge
Will this now become "predict patch content" thread?
LOL! We could have some fun with that.. but some people will then complain when the things we predicted aren't in the patch, when it comes out, despite us (the forum users) "promising" they would be. You'll see!
I predict a new car. A VW perhaps. Just putting it out there.
I predict new wheels for the XRR (I saw them on the car viewer, they kinda suck), the permanent ban of ABS from LFS, *removed for being too obivous*.
Quote from Gills4life :I predict a new car. A VW perhaps. Just putting it out there.

that's just terrible... :slap:
Quote from bunder9999 :
Quote from Gills4life :I predict a new car. A VW perhaps. Just putting it out there.

that's just obivous... :slap:

Fixed.
i call 24.05.2009 for release
Quote from jug :i call 24.05.2009 for release

But thats not even a Friday

SD.
Quote from jug :i call 01.05.2009 for release

Fixed in tribute to Ayrton Senna.
Look ok, We paid 24 quid ok. Tht was for what we got. People may monitor this thread everyday and see trolls on the thread, they get angry and then angry that the vws isnt out.

Look, i was dissapointed coming hom from school on the last day of term, on the bus seeing 1 or 2 on the road and looking forward to driving it when i was home, and seeing a vws postponed. But if you dont want to be annoyed at scawen go off the forums. Get a life realisticlly, stop worrying about a god damn game. Im not siding with the devs here, nor the trolls, im just fed up of people saying where the feck is my vws. go do something else and then the vws will be a sprise to you nd you will be thinking, wha seriously? its out!!?? instead of finally its out. The people with the finally its out mood will look at it in a critical context and then complain. Just stop been annoyed, yes i would like an update on the update but tbh, ive got other things to keep me entertained rather than a big thread about a car.

My 2 cents.
Quote from Danny LFS :Fixed in tribute to Ayrton Senna.

why?

If you already started calling out random dates for no reason, I'll join in.

I say 12th Oct, cause that's my birthday.
Quote from Fuse5 :why?

So shall I say 25th December?
Next Christmas
(we're postponing the patch by ourselves )
Hmm, maybe 2010 or later, that is normal for LFS...
Quote from Fuse5 :why?

That's my sisters birthday...are you my sister?!
Quote from SamH :LFS is being developed, the devs are not dead, LFS is not dead.. yadayada.

I have no doubt at all that LFS wouldn't be currently developed, but also the saying "too little, too late" starts coming in to play with titles like iRacing being so phenominally good and even better at some things. Too bad it's not such a great sim for drifters such as me, then again neither is LFS with its currently messed up tire physics.

The tire physics also kind of enforce my feeling that Scawen doesn't really play LFS himself, he only programs it. If he would really drive as much as some of the users do and see how utterly wrong the hot tire physics are, I'd reckon we would see a hotfix involving the tires before anything else. Or maybe they just don't matter, as racing doesn't depend on overheated tires. It's a racing sim, not a car sim, yeah.. I've heard that tune before.

Quote from SamH :If you look at the total number of thread participants, recognise that the complainers are at least matched by people challenging their complaints, and compare that with the number of LFS users, you can see that this is just a small minority of antsy grumblers, many of whom are throwing baby tantrums and doing melodramatic dying swan impressions.

You're forgetting one thing here, not everyone who is annoyed can be bothered to start posting in this forum about their dissatisfaction, they simply give up, shift + delete and move on to something else. That's one less person who gave the starting boost to get LFS as popular as it is now. But hey, who cares. They already gave their money to scavier, they aren't owed anything right?

Quote from SamH :Of course development has slowed - anything that becomes more complex over time becomes slower to develop.

The thing is, LFS hasn't really become more complex in the past years. It's still more or less the same as it was in 2005 when the last major release took place. How do you reckon that the features we have gotten now (engine stalling, better clutch, changed physics, etc) would make it any more time consuming to develop more cars and tracks for an example?

Quote from SamH :I know, perhaps better than most, that the loudest voices on the forum are the people NOT playing the game. So it makes sense that you'll get a focus of people here on the forum who are making grumbling sounds about the lack of patch/es. It's always been that way. But I learned, and I learned it very well, that these people are not LFSers and bending to the will of their "rattle" will never bring good things.

Pfffft. Some of the moaners are pure forum racers yes, but some of them are people who still care and occasionally play LFS, such as yours truly. Though, because the lack of anything new and fun, I only play it less than a fraction than what I used to in the old times. Personally I would still love to spend weeks making movies about it, spend days making skins for the community like I used to, but without anything new, there just isn't any motivation to do that kind of stuff anymore. It was great contributing to the community, but those days are long since over.

I really can't see the point of all this religious scavier protective care that some users put out either, maybe it is just those LFS colored glasses working their magic, I don't know. This forum starts feeling like some kind of a concentration camp with even the mods putting pressure on people who don't agree with the great and holy "master plan".

Anyway, I've already kind of made a gentlemans agreement with myself that I'll join the "shift + delete, forget" -club after I'll hit my 100 000 km mark at LFSW, which isn't very far anymore. I've thought to give that much time to see any proper changes in the development, if not.. well, there are other options out there to spend time with. It's simply such an utter shame considering the unbelievable potential of this sim, the sim that has been my favourite for over half a decade.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :That's my sisters birthday...are you my sister?!

Last time I checked, no, sorry.

@ velociround - postponing the patch, what? I was just referring to the fact that calling out random dates, that have nothing to do or no influence whatsoever on when we get the patch, is lame.
This thread is closed

[MERGED] Scirocco enquiry threads
(2369 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG